OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That blue striped wrasse is fine, he just got a little headache. But I had to go away this past weekend to speak about pollution and I found one of my yellow wrasses decided to jump out. I am not sure if he was imitating the striped one but he didn't fare to well.

Unfortunately, very healthy fish can jump higher than not so healthy fish. To get out he had to jump over an algae trough and past some other obstacles so he had to go about 12".

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something makes me think it's more than simple coincidence – there's something in there that has startled both of those wrasses. Do you have any big serpent stars?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something makes me think it's more than simple coincidence – there's something in there that has startled both of those wrasses. Do you have any big serpent stars?
This +1

Has someone in your neighborhood been playing rap music too loud?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This +1

Has someone in your neighborhood been playing rap music too loud?

No serpent stars, horseshoe crabs, manta rays etc. They get excited and jump. I am not sure about Rap music. Sometimes some Jiboni drives by blasting that noise and both me and the fish jump. I normally jump higher.
But now I have space in my tank for a new fish. I wish I could catch that blue striped wrasse because I would give him away. He is a little larger than I would like and he doesn't dance well but he is very healthy and can jump real high. He also eats to much so between him and the copperband I have to go on food stamps to feed both of them.:rolleyes:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No joke about their propensity to jump....just confluence of the timing of those two jumps and the potential similarity of habit they might have shared. (In fact, maybe the two of them weren't getting along at night....don't need a third party for someone to be guilty! :p)

I've wrasses perform amazing feats of escape as well as feats of re-entry. Out of the exits, the carpet surfers are predictable I guess. But the ones that exit a top-row of tanks through a tiny <1" opening only to come down into a tank immediately below it in the the lower row of tanks through another 1"opening catch your attention! And this was a good sized red-headed wrasse...I know he had to rattle the lid when he left the first tank!

If we didn't hand-count for presence and location of every single fish on the way out at night and again when we opened up in the morning, I wouldn't have been so sure about what I had actually found. ;)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't hand count my fish and am not even sure what fish I have in there. Some of them, like the clingfish I only see occasionally and these wrasses spend some times below the gravel. I had this fish a couple of years and it was given to me by a friend who had it a few years. They were spawning which also makes them jump as my wife sometimes makes me jump :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boat went in the water today so in a little while I will be going out to collect amphipods and mud. My tank will appreciate it. I still have amphipods from last year but it is nice to collect new ones so they get some new blood. I also want to get a nice handful of mud to throw in there. :D

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a couple of queen anthius a couple of days ago to keep my only one company. I can't say yet if they get along because I think they are different types of anthius. My old one has a yellow stripe under his dorsal and the new ones are all purple.
I may airbrush them to see if they hang out together.
Ialso got a new anemone crab. Now I think I have 6 of them but usually only find two. I don't know where the others hang out.
Everything else looks good, no problems. I wish I could get another clingfish to keep mine company and spawn. They don't order them because no one but me wants a fish that is dark brown and hides virtually all the time.
A video from last year.

What is that thing that the mandarins and pipe fish are eating from?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a mandarin feeder. I invented the thing for fish that live on pods. You fill it from the surface with new born brine shrimp and the fish suck them out all day

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my yellow wrasses jumped out leaving room in my tank for another fish. I liked that wrasse and have a larger stripped one that also jumped out, but he hit me in the nose so I saved him. I would rather have the yellow one. If I could catch that striped one, I will give it AWAY unfortunately there is no catching him so I will just have to wait until he grows a foot or two longer and I will be able to grab his tail when he makes a "U" turn.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every try hook and line?

It's possible he might just spook and hide too easily for anything like this to work, but....

A #3 fly fishing hook (with or without barb – it's tiny) with correct string and baited with something like a mysid shrimp works amazingly well. I've never seen that method take more than 5 minutes on a fish that's out and swimming....just don't let anyone else take the bait. Easy enough since you have a face-level view, crystal clear water and a hand on the string! :)

It's a little bit of a pain vs leaving a trap in the tank....but I dunno if I've ever seen a trap work. Stories, yes. ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every try hook and line?

It's possible he might just spook and hide too easily for anything like this to work, but....

A #3 fly fishing hook (with or without barb – it's tiny) with correct string and baited with something like a mysid shrimp works amazingly well. I've never seen that method take more than 5 minutes on a fish that's out and swimming....just don't let anyone else take the bait. Easy enough since you have a face-level view, crystal clear water and a hand on the string! :)

It's a little bit of a pain vs leaving a trap in the tank....but I dunno if I've ever seen a trap work. Stories, yes. ;)
I'd prefer to see him paint a target on his nose and hold a bucket under his chin. Feed the tank, lean in close, and hope the fish goes for the target again! :p

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can easily catch that fish on a hook because he is the fastest fish I have and always grabs the biggest piece of clam. If I find someone who wants him, I may do that.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those four anthias look much better now after about 5 weeks in the tank. You can't see it in the video, but their tails now are longer and pointier and two of them are tipped with a fluorescent orange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNErRoboN_o

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a mandarin feeder. I invented the thing for fish that live on pods. You fill it from the surface with new born brine shrimp and the fish suck them out all day
How did you make it, David wants to make one when we're ready for mandarins

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 117 74.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back