Tank birthday, 47+ years

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They set bombs in those phones that after 3 years it only works in the stores and the only way to transfer over your phone numbers is to get the most expensive new phone they have which you can pay off in only 10 years of paying $35 a month, in which case after 3 years it will only work in the store and the only way you can transfer over your phone numbers...

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right. I didn't but the new phone. I bought a car instead. It was cheaper.

Should have gotten that bad boy with a helcat[emoji6] A but more "bang for your buck"

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find my clingfish. I have not seen him for a few days. He could be under the UG filter or maybe took a vacation. It's not like he ever goes near the front of the tank or anything so he may show up.
The 4 Queen Anthias still look great and are growing, their tails are much longer and more colorful too. I went to get some more because the LFS said they had them, but someone beat me to it and they were gone.
It is raining here today so I don't want to do anything on my boat so I started building a Steam Punk anglerfish which I think is looking very "Snazzy."
I could clean my algae filter as it is growing produce but on days like this you don't feel like doing much.

Annette Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e49d6e3131893f3d8b5392518ccd4f2e.jpg

Paul I don't have to look for my clingfish ever. But he won't let me clean my glass since they started laying eggs there. If I even get close he smacks me with his tail.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I go to Home Depot for a few things to finish up some Steam Punk projects and re cycle some fluorescent light bulbs. Every time I go there, or better yet, a good Hardware store I have to peruse the hardware aisle. I just like the smell of steel, brass and copper.

As I am walking around, my cell phone rings. I take it out, look at it and see who it is. When I try to answer it, it goes blank. I go to put it away and it comes on again. I go to talk, and it goes blank, I go to put it away and I hear "Beep" and I lost the caller.

So I walk around a little more and decide to call my wife because she wanted me to pick up something and I never pay attention to these things so I forgot what it was.

I call my wife and I hear "Hello". I go to talk and I get "beep" and the thing goes dead.

I call her back and see that she answered, I go to talk and "beep".

"Jesus Mary and Josephine" What the heck is going on? It's like I am in the Twilight Zone stuck in a phone time warp with no way out.

I have been having trouble with this phone but not like this.

My wife calls me back. I say, "My Phone is ............................." and it goes dead. No screen, no noise, nothing.

So I figure the thing is toast and I will have to get a new phone.

I check out and as I am walking to my car, the phone rings. I answer it expecting it to go dead, and it works fine.

I call back my friend and it works fine.

"AHA" It hits me. I think I know what happened. I picked up the stuff I bought in Home Depot, put the phone next to it, and it goes dead.

I bought a cabinet magnet that keeps a door closed. I took out my phone with my right hand and then transfer the phone to my left hand to talk. I just like my left ear better what can I tell you.

My left hand had the magnet in it. I didn't know that when you put the phone next to a magnet, it croaks.

Who Knew!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is looking real good. It usually does but I had nothing really to say. I don't get dino's, hair algae, ich, carpenter ants, bryopsis, flatworms or any of that stuff. If I did, it goes away. Actually I do have some cyano but I have had some of that for decades. I actually like the purple tinge as it matches my eyes. My 5 Queen Anthias are looking real fine and growing. The store had to sell them to me real quick because they can't keep them alive. They are a type of fish you can't throw squashed brine shrimp or flakes at and expect them to thank you and
do the Macarana.
I really thought my very old Bangai Cardinal would die of old age by now but he still looks great. I also think my pair of bluestripe pipefish are well past their lifetime but they keep spawning. Lucky fish. My fireclowns spawn like rabbits as do my mandarins. I stepped up hatching brine shrimp due to all the Anthias but it benefits the other fish as well.
Too bad one of my yellow wrasses jumped out because I think they were also spawning.
I don't remember how old my copperband is but he is my biggest eater by far and it is hard to keep enough worms and clams for him. He eats more than all my other fish combined except for this annoying blue striped wrasse. He jumped out once and hit me in the nose. I should have left him on the floor as he is too big. But I got a big heart and threw him back.
Still don't see my clingfish and he may be on the floor someplace or stuck under the UG filter.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is looking real good. It usually does but I had nothing really to say. I don't get dino's, hair algae, ich, carpenter ants, bryopsis, flatworms or any of that stuff. If I did, it goes away. Actually I do have some cyano but I have had some of that for decades. I actually like the purple tinge as it matches my eyes. My 5 Queen Anthias are looking real fine and growing. The store had to sell them to me real quick because they can't keep them alive. They are a type of fish you can't throw squashed brine shrimp or flakes at and expect them to thank you and
do the Macarana.
I really thought my very old Bangai Cardinal would die of old age by now but he still looks great. I also think my pair of bluestripe pipefish are well past their lifetime but they keep spawning. Lucky fish. My fireclowns spawn like rabbits as do my mandarins. I stepped up hatching brine shrimp due to all the Anthias but it benefits the other fish as well.
Too bad one of my yellow wrasses jumped out because I think they were also spawning.
I don't remember how old my copperband is but he is my biggest eater by far and it is hard to keep enough worms and clams for him. He eats more than all my other fish combined except for this annoying blue striped wrasse. He jumped out once and hit me in the nose. I should have left him on the floor as he is too big. But I got a big heart and threw him back.
Still don't see my clingfish and he may be on the floor someplace or stuck under the UG filter.

