OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going out for breakfast in a little while but it is raining so hard and even though I have a Jeep, I am not sure if it can float. :oops:
Noah came by to borrow a cup of ASW. :rolleyes:

Nothing new, all is well. My tank is fine, nothing to report. Just waiting for my wife to get up as it is very late for us to get out. Normally I would be back from walking an hour and a half ago. I didn't do that today because I don't feel like swimming.

Today I am calling a driving school because I got my wife hand driving controls for her new car, which didn't arrive yet but when it does, I want her to be able to drive it. Due to her MS she can't really use her right foot.

The schools should teach her how to use the hand controls, but I worry that she won't be able to get her walker out of the back by herself. I have to figure out something for that.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I think it is sneaking some linguine and clams because the thing is huge. It's like 18" or whatever the measurement is called in the UK. :p
Depends on your age and if you are a EU loving woke. Us Gezzas are still in feet and inches.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hospital here is giving out free Copperband Butterflies with every Covid test so my wife and I are going this morning. :p

Yesterday our handicapped elevator croaked so I will see how I will get her down the flight of stairs to the street. :confused:

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Paul
So sorry to hear about the elevator, hmmmmm.......maybe you should wait on those free CBB"S and the COVID test.
Just saying .... :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got back from a Free Covid test. It was a scam. We had an appointment at a hospital and the line was an hour and a half long. It's 34 degrees here and windy now so we are not going to stand on line outside for 90 minutes to stick a Q Tip up our nose. :oops:

Like what if they get two or three people to stick a Q tip up your nose or do you have to go to some kind of school for that.
Maybe get a degree in SASUYN. (stick a stick up your nose)

My wife now walks with a walker and can't stand that long.

What was the purpose of the appointment? Total waste of time. We may drive by later but I think it is a waste of time.
And to top it all off. No free Copperband Butterflies.

It must have been organized by Jibonies. I can see how organized the vaccine will be if it ever comes out. Maybe in 5 years we will get it. ;Bucktooth

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had people over last night and they asked me how we got our drinking water in Viet Nam.
I wen through my pictures and found a picture. It came in those rubber "blivits".

It was filed in a lake or river and iodine was added to kill "things". I would imagine it also killed ich. :p

It was very hot and those things were rubber so the water tasted like hot, iodine infused rubber. Delicious :p

Blivit.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do some pictures come out big and some small?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pioneers of the aquarium hobby that we don't hear about

Aquarium keeping goes back to the ancient Egyptians. They had problems because the water from the Nile wasn't nearly salty enough and was full of left over rocks from carving out pyramids. Those rocks were carved with copper chisels and their was tiny pieces of copper left in the rock causing all sorts of water quality problems.

They also had issues because whenever a fish died, they would try to mummify the poor creature but the mummification process took many weeks and in a few hours the dead fish would stink attracting those hairless cats that they kept as pets.

As time went by there were many people involved in fish keeping so we can call them pioneers. One that comes to mind was Copernicus. In the 1400s he proposed that the Earth revolved around the sun, not the other way around. That in itself had nothing to do with fish, but while he was coming up with this unconventional theory he made a lot of people angry.

Especially people of the clergy who showed their dissatisfaction by throwing clams at his house. Some of the clams broke his Anderson windows and landed in his sumpless reef tank. To his astonishment, his fish started eating the clams and that is how we came to know how to keep Copperband Butterflies.

A similar Pioneer was Galileo. As everyone knows Galileo is famous for inventing the telescope but what many don't know is he also invented the refractometer. Galileo went to the university in Piza. His laboratory was in the Leaning Tower of Piza which made fish keeping "Interesting".
His AtO kept making his tank overflow but that has nothing to do with how he invented the refractometer.

Galileo was never a happy kid and was always fuming at his Mother because she gave him a first name that sounded just like his last name. Galileo Galilei. Everyone made fun of him and one day as he was looking through his telescope someone stormed in and yelled "Hey Galileo, Galilei, Galaxy, Gibralta whatever your name is, your Mother is calling you"?

