OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, the day after Election Day I got up at 4:00 to watch the news and maybe see who won the election. At that time there was no clear winner so I waited an hour and a little after 5:00 am I decided to go for a walk in the dark.

I walked and walked, maybe a mile and a half and it was in a different direction of where I usually walk. I walked past the locked door that goes down the 176 steps to the beach.

I thought about going down to the beach just to chill out. (And it was chilly so it wouldn't be a hard thing to do) But I didn't bring the beach key with me.
I noticed that the door was propped open. I figured I would check it out and I was going to go through. Then I remembered you also need a key to get back out so if I was down there and someone closed the door, I would have to take a very long, cold walk along the beach to get out.

I looked at the lock and it was missing, just a hole in the door so there was no way to lock me in.

Before the steps go down there is about a 75 yard wooden walkway. I was a little tired from already walking but I was tense and wanted to relax so I started to walk to the beach.

Half way in on the wooden walk way I see something. There are tall bushes all along the sides of the walkway and it was still kind of dark so I couldn't make it out.

It moved....... I watch the show "Ancient Aliens" and I believe that stuff, so I figured I was about to be abducted and beamed up to an Alien space craft where they would do questionable experiments on me while they flashed pictures of Supermodels on the blackboard in front of me.
(Or maybe they just wanted to know how to install a reverse undergravel filter)

This thought kind of intrigued me so I was focusing my mind toward the object trying to do a sort of mind meld with the Aliens.

I slowly walked toward the object and it moved again....Now I don't consider myself a Snowflake but I also wasn't going to charge this thing because in case it wasn't an Alien it could be a Grisly Bear or woodchuck. I am not sure if there are any Grisly Bears on Long Island but in the Bronx Zoo I know there is a Polar bear and that is only less than 100 miles away so he could have gotten here.

By this time It was getting a little lighter and I noticed it was antlers. Big antlers like a Moose would have. OK, maybe not a moose but it was a deer.
A big buck with two of his main squeezes. I don't think he took kindly to me as he kept starring with a mean look in his eyes.

I tried not to look to amorously at the females as I didn't want him to think I was any competition and I prefer my Ladies to have two legs.

We stood and looked at each other for what seemed like an eternity, but it was probably 10 seconds and neither one of us flinched.
I was getting cold so I slapped my hand down on the wooden railing and yelled

( HEY YOU BIG DEER, GET OUT OF MY WAY)

I must have intimidated the to females and they ran away. The Buck just stood there defying me and giving me the evil eye.

I am a city boy and I have no idea how to fight a deer. Do I just grab his antlers or kick him in his shins?
I don't know.
Luckily for him (OK me) he decided to turn and walk toward his harem.

I made it down the beach and it was a beautiful sunrise.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys constantly lay eggs.
thumbnail.jpg

And this one just looks pretty.
Purple.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today on Veterans Day I went to the Military cemetery where my friend Tommy is buried to place a couple of American Flags on his grave and pay my respects. I was there a while as I broke down.
Tommy was one of my best friends for over fifty years.

Tommy's Grave.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today on Veterans Day I went to the Military cemetery where my friend Tommy is buried to place a couple of American Flags on his grave and pay my respects. I was there a while as I broke down.
Tommy was one of my best friends for over fifty years.

Tommy's Grave.jpg

Paul,
I feel you my brother. I didn’t have to go so far as a military cemetery to pay my respects. In my vegetable garden, I had spread ashes from two of my brothers. I also broke down, then as the sun came up and birds awoke, I celebrated the times we had together.
Patrick

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick, the cemetery my friend is in is about 10 minutes from my home so it wasn't a big journey. I know other people buried there also and I placed flags at their graves. One was Tommy's father N Law.
Near Christmas I am a volunteer to place wreaths on graves there.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul not many understand the times you faced in Vietnam and the troubling reception many received as they returned home. Thank you for doing what you did when your country called. May the good memories your friends and brothers outweigh the bad.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has MS and can't mover her right leg any more at all so I won't let her drive. I got her a new car with the condition that I can install hand controls.

I got the hand controls and tried them out on my car. It is basically two tubes, one goes to the gas and the other one to the brake. You hold this bar which holds these two tubes and push one way for the gas and the other way for the brake. Of course you steer with your left hand and never make a turn because there is no way to use the turn controls. :rolleyes:

I wasn't sure if I had to inform the motor vehicle office that she would be driving with hand controls so I went to the DMV.

