Tank birthday, 47+ years

U

User1

View Badges
Got to love the grand confusion of state vs. federal laws regardless of your views are on the product...picking and choosing what to enforce does not sit well and leads to bad things. In any case how is the new tank coming along Mr. B?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ExecutionLighthouse002.jpg

Classic.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is not Federally legal so you can't mail it or cross state lines. It has to be grown in the state, sold in the state and taken in the state.
We don't have that issue here. The criminal code is federal and is consistent from Province to Province. Provincial governments can't override or change it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished the stand and kind of ordered the UG filter but I am not sure yet. I am getting the tank not drilled. I lived this long with no sump so I will continue that. I just had to change 5 water cooled LEDs on my tank as the blue lights went out and while I was fixing it, I must have shorted the white LEDs out and had to change some of those. But I have a bunch of old ones around and I wanted to take the thing apart to clean off some corrosion anyway.

It's a pain in the neck testing 62 LEDs. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have that issue here. The criminal code is federal and is consistent from Province to Province. Provincial governments can't override or change it.

Yeah, but there are only like 12 people living in Canada. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy "happy" copperbands that were not quarantined have no trouble eating. I have had thousands, OK, dozens of them and they are no problem as long as they are happy. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving soon so I had to trim it. I have about a pound of the stuff. It is photosynthetic and I think may be the reason my water is so clear. It seems to love high nitrates as mine are off the chart. Must pick it up soon. I won't mail it, ship it, Parcel Post it or put it on my bicycle and drive it to your house. I have it in a little compartment in my reef and if it starts to croak I will need to throw it out. The stuff is like leather. I just clipped it now. Any reasonable FREE offer accepted.
I am on long Island NY

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving soon so I had to trim it. I have about a pound of the stuff. It is photosynthetic and I think may be the reason my water is so clear. It seems to love high nitrates as mine are off the chart. Must pick it up soon. I won't mail it, ship it, Parcel Post it or put it on my bicycle and drive it to your house. I have it in a little compartment in my reef and if it starts to croak I will need to throw it out. The stuff is like leather. I just clipped it now. Any reasonable FREE offer accepted.
I am on long Island NY

I love that stuff, grows like a plating Monti. I lost all of mine in a tank swap a few years ago and can't seem to find it anymore. I'd take a quick nip down to pick some up from you, but as you know, we only have dog sleds here in Canada; no cars. The dogs don't like it when they have to pull me over asphalt.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I had to go and get a shot in my knee. You need 3 of them so I have two more visits. I had this a few times before and I know it doesn't work. I just like to me a real man so I go for the pain. :rolleyes:
I went to the Dr's office for the shot and I felt bad because everyone in the office was sicker than me. I am not even sick, just worn out knees. If you work all your life and don't wear out your knees you probably had a Sissy job or didn't do it correctly. I think a lot of the people were there for eating too many of those little packets that come with electronics that say "Do Not Eat".

The Dr, has a very pretty, very young assistant, about my Grand Daughters age which disappointed me because now I can't scream and look like a Wuzz.
The Doc comes in and he is a friend of mine so we talk fish for a few minutes. Then he brings out the "Needle". I try not to look at it because it isn't an ordinary needle. He is injecting this gel in me that I think is a combination
Of Vaseline and Rowaphos with a little Prizapro to keep parasites off the injection site.

The two of them had to wheel the needle in on a dolly because this thing is so big, it has a crank a foot pedal and a ground probe on it. (I may be exaggerating just a little) I am not afraid of needles but this is more like a Javelin on steroids.
The assistant takes out this little tiny container which I thought was that stuff you use in cold climates to defrost a lock, either that, or lipstick, and she uses it to chill my knee. I said, "Is that it?" Don't you have like a fire extinguisher or a case of Novocain to use first? She just smiled and took something out of her eye. ;Cyclops

So he says "Little Pinch". I love it when they say that. Little Pinch. I said to him, Have you ever tried to stick this thing in your leg? He just smiled as I left.

