Tank birthday, 47+ years

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I don't envy being you right now. I have never moved a tank, much less one that has been running for 40+ years I hope the move goes well and all of your livestock survives. Fingers crossed for ya.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christie doesn't move tanks or do anything else. And that is fine.. I moved my tank here but it was only 40 gallons then. I can't see this tank living through this only because of the electricity, water and sewer situation.
I will try though. I will fill the tank with ASW as soon as I can and warm it up then come here and take the stuff out there and dump it in. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably be offline for a while as I am moving and will take the computers down. I don't have internet service there yet and will be in transit for a week or so. See you soon

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably be offline for a while as I am moving and will take the computers down. I don't have internet service there yet and will be in transit for a week or so. See you soon
Good luck with the move!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I still have one computer working, but I will take it down very soon. I can barely get to it because of all the boxes. I am a little concerned about my fish because I removed the largest out of the 3 heaters to put in the new tank out east and the water cooled down quite a bit. If I could get some firefish and flame scallops to throw in there to heat the water that would be great.
They did a lousy job of tapping my ceiling in my new house so I can't hang my lights there yet, but I have so many boxes to carry around that I won't have time anyway.
I rented a 16' truck yesterday and today and moved my tools and a lot of my fish stuff there yesterday. I have my new tank in the truck and hopefully today I will get it out there with some help and carry it out of the truck and level it on the stand. We are both Geezers so I am not sure we can get it off the truck. I guess I could always break it in half. :eek:
Of course first I have to put the vinyl tile under the stand. If that all goes well I will go to the beach and collect a lot of water now that I have this truck and dump it in the tank. I will have to diatom filter that water because where I collect it my pump lays on the sand and the water is full of seaweed and parts of Manatees that the pump chops up into tiny pieces. I hope I can get at least one of my diatom filters working.
If that all happens I will come back here this week and in one shot bring out the fish, coral, rocks and gravel and try to keep them heated in the vats while I take the gravel to a beach to clean. Of course that is going to be a horror and very heavy. I also don't think I will have help with that but I may.
My good friend from my favorite LFS will help me with the fish at the new house but he is also a Geezer and between the two of us this will be a job. If this was 20 years ago i would have thrown the tank on my back and walked into the ocean to fill it up, but age prevents you from doing certain things. :rolleyes:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure the tank size or if Two Men and a Truck are available out there but they are very reasonable strong-backs. I had 3 for my last move, they disassembled moved and reassembled what ever was needed and can be hired by the hour. Good Luck & Congrats on New Home, Jeep, and Tank.

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doin't forget please and take lots of pictures as you set up the new tank; we don't see too often 44 years old tank success stories. Keep my fingers crossed for all your fish and corals!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. We made it here and the tank has been set up for 3 days. All the fish and corals seem to have made it but I still can't find 2 porceleon crabs. They may be there but hard to find.
I will start a tank move thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back