Of course you can't go in due to Covid so I waited outside for the guy to come out. The security guard comes out and I ask him the question. Do I have to inform the DMV my wife will be using hand controls?

He disappears inside for a few minutes and comes out to tell me, he doesn't know and no one else in the DMV knows but he gives me this phone number for the State Dept of the DMV in Albany because they have to know.

I call the number and after 40 minutes on hold, they tell me, they don't know but I have to make an appointment with my local DMV (who don't know anything)

I tried to get an appointment and I fill out this thing on line with my E Mail, social security number, date of birth, astrological sign, favorite singer, blood type etc. and I write my question.

They send me back a reply that "they will answer my question in 5 days."

12 days later I try to go on my special DMV site with my sign in information for the answer. I get:

"Your E Mail address is incorrect so you can't sign in"
My E Mail is an AOL E mail and has been the same since AOL was invented but I can't sign in and I ask the question again.

"We will get back to you in 5 days"
I knew that was not going to happen so I went back to the DMV. The security guard again goes back inside and comes out to tell me, the DMV has nothing to do with that, go to the Town Hall.

I go to the Town Hall and ask the guy at the desk the question about the hand controls for my wife.

He has no Idea and says, The Town Hall has no control over that. "Go to the Police station and ask them".

I go to the Police Station and ask the officer at the information desk about hand controls.

"I have no Idea, go to the DMV"
I explained the entire thing to him and he said he has been a Cop for 20 years and no one ever asked that.

He then said, just put in the hand controls and don't tell anyone. :oops:

I said "Really", that sounds dangerous, there is no forms, no test, no schooling to drive with hand controls.
He said He didn't think so.

I then said, so if I wanted to I could steer with my feet, push the gas with my tongue and borrow a Yak from a deranged Sherpa and let him push the brake pedal with his hoof, That would be fine?

I may not have used those Exact words. But he said, yes that is correct so tomorrow I am installing those controls on my car to give my wife some lessons.
Wish me and all the pedestrians luck. o_O

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,
You are going into uncharted water. Once it’s done you could be the author of a new addendum to DMV manual.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Paul not many understand the times you faced in Vietnam and the troubling reception many received as they returned home. Thank you for doing what you did when your country called. May the good memories your friends and brothers outweigh the bad.

In is interesting that you noted "when your country called". A lot of times, most actually, we don't know why they called. As a volunteer you just march on and do as you are told giving 150%. We don't complain, we don't protest, we don't alert the alphabet news channels nor do we post on social media. We just do our thing.

What I find troubling is that as you noted above the reception many, actually all, received upon returning was vial and reminds me of present day. As the votes came in everyone rushes to call a divided America but why is it divided? Is it divided because we do not agree? Does this mean tomorrow and everyday thereafter that if I do not agree with the next elected group that I'm different/ That my votes and beliefs are wrong? Isn't that what we got called for to fight for and defend in the 40's? I remember a nation that focused on different people and in a not so friendly way...

I believe everyone at the age of 18 serves a mandatory 2 years in the military. 2 and done, 4 years ready reserve. You stay in longer then we start talking about free college, commissions, and retirements. Many are probably gasping and saying what the heck but here is the deal.

18 years old. Raised by a single parent. No sense of authority. Sign my name, get physical, talk to recruiter, pick branch, job list, etc. Get notified of boot camp. Fly from Cali to Texas (Air Force) and on a plane with 3 others who I know not from Bob your Uncle. Flight attendant and pilots sat with us, gave us some adult beverages, and we talk about what is next. Never met any of these people before in my life yet here we are drinking, laughing, and honestly trying to understand what we just did.

Land, board a buss with 30 or so people again who none of us know other than those we traveled with. More adult beverages, more talking, more laughing, buss driver stops and talks for a bit about what is next. We enter the base, exit buss, line up, and have a friendly TI do a roll call. Leads us to our dorm, bunks, points to bathroom, showers, and says we better get some sleep as we start early the next day.

Everyone looks at each other with that deer in the headlight look like what do we do. Some shower. Some go to sleep. Some talk. Next thing we know is that a metal trashcan is being banged on thrown around and yelling to dress, line up downstairs in 2 minutes or else. And so it starts.

Why does this matter? No one knew anyone. We are all different ages, race, and family back grounds. That is just the start. We then all go get our hair cut / head shaved. So we are all the same. We are taught from that minute on that the person next to us may save our life. They will give, they will take, they will do what is necessary to move that unit forward. Together. I'll iron, I'm better. You will clean the toilet because you are faster and know what they are looking for. You make the coffee because it is better, we all do this because it is heavy or needs more help, etc. What starts as a rag tag bunch of boys and girls at the age of 18 turns out to be a well oiled machine 12 weeks later and never once a display of racial anger or disparity AND worked together to get there.