So I limp to my car, close the windows so I could scream in private and I went home. My wife was there doing something at the sink. We have this insinkerator that you can put food scraps or fish in that died from Whopping cough so it goes down the drain. She turned the thing on and I hear, GGGGGGGggRRRrrras%%%%%%"GnnAAsshhhhhh, or something like that. Now water starts coming out the cabinet door under the sink.
I hobble over to it and look down in it with a flashlight and see the problem. The Goomiseguam that grinds the food up, ground itself up and made a hole in the side of the thing. Great. I sold the house and didn't want to replace this thing just now. Like it couldn't last a few more weeks!
So I go and order another one from Amazon because my knee won't allow me to go to Home Depot. It will arrive tomorrow. I am all excited because now I can jam myself under the sink and replace the thing.
It never ends. :mad:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there Paul, I too have a bad knee & back from busting butt in the past.
Please tell us more about your plans for the rebuild of your tank!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracker, my plans and what will actually happen may be far in between. I hope to get some time to build a "pillar" rock structure that will support my reef structure a few inches off the gravel. I need time for that and room. Right now I am building my track lights, which are coming out fantastic if I must say,and I do. :D
They are custom designed to put light in the kitchen where I want it because the lights are not movable once it's up. I can aim them, but not actually move them because they are built on a 1 1/4 X 1 1/4" square aluminum channel which I power sanded, primed and painted flat black. The thing is 14' long.
I also have my tank stand and the huge bed I built here along with dozens of boxes of dishes and junk I amassed by living here for 39 years. I haven't started on my tools yet but I already gave away my snow blower, chain saw,edger, wheelbarrow, rakes, shovels, snow shovels, sawzall, circular saw, impact drills and more.
I am having my boat trucked out there next week and I need to work on that to get it tied up and ready.
I need room to build that rock, then I need room, and time to soak it for a couple of weeks.
It all takes time and life gets in the way.
Like today. I turned on my sprinkler system for the first time this year and 3 heads were broken. Of course they didn't break at the surface, I had to dig down through the mud to find the pipe with the broken threads in it so i could tease out the broken piece to install a new one.
I also need to order the UG filter.
If it all goes well (I doubt it) I plan to put the tank on the stand in the new house and fill it with NSW. I will need to heat that and probably diatom filter it because I am taking it from the surf and it will have a lot of fine sand and floating stuff in it. After that, I plan on coming here with some help and taking everything out of the tank to transfer, then I will dump it in. That is the plan. But remember the new people want to move in on the same day I move out so that maybe tricky.
I can't get in the new house until I pay for it and I can't pay for it until I close and after I close, i don't own the house any more.

Last edited:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracker, my plans and what will actually happen may be far in between. I hope to get some time to build a "pillar" rock structure that will support my reef structure a few inches off the gravel. I need time for that and room. Right now I am building my track lights, which are coming out fantastic if I must say,and I do. :D
They are custom designed to put light in the kitchen where I want it because the lights are not movable once it's up. I can aim them, but not actually move them because they are built on a 1 1/4 X 1 1/4" square aluminum channel which I power sanded, primed and painted flat black. The thing is 14' long.
I also have my tank stand and the huge bed I built here along with dozens of boxes of dishes and junk I amassed by living here for 39 years. I haven't started on my tools yet but I already gave away my snow blower, chain saw,edger, wheelbarrow, rakes, shovels, snow shovels, sawzall, circular saw, impact drills and more.
I am having my boat trucked out there next week and I need to work on that to get it tied up and ready.
I need room to build that rock, then I need room, and time to soak it for a couple of weeks.
It all takes time and life gets in the way.
Like today. I turned on my sprinkler system for the first time this year and 3 heads were broken. Of course they didn't break at the surface, I had to dig down through the mud to find the pipe with the broken threads in it so i could tease out the broken piece to install a new one.
I also need to order the UG filter.
If it all goes well (I doubt it) I plan to put the tank on the stand in the new house and fill it with NSW. I will need to heat that and probably diatom filter it because I am taking it from the surf and it will have a lot of fine sand and floating stuff in it. After that, I plan on coming here with some heal and taking everything out of the tank to transfer, then I will dump it in. That is the plan. But remember the new people want to move in on the same day I move out so that maybe tricky.
I can't get in the new house until I pay for it and I can't pay for it until I close and after I close, i don't own the house any more.
Hmmm sounds like you need to rent a climate controlled storage area so you can move everything twice!
[emoji850]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back