Tank birthday, 47+ years

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now realize they are Native Americans and a guy like me who is from Brooklyn is really a foreigner. :cool:
Even worse, you are a Yankee. How do you like being called by that offensive term? Could you imagine if they named a sports team after that racially tinged nick name? ;Facepalm

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love reading your posts and have learned a lot from you just by reading them. You have always answered my questions without making me feel like a dumb newbie, which I am [emoji4] . You're a very nice man, thank you for helping me.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the best place in the Caribbean to scuba or snorkel. My husband and I have only been to Freeport for a day and are planning a nice trip for our anniversary and would definitely like to learn how to scuba or at least snorkel. We live in Florida so anywhere on this coast would be great.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did invite you guys but it must have gotten lost in the mail. :rolleyes:

I am going to my boat now even though it is 90 degrees because I have to load it with beer and wine as we go through a lot of that for some reason. Depending on who we bring we need different things, last week we needed Vodka. The boat can only hold so much drinks so we have to know what that particular crowd is drinking. The refrigerator is tiny.
Today I won't take the Sea Ray out but I may just go out by myself in the dinghy for a little bit.
SCUBAbeth, if you and your husband were here I could take you diving. No sharks or manta rays but since the visibility is so bad, you can imagine anything you like :p
I would love to meet you and go boating with you. You sound so fun!When I was a teenager and a young adult I used to go boating with my mom, dad, and sister. When we were young we went out on the lakes in Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia. Then my dad and I moved to Florida and used to go out around Tampa and Port Richey. Loved it. Haven't been out in about 20 years. I miss it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cdmckinzie. I think the best place to dive in the Caribbean may be Aruba but I think the other best place to dive there is the Caymans. They are drift dives there so you just drift over the corals and there is no swimming involved. Jamaica is probably the worst diving there. Saint Lucia isn't bad as they have a great wall dive that goes down many hundreds of feet but there is a lot of life on the wall. It's called the Pitons where the wall is.
I dove all of the Caribbean and I would have to look through my dive log to really figure which I liked the best. But none of the Caribbean comes close to Tahiti.

Last edited:

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCUBAbeth, if you get to Bora Bora, stay away from those silly huts. They only built them because there is no dry land there.
The one road that goes around the circular Island has little to nothing on it except as I said Bloody Mary's Bar and how long can you stay in a bar?
The only thing they sell in Bora Bora is black pearls so if you need those, go there.
We went to a black pearl shop (actually you can't miss them because they are like Starbucks in Manhattan) The girl asks you what price range you are looking for. You can go from $50.00 each to how much my Daughter spends on shoes.
You tell her how much you want to waste, I mean spend and if you say a thousand dollars each (which we didn't say) she gives you a shoebox filled with thousand dollar black pearls.
You take this cardboard box that is worth the same as Trump Tower and bring it to a table to look through it so you can pick out how many you need for a pendant, necklace or nose ring. I would imagine that you can take one of these pearls and stick it up your nose and walk out. We didn't do that as my nostrils are not big enough.
They take the pearls and X Ray them to see how thick the nacre, or shell is. Then they drill it and either string them or put a loop in so you can wear it "wherever".
We bought a couple and as we were leaving the girl, who was kind of a Supermodel said to us "Where are you from". We said New York. She said "Where in New York". We said Long Island. She said "Where on Long Island.
We said New Hyde Park. I said Where are you from? She said "Mineola". Mineola is walking distance from my house. I said, That is some commute.
What are the chances you go to the complete other side of the world, the farthest place you can travel and still be on earth and meet someone from your town!
Now that is a little far to go for a job. :cool:
Oh, I am such a sucker for jewelry!!! (OK, the really expensive pearls would be out for me.) When I was in Japan, I went to Mikimoto Pearl Island and picked out some pearls for earrings. It was neat to learn about the pearl farming process. I would love some black pearls someday!

How funny, though, that you met someone from an area right by your house all the way on the other side of the world! Small world, indeed!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beth, I think the black pearls only come from Tahiti and they only get them on a remote Island in Tahiti and I think it is uninhabited. They told us it is to polluted off of Bora Bora which seems odd to me as almost no one lives there.
The pearls vary from shades of green, to blue to jet black.
My wife got two of them for a pendant necklace for her and our Daughter. You can get a nice one for $150.00 or less which would be much cheaper than you can get it here.
They don't have much in any other jewelry except black pearls.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure where you can "SNUBA" as I have never done that. You would have to call the resort and ask.
WE used to go to the all inclusives in the Caribbean every year but there are all inclusives and there are all inclusives. The ones called Super all Inclusives are much better. (I wonder where they got that name from) The Super All inclusives offer everything for free and you don't have to wait at the bar. They run after you with drinks which are included as is everything else. Of course the Super places cost much more but it depends on what you want to do. If you don't drink, don't parasail, don't surf, don't Kayak, don't SCUBA, SNUBA or snorkel, don't pick a Super All inclusive or you will be wasting your money. As a matter of fact, if you don't do any of those things, why are you going to the Caribbean? Maybe go to Bayone New Jersey! :eek:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I post this story about going to the mall. I am sure I did so If I did, don't read it as it is boreing.

