OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was invited with my Daughter to tour this project they are trying to build under New York City right where the Williamsburg Bridge reaches Manhattan. I have been driving over that bridge all my life and never realized the ground under there is hollow. The space was built in 1903 as a turning around spot for the trolleys that went over the bridge. Now a subway line runs right past it but the trolley tracks are still there and the space which is about as large as a football field has not been used since 1948 so it is a little dusty. They are trying to put in a park sort of thing where trees and produce will be grown. Sunlight will be "piped" in from above using some type of new technology from Japan. There will be large sunlight collectors on the sidewalks above. A smaller prototype was built a few years ago and is growing produce. This will be a much larger experiment and if all goes well, it will serve as a model for many more places as New York City has many un-used subway tunnels as do other cities. Those areas are normally filthy, asbestos and steel dust ridden very dark rat infested locations so it will be a challenge.
The train tracks and trains that run right next to it will be partitioned off with glass so you can see (and hear) the trains go by.
The area may also be available to rent for parties. It will be very New Yorkish.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish love the sound of screeching subways. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had the purple anthias maybe a year.
Chas, too many rats.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you attribute its early demise to? Diet????
A year is still much longer than most people get with this fish so, good job man.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was invited with my Daughter to tour this project they are trying to build under New York City right where the Williamsburg Bridge reaches Manhattan. I have been driving over that bridge all my life and never realized the ground under there is hollow. The space was built in 1903 as a turning around spot for the trolleys that went over the bridge. Now a subway line runs right past it but the trolley tracks are still there and the space which is about as large as a football field has not been used since 1948 so it is a little dusty. They are trying to put in a park sort of thing where trees and produce will be grown. Sunlight will be "piped" in from above using some type of new technology from Japan. There will be large sunlight collectors on the sidewalks above. A smaller prototype was built a few years ago and is growing produce. This will be a much larger experiment and if all goes well, it will serve as a model for many more places as New York City has many un-used subway tunnels as do other cities. Those areas are normally filthy, asbestos and steel dust ridden very dark rat infested locations so it will be a challenge.
The train tracks and trains that run right next to it will be partitioned off with glass so you can see (and hear) the trains go by.
The area may also be available to rent for parties. It will be very New Yorkish.

Paul, I saw a special on the TV about a year ago showing this space, along with drawings and animations. They also showed a proof-of-concept with the collectors and fiber optic cable bringing in light. This new park is going be be called The Lowline.....with The Highline the converted elevated train line on the west side of Manhattan. I'm sure I can find a link.....be back in a couple minutes.

HERE's the link

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you attribute its early demise to? Diet????
A year is still much longer than most people get with this fish so, good job man.

There was no demise, I still have them.

Redfishbluefish, I know about the Lowline and Highline drives. My Daughter was there for the ribbon cutting ceremony and is involved in the projects. But thanks for the link.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photographer came to my house today to take pictures for the real estate sale. She took more pictures of my tank than the rest of the house even though the tank is not for sale.
Actually, I am leaving the tank and just taking everything in it to my new home. Very soon I should start building my new stand and hopefully I will build a rock structure that will hold my existing rocks off of my gravel. That is still in the designing stages.
I may build the new stand out of cedar because it doesn't rot or warp but it is less than half as strong as most woods so I will have to double it up to give me the strength I need.
I am sure I will lose a bunch of corals during the move, especially the montipora's because I will have to break all of them off the rocks to move them. If they make it, I will glue them to the newly positioned structure.
I still have to buy the new 125 gallon tank and under gravel filter.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photographer came to my house today to take pictures for the real estate sale. She took more pictures of my tank than the rest of the house even though the tank is not for sale.
Actually, I am leaving the tank and just taking everything in it to my new home. Very soon I should start building my new stand and hopefully I will build a rock structure that will hold my existing rocks off of my gravel. That is still in the designing stages.
I may build the new stand out of cedar because it doesn't rot or warp but it is less than half as strong as most woods so I will have to double it up to give me the strength I need.
I am sure I will lose a bunch of corals during the move, especially the montipora's because I will have to break all of them off the rocks to move them. If they make it, I will glue them to the newly positioned structure.
I still have to buy the new 125 gallon tank and under gravel filter.

Good luck with the move Paul, I used acrylic and fibreglass rods with my move to my new build which worked great for me. I am sure your montis will make it and you will have loads of frags if you have to break them but that might be no bad thing in truth. When moving there is no substitute for plan plan plan and I know you have some spare equipment just in case a pump etc or two dose not behave.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your new thread will be called Tank Birthday 1 + years.:)

Or maybe it will be called Noob build thread. :D

Actually I moved my present tank in about 1979. Everything including the water went back in to larger glass which hopefully will hapen again, but this time it will also have mostly NSW :p

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe it will be called Noob build thread. :D

Actually I moved my present tank in about 1979. Everything including the water went back in to larger glass which hopefully will hapen again, but this time it will also have mostly NSW :p
I think you should call it "The reverse flow under gravel filter Godzilla larvae tank"

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks TbyZ

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep 7 but I think they are all done reproductive wise.Chancing is hard work for sure catching almost impossible unless you tie their shoelaces together and even then they can hop fast than I can run. I have 5 grown up children myself inc 2 sets of twins but then we bought a TV and they stopped coming along. :confused:

Seems I was caught out, I do have 7 grandchildren but was informed 2 weeks ago number 8 is on the way due in April. My wallet has just had a seizure. I have put a request in for a boy as I only have one boy out of 7 ;Dummy1

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back