Tank birthday, 47+ years

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a ats and a fuge and a mangrove tank.

What about the goby? Anything I can do if it happens again?

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your domolite it is fairly small right? A little bit smaller than crushed coral if I am not mistaken.

What does the inside of your skimmer look like besides bubbles? Where are the entry and exit, What do the pipes on the inside the reaction chamber look like?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread spans all subjects and it also has a couple of posts about fish, but the vast majority of it is about wasps, boats, illnesses, Paris Hilton, the Florida Keys, Jeeps and of course Supermodels
Lol you remind me of the author Carl hiasen if you havent read his books I think you'd like them

Yes it does jump around quite a bit. :rolleyes:

Chris, if what happens again?
The water enters my skimmer at the top then goes to the bottom where another pump just circulates the water through a venture valve (adding bubbles) and sends it back into the bottom of the skimmer at an angle so the water swirls around before it goes out the bottom and back to the tank.

We just got home from boating, a storm was coming and we just made it back to the dock before it hit. Collecting was very good and I got about a thousand amphipods and some snails along with mud. The snails were an accident but they live in my tank for a few months. I am going back tomorrow but I won't collect as I have enough. Just off that tide pool is the place I normally anchor and hang out.
That tide pool starts behind me here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE have friends in Austin Texas that we face timed while we were out. They were in their pool which they said is 92 degrees. That doesn't seem to refreshing to me. The water behind my boat is about 68, which, to me is perfect when it is 92 degrees out. Today is about 90 with very high humidity so the water was refreshing.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does jump around quite a bit. :rolleyes:

Chris, if what happens again?
The water enters my skimmer at the top then goes to the bottom where another pump just circulates the water through a venture valve (adding bubbles) and sends it back into the bottom of the skimmer at an angle so the water swirls around before it goes out the bottom and back to the tank.

We just got home from boating, a storm was coming and we just made it back to the dock before it hit. Collecting was very good and I got about a thousand amphipods and some snails along with mud. The snails were an accident but they live in my tank for a few months. I am going back tomorrow but I won't collect as I have enough. Just off that tide pool is the place I normally anchow and hang out.
That tide pool starts behind me here.

Paul, I live at the beach in Florida, fish all the time and get to see the endless array of copepods, amphipods and various crustacean larvae. Many times Ive used a fine sien net to collect with, fear the bugs selco and green water and then froze for fish and coral food. I have considered just dropping live ones in the tank but have always hesitated as I didn't want to introduce anything that would start eating corals. Have you ever had a problem like that?

alcommander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul... just want to let you know that I have started reading this trend and it looks like I need to go back to the beginning to get the full gist of it. Hope to learn a lot by following.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I live at the beach in Florida, fish all the time and get to see the endless array of copepods, amphipods and various crustacean larvae. Many times Ive used a fine sien net to collect with, fear the bugs selco and green water and then froze for fish and coral food. I have considered just dropping live ones in the tank but have always hesitated as I didn't want to introduce anything that would start eating corals. Have you ever had a problem like that?

No, never had that problem. But remember the stuff I am collecting here in New York would never have seen coral.
Al, that's a lot of reading, I don't think I even read it all.; :rolleyes:
I can't believe it is going on for 6 years

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby was egg bound and past away this morning. Just wondering if there is some way to relieve the fish of eggs if it happens again to another fish.

Yes it is a long read with all the articles it took me a little over two weeks.

alcommander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, never had that problem. But remember the stuff I am collecting here in New York would never have seen coral.
Al, that's a lot of reading, I don't think I even read it all.; :rolleyes:
I can't believe it is going on for 6 years[/QUOTE

I agree Paul but I feel I will learn a lot

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris I have had quite a few egg bound fish die from being egg bound. I can't say that anything I tried works and I think all the stuff people use are just a guess. It's a mechanical problem with the fish and I think only a caesarian will fix it but it is not always pleasant for the Mother

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We normally spend the summer laying in the water in back of our boats like tea bags letting the amphipods frolic in our leg hairs while someone pushes out floats full of shrimp cocktail, and pina colada's.
It's tough but someone has to do it. That's called retiring and I know there are a whole lot of people who would rather work until they die. That wasn't me and that's the main reason I didn't go to college. (There was also that war thing with the draft :eek:) I wanted a job with a set retirement day and a pension. I also wanted to be back home in my house at 3:00. I was lucky enough to be able to plan my life like that, but I had to wait 3 years to get the job I wanted and in that time I had to do side jobs to live. But it paid off.
Of course I had to kill myself for 40 years mostly outside in the rain and snow. But I always had too many hobbies and my free time was the most important thing to me. :cool:
Today I realize even construction jobs require college, even mine but I lucked out and they didn't start that until I was past that. :D

upload_2017-7-1_18-35-54.png

Last edited:

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks paul. I will let you enjoy your holiday and get back with you in a few days . Hope you guys had fun it looks like a blast!!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was actually a couple of years ago. Have a great Fourth of July. :p

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While exploring with the kids I just found that the stream in my backyard is full of copepods... freshwater... I tried feeding them to my tank but my fish weren't very interested. Bummer.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also tried that a long time ago. Fish are picky unfortunately but I don't know how they can tell the difference. Maybe if you put some salt on them. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July.
We celebrated America's birthday from our boat as we usually do with good friends that we have had since high school.
Anchored in Port Washington we could see the fireworks from New York Harbor, The Bronx and Connecticut as well as over our heads in the harbor. Great weather and great night.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected a bunch more amphipods and mud yesterday as I was exploring the muddy tide pool. There are thousands of baby horseshoe crabs but the mud there is shoe sucking mud and you sink up to your knees and lose your shoes. I am surprised the crabs like it.
It's places like that which keeps horseshoe crabs abundant in the Long Island Sound but unfortunately, the horseshoe crabs are less every year. I used to see dozens of adults hanging around or mating. This year so far I have seen one adult.
Their muddy habitats are slowly disappearing to condo's and parking lots. The place I go is a wildlife preserve but it is only about 200 yards long which isn't real big and the part the crabs spawn in is not much larger than a medium size home.
Even the fiddler crabs are disappearing. I still find maybe a hundred or two there, but I used to see thousands.
I still collect mud there for the bacteria and I am sure that will always be available.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey paul hope you guys had fun!!! I am glad to see your wife out and about. How is her treatment doing? How was your acupuncture?

I had a great time took the kids to the waterpark the went to a parade and watched the firework show.

So back to my questions... Sorry if I missed it but what what temp(color) leds are you using? What do you prefer and why?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife's stem cells seem to be working, but it is too early to tell. We should be able to tell in another 6 months and we are praying.
My acupuncture was uneventful as was the result. I feel no different but will go two or three more times just for fun. :rolleyes:

I am using two thirds white and one third royal blue. The only reason is because I built my water cooled LED system from an old fixture someone gave me and that's what it had. It has been running about 2 years and so far, everything is good. If I wanted to keep more delicate SPS I would need more intensity, but I am happy keeping what I am keeping. I do supplement those LEDs with 2 store bought multi color led "floodlight looking things" to highlight a couple of SPS that looked like they needed more light. I can show you them if you like but I don't have a picture right now.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back