He got so mad he threw his telescope into his reef tank. His Mother heard the commotion and came in just in time to take the instrument out of the water and she looked through it backwards and said. Hey Galley (thats what she called him for short) your salinity looks a little low!
Way before this in the year 79 we had Pliny the Elder. Pliny actually gave us the internet along with Wikipedia.

In the year 79 AD that was a big deal because we didn't even have USB plugs so he had to use solar electric to charge his wooden slide rule. We have Voltaire to thank for USB plugs along with "stray voltage". He never liked to use his full name "Nom De Plume Voltaire" because it sounded like a Sissy Girly Man name but as we all know he discovered voltage which is named after him.

220px-Nicolas_de_Largillière,_François-Marie_Arouet_dit_Voltaire_adjusted.png

Of course we can't have stray voltage without amps. Amps were discovered by Ampere or André-Marie Ampère. He never gained much notoriety because stray voltage doesn't really have any amps to speak of and we never say "our fish died because of stray amps". It's always volts.

We also can't have Volts or Amps without the other guy, Ohms. None of us know who Ohm is named for but it was actually Georg Ohm. No, Really!. Thats the guys name. I think he also had something do do with GFCI's and was a distant cousin of Susan Sarandon, who had something to do with Saran Wrap.

Unfortunately Ohm was sometimes confused with Olds. Ransom E. Olds was an auto pioneer and we have to thank him for inventing storage places where white flour, ASW and two part calcium additives can be stored along with Oldsmobile parts.
Last but not least we have the Wright Brothers. They owned a bicycle shop which was very profitable but they got bored so they invented an aeroplane. You may not know what they have to do with reef tanks and the truth is, not much.

But during their first historic flight, Orville wanted to see what happened if he taped a pink tipped anemone to the left wing of their aircraft. He carefully removed the animal from his thermos bottle, dried it off and applied Gorilla tape.
Orville steadied the wings as the motor of the historic craft roared into action. He let go and Wilbur flew an astonishing 120 feet.

As soon as the craft landed, Orville, who was running alongside came up to the wing to see how the anemone fared. (he didn't care much about the plane or his brother) But to his horror, when Wilbur landed he immediately stepped on the brake propelling the anemone into and through the propeller causing the creature to turn into a very wet snot that engulfed poor Wilbur which in turn gave him the inspiration to invent that little handle on your steering wheel that sprays water onto your windshield to clean away squashed bugs.

Firstflight_web.jpg

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquarium keeping goes back to the ancient Egyptians. They had problems because the water from the Nile wasn't nearly salty enough and was full of left over rocks from carving out pyramids. Those rocks were carved with copper chisels and their was tiny pieces of copper left in the rock causing all sorts of water quality problems. They also had issues because whenever a fish died, they would try to mummify the poor creature but the mummification process took many weeks and in a few hours the dead fish would stink attracting those hairless cats that they kept as pets.
As time went by there were many people involved in fish keeping so we can call them pioneers. One that comes to mind was Copernicus. In the 1400s he proposed that the Earth revolved around the sun, not the other way around. That in itself had nothing to do with fish, but while he was coming up with this unconventional theory he made a lot of people angry.
Especially people of the clergy who showed their dissatisfaction by throwing clams at his house. Some of the clams broke his Anderson windows and landed in his sumpless reef tank. To his astonishment, his fish started eating the clams and that is how we came to know how to keep Copperband Butterflies.
A similar Pioneer was Galileo. As everyone knows Galileo is famous for inventing the telescope but what many don't know is he also invented the refractometer. Galileo went to the university in Piza. His laboratory was in the Leaning Tower of Piza which made fish keeping "Interesting". His AtO kept making his tank overflow but that has nothing to do with how he invented the refractometer.
Galileo was never a happy kid and was always fuming at his Mother because she gave him a first name that sounded just like his last name. Galileo Galilei. Everyone made fun of him and one day as he was looking through his telescope someone stormed in and yelled "Hey Galileo, Galilei, Galaxy, Gibralta whatever your name is, your Mother is calling you"?
He got so mad he threw his telescope into his reef tank. His Mother heard the commotion and came in just in time to take the instrument out of the water and she looked through it backwards and said. Hey Galley (thats what she called him for short) your salinity looks a little low!
Way before this in the year 79 we had Pliny the Elder. Pliny actually gave us the internet along with Wikipedia. In the year 79 AD that was a big deal because we didn't even have USB plugs so he had to use solar electric to charge his wooden slide rule. We have Voltaire to thank for USB plugs along with "stray voltage". He never liked to use his full name "Nom De Plume Voltaire" because it sounded like a Sissy Girly Man name but as we all know he discovered voltage which is named after him.