Those pipefish are absolutely amazing. Some day I am going to set up a natural tank like yours. Until then, I think it would only be cruel for me to try and keep a species like that.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are small but probably my favorite fish. Their blue stripe is similar to fresh water neons and it is practically luminescent . They are the easiest pipefish and enjoy hunting in caves but I think the baby brine shrimp I give them every day really makes their colors pop and allows them to spawn.
I think they would be tough in a sterile tank as most fish have trouble in that type of tank.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I went to a friend of mine who owns a LFS here on Long Island. His 250 gallon, fifteen year old reef tank sprung a leak on the bottom. He was removing all the rock, coral and fish to empty the tank into big vats.
I feel sorry for the guy and the store is kind of flooded from this tank. I know he will lose a lot of livestock from that tank.

My Steam Punk anglerfish.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Floyd, I was going for detritus but accidently came up with Awesome. :rolleyes:

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pictures of your queen anthias? I've been planning to keep ventralis and perhaps queen anthias. Do they feed on anything besides live brine? I'm thinking I'll have to start hatching my own

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a video. I think Steven Spielberg took it. They eat new born brine shrimp and frozen baby brine shrimp. After a while they eat almost anything very tiny and meaty.

And a picture

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had some friends on our boat last night for diner and there was a mildew smell in the head (bathroom) I changed the screens on the windows last week and apparently didn't seal the window very tight and the heavy rain we had this week soaked in to all the towels and they got moldy so we had to take everything home to wash. My wife is an extreme fanatic about cleanliness so now we have to go and bleach everything even though it is about 60 degrees and windy.
Anyway, while she is doing that I will collect some grass shrimp which there are thousands around my boat. I probably can't collect amphipods yet because there is no seaweeds yet growing there where they congregate to and I am not going to my collection tide pool today because it is to cold and I don't feel like jumping into 50 degree water.
I also probably won't collect any mud because I don't take that from my marina as those bacteria are always high from PCBs, LSD, Quaaludes, fuel oil, anthrax and now, Clorox. (from my wife's cleaning)
But as soon as it gets back at least into the 70s I can get some mud.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also probably won't collect any mud because I don't take that from my marina as those bacteria are always high from PCBs, LSD, Quaaludes, fuel oil, anthrax and now, Clorox. (from my wife's cleaning).
This is amazing[emoji23]

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got another Queen anthias today at my favorite LFS, Aquarium Village from my favorite LFS worker, Andy and he is doing very well. He settled in with his 5 friends and was enjoying a sumptuous meal of new born brine shrimp with a side order of clams.
I acclimated them for 15 or 20 minutes and threw them in. They started to smile before they hit the water.

I also got another flasher wrasse and I have not seen him yet because that is what flasher wrasses do. Everything but flash. Well occasionally they do, but they do it very sparingly. But I am sure I will see him in a day or so.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I had to do some maintenance because I could use my algae scrubber as a produce stand and my three powerheads are not even putting out enough flow to make a bowlegged pod get out of breath. I haven't changed water in so long that I dropped a net in there and it is still standing up.
So I took off the algae screen and clogged my sink cleaning it. Then I reached in to grab the powerhead and BAM, POW, ZZZZZZZZ, BBBUZZZZzzzz. I am embarrassed to say I got a huge shock. It was so huge it threw me back, out the front door, across the street into the path of a 1967 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser.
OK, I may have ad libbed a little, but I did hit the couch on my knees. Being an electrician (and a real Man) these things don't normally bother me but I did immediately look in the mirror to see if my hair started to grow back. Only out of my nose it seems. There is nothing wrong with my powerhead, the problem is with me. When I built my very cool water cooled LED light fixture I added about 10 bare wires sticking straight up an inch or so that I use as test points in case an LED goes out. But, I know I am not supposed to have one arm in the water while my other arm is touching one of those live wires. My nervous system generally frowns on that sort of thing. As you know, electricians do things in their own homes that we would never do in some one else's house. You should see my panel.
All is well and most of my fish stopped laughing.
I don't need an excuse to post Greta.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back