OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these guys are spawning. I haven't seen eggs but she seems pregnant to me.

thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected 40 gallons of water just now. Because I take it from the surf, it is filthy. Filled with chopped up seaweed and you can hardly see through it so I am diatom filtering it and warming it up. It is 55 degrees.
thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I wanted to buy a new pair of sneakers so I called "New Balance" which has an outlet near here.
They make some of their shoes in America and I will only buy American shoes.

They also have a 40% off sale. So I call them to make sure they have the US shoes, They do not, and I have to go there and order them. My wife and I go there and the place is huge. I can't believe they don't have a pair of size 10 sneakers made in the US.

She looks in her catalog and shows me what they have. They have a pair of red ones and brown ones.
I am not the type of person who would wear red shoes and the only person I know of who wears red shoes is the Pope and even he doesn't like them because he is to cool for them.

Forget brown sneakers. That shouldn't even be a real color and in the rare instances where I see a brown car, I think.
Really!!!!. You had a choice of any color you wanted and you picked brown?

Anyway, as the two sales girls were searching all over the country for a shoe that wasn't a color of the rainbow I walked around and on a display rack I see a pair of grey and white, mens sneakers, size 10, made in the US.

I said, What about these. She looks up and says: Oh yeah, there are those.
Like Duh, these are what I was asking for.

Is it me? You have one job, selling shoes and you don't even know what you have on the rack that you probably just put there.
Of course the ones I got are the only shoes in the entire store that are not on sale. Of course not, why would they be?

So I wore them home and also got my wife a pair. :p

When I was a kid the only sneakers were US Keds. They were $1.75. Now they are $179.00 :rolleyes:

My first car only cost me $75.00 :oops:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I changed more water than I ever changed in my life. I thought I collected 40 gallons from the surf yesterday but it was actually 50 gallons.
I heated it up real fast, after I diatom filtered all the chopped up seaweed in it.
My tank is 125 gallons but it has a lot of rock and probably only had 90 gallons of water in it.
The fish always enjoy this and are still smiling.
I was surprised, I tester the alk in the water and it was like 9. It's usually about 5.
The temp was 55 and the salinity was only a little low. I didn't test anything else.

jacka342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today on Veterans Day I went to the Military cemetery where my friend Tommy is buried to place a couple of American Flags on his grave and pay my respects. I was there a while as I broke down.
Tommy was one of my best friends for over fifty years.

Tommy's Grave.jpg
I know this is a little late, but your friend is a hero! My great grandfather served in WW2 in the navy. I recently bought my first puppy and decided to name him after my grandpa. The other day I took little Avis to meet his namesake at the cemetery. It was very emotional and I feel for your loss.
Wishing the best, Jack

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend Sue, (Tommy's wife) were planning on going to the Military cemetery to place wreaths on the graves of Veterans on Dec 19th. We had reservations to go with a bunch of other people and Veteran organizations.

We got a call yesterday that it is cancelled because of Covid unless you are in a Veteran organization.

Like Really!!!! I am a freekin Vet and I can't go to the cemetery to honor the hero's there!!

It's outside in a cemetery that is literally miles across and no chance of getting Covid or anything else.
I can go to a supermarket, restaurant, post office etc. but the cemetery is closed?

I don't get it. Sue and myself are going anyway with our own wreaths as a Veteran they can't keep me out no matter what disease they are worried about. I don't care if they have Bubonic Plague there, I am going.

Actually Trump said that is ridiculous and is letting anyone who wants to go, go. But the people in charge of the event never heard that. But I did. :cool:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend Sue, (Tommy's wife) were planning on going to the Military cemetery to place wreaths on the graves of Veterans on Dec 19th. We had reservations to go with a bunch of other people and Veteran organizations.

We got a call yesterday that it is cancelled because of Covid unless you are in a Veteran organization.

Like Really!!!! I am a freekin Vet and I can't go to the cemetery to honor the hero's there!!

It's outside in a cemetery that is literally miles across and no chance of getting Covid or anything else.
I can go to a supermarket, restaurant, post office etc. but the cemetery is closed?

I don't get it. Sue and myself are going anyway with our own wreaths as a Veteran they can't keep me out no matter what disease they are worried about. I don't care if they have Bubonic Plague there, I am going.

Actually Trump said that is ridiculous and is letting anyone who wants to go, go. But the people in charge of the event never heard that. But I did. :cool:

Paul,
Who better to speak Truth to Power.

I was very disappointed with lack of public remembrance of veterans on this past Memorial Day. Who ever makes the policy at these facilities should “gird up loins” and “bow up”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy tripled in size in 2 years. If it keeps growing I may have to break it in half because it is hard to clean the glass now.
thumbnail.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PokeFish, I have never sold anything from my tank. I give them away. But I like this one so I will just find a place for it. :cool:
I just too this.

007.JPG

Paul,
I will be up your way this summer to collect pods & clams.

A note of interest about feeding live bivalves with parasites that their immune system can fight off to a tank with ornamental clams. Particularly parasites in Chesapeake Bay. I lost a clam after I started feeding mussels, but ornamental clam had not been in tank very long. I don’t get ornamental clams anymore, I prefer Sea Apples, and I feed 4 mussels every day to two display tanks.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you coming near Long Island New York?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Grand Daughter Greta is sick and now she is getting tested for Covid. I am not sure how long we will have to wait for results.
She also has a life threatening throat disease called EOE so we are very worried about her. She also can't take antibiotics.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best wishes for Greta! Hope everything turns out well Paul.
My Grand Daughter Greta is sick and now she is getting tested for Covid. I am not sure how long we will have to wait for results.
She also has a life threatening throat disease called EOE so we are very worried about her. She also can't take antibiotics.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you coming near Long Island New York?

I have family at Patchogue and also in the Hamptons.
I came up your way three years ago and went claming in LI Sound. It was fun but the horse flys were horrendous near the marsh grass flats. We also went fishing off Montauk Point. Is your new home near the state park?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montauk is on the south fork, I am on the north fork on the Sound. I am an hour from that state park.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montauk is on the south fork, I am on the north fork on the Sound. I am an hour from that state park.

I was there in August. We left from a marina located I think in the N. Hamptons, then boated out past the Point into the Atlantic. As we traveled up the Sound, there were 200’ three masted schooners and many other examples of the “rich & famous”. Montauk Point is celebrated as the location with the most variety of trophy fish world records. At my age not to interested in world records as collecting pods & grass shrimp. Clams are nice also.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not to far from Patchogue. Maybe 20 minutes. My family used to have a summer home there in another life.
I am also 20 minutes from Hampton Bays.
Those horse flies are mostly on the South Shore. We don't get them here on the North Fork as they can't afford the taxes. :p

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back