I don't know really - just a thought. Can't hurt although I'm sure a lot of feelings would be hurt but I don't really care about those anymore. At the end of the day these are the things I'd expect journalists to report on but they don't. Just like they didn't report on the men and women coming from from Vietnam or the Korean wars. It was always nasty and here we are in 2020 whereas people like JF still has a platform to be mean and vindictive. And to sum this up Jimmy Kimmel or Colbert or the View isn't any different because they are still one sided and call names or spew hatred when you disagree.

Which gets me back to my thought about the 40's and what transpired and what people got called for. Seems like there is a little bit of history repeating itself.

Where have all the journalists gone...

Hey Paul - you are amazing.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saf1 I spent 36 years in the Royal Canadian Air Force. As I was reading your article, it brought back such strong memories and feelings.

I remember getting off the bus at O-dark-hundred with a cig hanging out of my mouth. A voice in the dark started screaming at me. I dropped the cig on the ground and stepped on it. The screaming got louder. OMG; what have I gotten myself into?

As you said, they melded us into a cohesive team. There was no me, just us!

It made me into the man I am today and I'm pretty happy with the result.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I remember my first day in basic training. I was a smart allek kid from the streets of New York and I was "cool". Not for long.

The day I got drafter the base in New Jersey, Fort Dix was full so I was among the first New Yorker to go to South Carolina. In 1969 New Yorkers or Yankees were not very welcome in the south.
They called me Alphabet because I have a long Italian sounding last name and most guys were Billy Bob, Bobby Joe, or just Bubba. :rolleyes:

The drill Sargent's didn't like me at all.
AS soon as we were thrown off the bus the drill Sargent's started yelling at us and smacking us around.
There were no Snowflake rules then and the Drill Sargent's could, and did hit, punch , kick and sometimes in rare instances kill recruits. (That was not allowed and was frowned on)

Anyway I must have thought it was funny so the DI pulled me out and yelled:

Hey Boy, What do you do in New York? Climb Walls?

I stupidly said, "No, Drill Sargent, in New York we have elevators".

Wrong answer, and in the next few minutes and days I changed my attitude and started to become a Man.

I had to run all night around the barracks and I was in no shape to run. But when someone is running beside you smacking you constantly and screaming in your face, you run. And run I did.

I ran until we had to fall out at 4:30 am. I didn't have any sleep. The next day, we ran. And ran, and ran. When we were finished running, we ran some more.
The last day of basic we ran 27 miles with boots and a full pack in the hot sun.

Every morning to get to breakfast we first had 3 minutes to get out of bed, make the bed, shave and do anything else you had to do in that time and fallout for inspection with spit shined boots.

Then there was a long pit filled with mud. Maybe 75 yards. We had to dive into that and low crawl to the other side while the DIs stepped on your head to get it down in the mud.

After that you went to the horizontal ladder, run through tires, did I have no idea how many push ups, stand at attention and wait to eat.
3 minutes and run back to the barracks to clean up to start your day of exercise and learning.

The only time we were allowed to walk was Sunday morning. All other times we had to run.

At the end of the 8 weeks I was a bundle of muscle, no fat and no wise guy attitude.
The DI also friended me and let me drive a truck a few times to get away from the "training" for a few hours.

If you didn't like to do these things, after the Sargent's beat you severely, you went to jail. Jail time doesn't count as your army time so when you get out, you start allover again. And while in Jail they made you do things you don't want to do.

There were no Snowflakes after that. We didn't protest, break windows or wise off. We ended up good people and good citizens.
I became a Sargent after 16 weeks in the Army which is almost impossible. It must have been my good looks and winning personality :rolleyes: I came out of basic a Corporal. I skipped 3 ranks and went to Nam as a Sargent. :D

When my 2 years were up I left the mud on the Cambodian border and was sent home, still dirty.
They left me in New Jersey in the middle of the night without a penny to my name (we didn't use US money in Nam.)

If someone didn't pick me up, I would have had to hitch hike.
But I made it, I am happy and a much better person for it. I don't have to complain or protest as the rest of my life is going to be easy. :p
PS, I made that 30 round magazine on my M-16. The normal magazine only holds 18 rounds.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I remember my first day in basic training. I was a smart allek kid from the streets of New York and I was "cool". Not for long.

