Tank birthday, 47+ years

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! Congratulations on the successful move. Hope the rest of the move goes just as well.
You sound like a you could use a bottle or 2 of Grand Marnier ;)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is doing a little better, thanks. It's very overwhelming for her, especially without the elevator yet that I will try to get a permit for very soon, as soon as I hook up my printer.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my tank and the temp was about 70, the lights were also on for the last 2 or 3 nights and the water level is about 6" low. The fish and corals don't seem to mind and it is not something I did on purpose. I am just a little busy now with the move.

Many people have had solutions as to why my tank and a few others don't ever get parasites or anything else and a few things have been theorized. UG filter that traps parasites, but my UG filter has not yet been connected here. Ozone kills parasites. Maybe it does, I don't know but I can't even find my ozonizer, much less connected it to anything. My skimmer is in the far corner of the room with a few pieces missing so I didn't hook it up yet.
I have not diatom filtered this tank yet. I tried but the diatom filter I found leaked like a sieve so that didn't work. I just collected the water in the sea and let it settle. Hopefully there are parasites in it to keep up their immunity. I don't have blackworms or clams but I do still have live whiteworms and dirt.
I can't hatch brine shrimp and don't yet have the LRS food they are used to. The new NSW they are in along with about 25 or 30 gallons of my old water probably has a nitrate reading of 30 or so. The water they came from had a reading of 160. I didn't check it but the NSW here has no nitrates. Just old frankfurter water after it passes NYC. I didn't hook up my RO/Di until yesterday so I have to use some tap water.

The fish are healthy because they are immune, not because of UG filters, Ozone, diatom filter, stable parameters or the best one, my fish are all easy and not susceptible to ich.

Fish are not delicate creatures that need to be coddled. We make them that way by messing with them and their immune system.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Floyd, How are you doing? Nice of you to stop by. I moved the tank 60 miles and started a Move Tank thread. I moved everything in the tank but I bought a new tank as mine was all scratched and It was built in the wall. I filled the new tank with mostly NSW like you can collect where you live. :rolleyes: Everything is fine and I didn't lose as much as a pod.

The tank was without lights for almost a week and there is still no thermometer, skimmer, algae scrubber, ozone, UG filter or almost anything else. I still need to add most of the gravel and a lot of rocks.

How are you doing?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Paul, I have a question. I know you are now retired but how did you maintain your tank all those years when you were working? I work full time and do alot of the maintenance on my home as I am like you in the way that I hate paying someone to do something that I can do better.[emoji4] I also collect nsw for my water changes and try to feed my fish as healthy and fresh food as possible. It really gets overwhelming some days and I wonder how you managed with a much larger tank all those years...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know how you kept the Godzilla larvae under control during the move! ;)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I have a question. I know you are now retired but how did you maintain your tank all those years when you were working? I work full time and do alot of the maintenance on my home as I am like you in the way that I hate paying someone to do something that I can do better.[emoji4] I also collect nsw for my water changes and try to feed my fish as healthy and fresh food as possible. It really gets overwhelming some days and I wonder how you managed with a much larger tank all those years...

Remember I rarely do water changes or test anything. My maintenance is cleaning the front glass and feeding. That's about it. I didn't have a skimmer that I remember in the early days and if I did it was a small DIY one that didn't require maintenance. Even today with my 125 gallon tank I do almost nothing but feed. What else is there to do?
Of course I may have to pick up a coral that fell but I can't think of anything else to do. When I have my algae scrubber I need to clean it once a month or so. That takes about 10 minutes. I still don't have my UG filter running so no Ozone. I don't clean my powerheads for a very long time and most of them are not Korelas which you need to clean constantly because of the grill that is exposed to light so they grow algae.

Yesterday I fed my worms some bread and yogurt for the first time since I have moved almost 5 weeks ago. That takes about 8 minutes. I know people spend all sorts of time on this, but I don't know what they are doing.
You throw fish in, they eat, grow and poop, then 15 or so years later croak of old age and I buy another one.

Now I have no time at all. I am building my garage and workshop along with the light fixtures, shelves, painting, my workbench and all sorts of things besides helping my wife and cleaning the house. Sometimes my fish don't get to eat. They get over it as I did in Viet Nam when I sometimes didn't have time to eat. Fish are not delicate creatures and don't need coddling. :D

Brew, Godzilla Larvae can take care of themselves. They are very resourceful but only speak Japanese so I am not sure if they need anything.

Floyd. The UG filter is there but it is just collecting Social Security as it is not connected to anything. Eventually I will find that pump and install it. Right now I have a ton of gravel and rocks sitting in bleach because it turned to hydrogen sulfide in a bucket. Eventually, Hopefully in my lifetime, I will rinse it and throw it in my tank so I can use the UG filter. :rolleyes:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that the bottles in the tank made the trip ok also. :) I hope the wife gets settled in to her new surroundings and gets to feeling better soon.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Fin. :D
My wife is having a hard time but is feeling better about the place. Our friends spent the day with us helping us do all sorts of things because there is so many things to do. Hang pictures, shelves, make closets, throw out garbage and boxes etc. We just got back from taking them out to our marina for a nice seafood dinner under the stars. We have extremely fantastic friends that we have had almost all our lives.

I feel very bad for my wife as she is my childhood Sweetheart and I picked a good one.
She is a very good person and after 44 years we still get along great and are still best friends. I am very lucky to have her. :cool:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is a very good person and after 44 years we still get along great and are still best friends. I am very lucky to have her. :cool:
Isn't this one of the most important things in life? I didn't meet my wife early enough imo. We have only been married 14 years but our waiter last night thought we were newlyweds. Having a great wife has made life fantastic.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back