A while ago I was in a store, a women's store because my wife was not feeling well and I had to return something. It was also in a Mall, and I don't do Malls. I get that mall look as soon as I walk in so I try to run out as fast as I can. Anyway there were about 3 women on line so I assumed it wouldn't take long. Wrong. I mean 3 ladies, how long could it take?

So the first one goes up to the checkout girl and they start talking about kids, cellulite, the sizes on European clothes etc. That takes 10 minutes and she leaves. The next Lady knows the sales girl so they exchange E Mail addresses, look at each other's kid pictures, converse on when they went to grade school etc. After 10 or 15 minutes, she is finished and leaves. The next lady, after waiting in line for 20 minutes decides she wants a different color "thing" whatever she bought so we all wait while they go and look for this non existent item. They couldn't find it so they look in the store room, then call all the other stores in the area. I am standing there getting a heart attack and a nervous breakdown, probably also growing ingrown toenails. Finally, after seemingly a weekend, she leaves with out buying anything so it is my turn. I just want to return this thing. She wants to know what is wrong with it. How do I know? I don't even know what it is, just take it back, I don't even need my money back, just get me out of here. She gives me a nasty look, probably because I didn't want to see a picture of her kid, or dog.

I get to leave and go have a drink. How do you women shop? Like, don't you have other things to do than wait in line all day?

There should be a Man store strictly for Men. And only real Men should be allowed to go. I mean, maybe they need to give you a Man card or tattoo a bar code on your arm, next to a battle ship or cro bar. In a Man store there would only be Supermodels working there, but they don't have to do anything but point. I would walk in and say something like "Where do you keep your chain saws", and she would point to the place.

The price would be clearly marked on the thing in wide magic marker including the tax and anything else they want to charge me. But the price should be rounded off to the nearest dollar. No change because change is for Sissies and Girly men, (who shouldn't be allowed in the store anyway) Then the Supermodel would point to the door where there is a bucket. You throw approximately the amount of your purchase into the bucket and leave to go use your chain saw. Sometimes you would throw in a little more, sometimes a little less, but at the end of the year, it will all work out. You wouldn't need silly accountants to figure out every penny and no need to carry change to the bank.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Empress it certainly is an awesome place. I haven't ben there in almost 50 years so I am not sure if it has changed. But as I mentioned, when you are in the Army you can go anyplace you want so we went searching for ghost towns. There are a few scattered all over the place there but most of them are just a couple of rusty pitchforks and a piece of a Starbucks sign with a plaque that reads, "This is Tombstone" or "Welcome to Wagon Wheel, ATM in the back, Population Zero".
I don't remember finding anything of significance. But the scenery up in the mountains is totally cool. They said you can see three states from on top of one of the mountains but I couldn't make out the black lines between them so I wasn't sure what I was looking at.
I also liked Manitou Springs. I am sure I spelled it wrong as you have to be an "Indian", or Native American to spell it. I love Indian stuff. At that time we called them Indians, I now realize they are Native Americans and a guy like me who is from Brooklyn is really a foreigner. :cool:

My friend and me would take either an M-60 tank of an APC (armored personal carrier) out on the prairie and look for buffalo, ghost towns or girls. No girls or ghosts, just buffalo. We didn't hit any.
I am sure I must have mentioned it in this thread 12 times but in case I didn't I will tell it again until I can think of something else to write. I was going out with a girl I met in Denver. (She is the one with the cute flounder face)
She had a Volkswagon. I told her where to meet me next to the fence of the Govt. land. She and her friend parked her car next to the fence and we lifted them over using the barrel from the gun on the tank.
We spent the day exploring the plains, it was very cool. I am sure I would still be in Jail if anyone found out but I was a Sargent and had a "little" pull, but not much.
I am sure that was the only time those girls had a date in a 120,000lb tank. We had no artillery shells so we couldn't play with the gun. :rolleyes:

You spelled it right. Funny you should say...I'm part Cherokee Indian and was born in the Bronx and lived in Brooklyn until I started speaking Spanish. Then onto Vermont and then Colorado. It's such a small world. [emoji289]

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's COOL :D

WE dug an underground fort when we were probably 15 in a dirt lot. It was probably 5' deep and had a wooden roof that had about a foot of dirt on it. WE grew older and forgot about it. Trees grew all over it.
Then one day they were building a Supermarket in that lot. A bulldozer was clearing the land and he backed up over our fort and the thing fell in backwards. Just the blade was sticking out. They had to get a crane to get the thing out.
Who knew the fort was still there? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You spelled it right. Funny you should say...I'm part Cherokee Indian and was born in the Bronx and lived in Brooklyn until I started speaking Spanish. Then onto Vermont and then Colorado. It's such a small world. [emoji289]

So you are part Native American/Bronx/Brooklyn, Spanish, Vermontian/Coloradian person.
I was born in Bensonhurst Brooklyn right on the border of Coney Island. My parents were born in Manhattan. I was stationed in Colorado Springs (Fort Carson) for maybe 6 months.
My Grand Parents on both sides both came from a small fishing village in Sicily. Maybe that's where I got my love for fish, both eating them and keeping them. :rolleyes:

I knew a girl who was from an Indian Tribe here in Long Island NY. We have a few tribes out east.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got nothing to report so I will "again" put my flat tire story on. There are hardly any fish in the story. My fish are looking great, but bored. I am going to feed them now as the Janss pipefish are giving me the Evil Eye.
I posted this in 2014 but most of the people on this forum weren't born yet. Maybe Floyd :p
If you want to know something about my fish let me know. If I don't know the answer I will make something up.

So this morning I figured I would fix the GFCI DIY leak detector while the cleaning girl is here. I "carefully" crawled partially under the tank and installed a new Home made leak detector and pump shut off. That only takes 10 minutes as it is made out of a film container and a couple of stainless steel screws. (Film is like Scotch Tape but pictures stick to it) So that is working and I had to hurry up because I had a funeral to go to upstate about an hour away. So I go to the funeral and it was a short ceremony at the gravesite, I say my good bye's and head home. It was a beautiful day so I had my windows open and Frankie Valley of the Four Seasons was entertaining me on the radio. A car passes me and I hear that he is getting a flat tire. You know that thump, thump of the tire going flat. I am thinking to myself, poor guy, lousy place to get a flat because we are just about on the Whitestone Bridge between Queens and the Bronx. The guy pulls ahead, and I still hear the thump, thump and my car starts to swerve. Oh Great. It's me. And all my tires are fairly new, like a year old. I pull off onto the swampy weeds and put on my emergency blinkers. I was a mechanic way before I was an electrician so I have changed plenty of tires. But I am always prepared for emergencies and I have a can of that flat fix stuff that I bought about 20 years ago and never used. I keep it for my wife. I screw it on to the tire and figure I will be back on the road in 5 minutes. I push the button and this sticky white gunk squirts out all over the place. Every where but in the tire. The tube on the thing is broken and very little of the gunk is going in the tire which is flat as a Supermodels belly. This foamy stuff is all over the can and the rest of it is on me. Skanky stuff. I also found out another fact today. Wasps really like flat fixer stuff. I am already covered in weeds, cars are whizzing by 6" from me at 70 miles an hour and every wasp in the Bronx smells this tire stuff and is heading for me. But when they land on it, they stick to it. I think they liked it better where it was on me than the tire, I guess I smell better. I don't want to scrape this stuff off of me with my clean hand because it is nasty stuff and the dying wasps imbedded in with their stingers facing straight up didn't make it look any more appetizing. I also didn't want them to sting my clean hand. So I get some weeds and scrape it off on them. I look in my car and find a rag. I got it and try to clean my hands of wasps which keep flying over to investigate. Now that the flat fixer didn't work, I need to find the jack.
The jack was never used, as a matter of fact I don't remember ever using the jack that comes with the car because I have a large mechanic jack in my garage and for some reason, every time I had to remove the tire, I am near my garage. So I am thinking, this jack that came with the car is never going to work. Jacks never work that come with cars. So I stick it under the car and try to jack it up. The jack works very well and is very easy to use but I am in dirt and the jack is just squishing into the ground. I tromp through the weeds looking for a board to put under the jack and I must have found a dozen discarded tires so I don't feel to bad and I am not the only one that got a flat. I find a board and stick it under the jack and raise the car. I remove the tire and have to crawl under the car to get out the spare tire that is one of those silly donuts and is mounted under the car. That tire is worn bald so the guy who had the car before me must have had a lot of flats. But I put it on the car in the midst of all the wasps eyeing me for lunch and I lower the car.
All done. I get in the car turn up the radio,and wait for a clearing to get back on the highway.
I see an opening and I gun the engine. I am in dirt so the car squeels as it tries to get back on the road. I look in the mirror to see a car coming up on me very fast. I can't get the car up to speed and it is squeeling and swirving.
Wasps hitting the window and Frankie Valley yelling "Big Girls Don't Cry".
I just about manage to get the car off the road again, just as the oncoming car veers off into the next lane. I Think I have another flat. Great, I again put the emergency flashers on and try to put on the emergency brake. But to my surprise, it is already on. That is why I couldn't get the car back on the road. I left the emergency brake on, Stupid wasps. Like Duh. So I take off the emergency brake, wave good bye to the wasps, Fankie Valley is singing "My Eyes Adore you" and I get back on the road. I take the car to a Firestone dealer because I have Firestone tires and I have the guarantee for roadside hazards. So 3 hours later I got a free tire because of the guarantee that cost me $50.00. Their definition of free is a little different than my definition. But the good news is that the Firestone Dealer is right around the corner from my favorite LFS and I went in and got a new female mandarin because the other one jumped out. She was very pregnant and my male is a wimp so she was pregnant to long and became egg bound. If I could have caught her, I would have done a cesarean as I have performed a few times before and never lost a patient, I am just not sure if Obamacare covers the procedure.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are part Native American/Bronx/Brooklyn, Spanish, Vermontian/Coloradian person.
I was born in Bensonhurst Brooklyn right on the border of Coney Island. My parents were born in Manhattan. I was stationed in Colorado Springs (Fort Carson) for maybe 6 months.
My Grand Parents on both sides both came from a small fishing village in Sicily. Maybe that's where I got my love for fish, both eating them and keeping them. :rolleyes:

I knew a girl who was from an Indian Tribe here in Long Island NY. We have a few tribes out east.

I lived about 3 miles from Fort Carson on Lardner Ln. Moved out because of the Crypts & Bloods and drive-by shootings. Used to visit the commissary to buy cheap groceries and across Lake Champlain to a Plattsburgh to buy cartons of smokes. Can just imagine how much they cost nowadays. [emoji886]

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit smoking in Nam when they were free. But in a store they were 32 cents a pack. I had an apartment on Cofax in Denver. They didn't have Crypts and Bloods then

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's COOL :D

WE dug an underground fort when we were probably 15 in a dirt lot. It was probably 5' deep and had a wooden roof that had about a foot of dirt on it. WE grew older and forgot about it. Trees grew all over it.
Then one day they were building a Supermarket in that lot. A bulldozer was clearing the land and he backed up over our fort and the thing fell in backwards. Just the blade was sticking out. They had to get a crane to get the thing out.
Who knew the fort was still there? :rolleyes:

LOL! Ours was almost idendical from the sound of it.....maybe 8-10' in diameter...maybe it could have been considered more square....even had a fireplace in it!

Bulldozer got yours, fire department got ours....while I was out of town visiting relatives over the summer, they had a nice fireplace fire.....someone reported the smoke from our chimney. I'm not sure how it works, but my crew may have earned Jaboni status on that one. LOL

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we both got Jiboni status. We didn't have a fireplace that I remember but we had a staircase and when it rained, we got 3' of water in the thing.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the flat paul, but I enjoyed the post though it made me laugh sorry. I have been in similar situations and know the feeling. The best was when I stopped for lunch and a lady was at the same place sitting in the parking lot on the phone and I look over and saw her flat. I said I have a few mins. I will help. I stopped and talked to her she said the jack was under the car, but it would not work. So like you I figured it was just the car jack because they are junk. I grabbed my floor jack out the truck and went to jack it up. Well when I was jacking I was going to pull hers out but it went up with the car. I was kind of confused so I jacked it up all the way and tried to push, pull, kick, hit with a pipe, hammer couldn't get it. I opened up the passenger door the side with the jack and she drove the jack through the floor boards of her car. I tried everything to get it out and couldn't so I changed her tire for her and left her with a jack in her floor. Not sure what happened with it because I had to go back to work with an empty belly. People do strange things.

When you go collecting mud do you ever bring back any black mud/hydrogen sulfide mud?

I may have missed it but how did you build your ato if you don't mind me asking? I think I am going to make one with a/c pan float switches and a few relays. Just curious

Thanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back