The day I got drafter the base in New Jersey, Fort Dix was full so I was among the first New Yorker to go to South Carolina. In 1969 New Yorkers or Yankees were not very welcome in the south.
They called me Alphabet because I have a long Italian sounding last name and most guys were Billy Bob, Bobby Joe, or just Bubba. :rolleyes:

The drill Sargent's didn't like me at all.
AS soon as we were thrown off the bus the drill Sargent's started yelling at us and smacking us around.
There were no Snowflake rules then and the Drill Sargent's could, and did hit, punch , kick and sometimes in rare instances kill recruits. (That was not allowed and was frowned on)

Anyway I must have thought it was funny so the DI pulled me out and yelled:

Hey Boy, What do you do in New York? Climb Walls?

I stupidly said, "No, Drill Sargent, in New York we have elevators".

Wrong answer, and in the next few minutes and days I changed my attitude and started to become a Man.

I had to run all night around the barracks and I was in no shape to run. But when someone is running beside you smacking you constantly and screaming in your face, you run. And run I did.

I ran until we had to fall out at 4:30 am. I didn't have any sleep. The next day, we ran. And ran, and ran. When we were finished running, we ran some more.
The last day of basic we ran 27 miles with boots and a full pack in the hot sun.

Every morning to get to breakfast we first had 3 minutes to get out of bed, make the bed, shave and do anything else you had to do in that time and fallout for inspection with spit shined boots.

Then there was a long pit filled with mud. Maybe 75 yards. We had to dive into that and low crawl to the other side while the DIs stepped on your head to get it down in the mud.

After that you went to the horizontal ladder, run through tires, did I have no idea how many push ups, stand at attention and wait to eat.
3 minutes and run back to the barracks to clean up to start your day of exercise and learning.

The only time we were allowed to walk was Sunday morning. All other times we had to run.

At the end of the 8 weeks I was a bundle of muscle, no fat and no wise guy attitude.
The DI also friended me and let me drive a truck a few times to get away from the "training" for a few hours.

If you didn't like to do these things, after the Sargent's beat you severely, you went to jail. Jail time doesn't count as your army time so when you get out, you start allover again. And while in Jail they made you do things you don't want to do.

There were no Snowflakes after that. We didn't protest, break windows or wise off. We ended up good people and good citizens.
I became a Sargent after 16 weeks in the Army which is almost impossible. It must have been my good looks and winning personality :rolleyes: I came out of basic a Corporal. I skipped 3 ranks and went to Nam as a Sargent. :D

When my 2 years were up I left the mud on the Cambodian border and was sent home, still dirty.
They left me in New Jersey in the middle of the night without a penny to my name (we didn't use US money in Nam.)

If someone didn't pick me up, I would have had to hitch hike.
But I made it, I am happy and a much better person for it. I don't have to complain or protest as the rest of my life is going to be easy. :p
PS, I made that 30 round magazine on my M-16. The normal magazine only holds 18 rounds.

Paul,
You airborne Calvary were the real deal. You should post the link of the write up of the battle in the Highlands. It got my attention.

I did four 90 day tours in Cambodia. Because I was the only aircraft mechanic for a squadron of C47, Puff the Magic Dragon, I had two 82 Airbone Rangers as personnel body guards. My 4 years saw me make E4 four times. My squadron commander said I had issues with authority. I still have issues with authority and I have no problem speaking Truth to Power. I sometimes forget that discretion is the better part of valor. Remember I was busted in pay grade three times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You airborne Calvary were the real deal. You should post the link of the write up of the battle in the Highlands. It got my attention.

I posted the link to this battle a few times. It was the worst day of my life but thank God for PTSD as I remember very little of that night.

There is a book about it. I read it and I am not in it. I was the COMMO Chief for the 1/77arty.
The FDC (fire direction control) that is mentioned and was hit and collapsed had my men in it.

The guy who wrote the book Keith Phillips was here with me while I was giving a talk about the battle.

Here are some pictures of that place after the battle. I think the bunker in the top left picture was mine. But I can't be sure, it was fifty years ago and they all kind of looked the same.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had some room in my tank just in case I see a fish I want, but it is to crowded now and they are all to fat. I think I need to put them on Jenny Craig. :oops:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend from the Keys brought me some mangroves which I threw in my tank because it is getting cold outside here and he needed a place to store them until he brings them back to the Keys.
They were also full of tiny snails which will probably crash my tank so it is a good thing I don't worry about such things.

These were thrown up in his yard after a storm
thumbnail.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back