Of course we can't have stray voltage without amps. Amps were discovered by Ampere or André-Marie Ampère. He never gained much notoriety because stray voltage doesn't really have any amps to speak of and we never say "our fish died because of stray amps". It's always volts.
We also can't have Volts or Amps without the other guy, Ohms. None of us know who Ohm is named for but it was actually Georg Ohm. No, Really!. Thats the guys name. I think he also had something do do with GFCI's and was a distant cousin of Susan Sarandon, who had something to do with Saran Wrap.
Unfortunately Ohm was sometimes confused with Olds. Ransom E. Olds was an auto pioneer and we have to thank him for inventing storage places where white flour, ASW and two part calcium additives can be stored along with Oldsmobile parts.
Last but not least we have the Wright Brothers. They owned a bicycle shop which was very profitable but they got bored so they invented an aeroplane. You may not know what they have to do with reef tanks and the truth is, not much.
But during their first historic flight, Orville wanted to see what happened if he taped a pink tipped anemone to the left wing of their aircraft. He carefully removed the animal from his thermos bottle, dried it off and applied Gorilla tape.
Orville steadied the wings as the motor of the historic craft roared into action. He let go and Wilbur flew an astonishing 120 feet.
As soon as the craft landed, Orville, who was running alongside came up to the wing to see how the anemone fared. (he didn't care much about the plane or his brother) But to his horror, when Wilbur landed he immediately stepped on the brake propelling the anemone into and through the propeller causing the creature to turn into a very wet snot that engulfed poor Wilbur which in turn gave him the inspiration to invent that little handle on your steering wheel that sprays water onto your windshield to clean away squashed bugs.

Firstflight_web.jpg
You attended a public school in NY didn't you lol ;Facepalm Great history lesson and so accurate according to CNN, ABC, CBS, NPR, and MSNBC. They have all fact checked this and claim it "most likely accurate"! Thanks for the laughs sir...you rock as the not so youngsters say!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was accurate. :p
There were a lot more pioneers but that is for another thread.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquarium keeping goes back to the ancient Egyptians. They had problems because the water from the Nile wasn't nearly salty enough and was full of left over rocks from carving out pyramids. Those rocks were carved with copper chisels and their was tiny pieces of copper left in the rock causing all sorts of water quality problems. They also had issues because whenever a fish died, they would try to mummify the poor creature but the mummification process took many weeks and in a few hours the dead fish would stink attracting those hairless cats that they kept as pets.
A similar Pioneer was Galileo. As everyone knows Galileo is famous for inventing the telescope but what many don't know is he also invented the refractometer. Galileo went to the university in Piza. His laboratory was in the Leaning Tower of Piza which made fish keeping "Interesting". His AtO kept making his tank overflow but that has nothing to do with how he invented the refractometer.
Way before this in the year 79 we had Pliny the Elder. Pliny actually gave us the internet along with Wikipedia. In the year 79 AD that was a big deal because we didn't even have USB plugs so he had to use solar electric to charge his wooden slide rule. We have Voltaire to thank for USB plugs along with "stray voltage". He never liked to use his full name "Nom De Plume Voltaire" because it sounded like a Sissy Girly Man name but as we all know he discovered voltage which is named after him.

Firstflight_web.jpg
can you sticky a thread? if you can this one deserves it
i fact checked it it's all true :)

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Firstflight_web.jpg
Is this your application to the Onion or to the Babylon Bee?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you sticky a thread? if you can this one deserves it
i fact checked it it's all true :)
Of course it's true. I researched it in the same places I researched for my book. :rolleyes:
Is this your application to the Onion or to the Babylon Bee?
The Babylon Bee looks good to me. Very informative.
Or it could be a dirivitave of the city of Babalonia in 1894 BC which was before I was born.
That was in Iraq but where I live on Long Island we have a town called Babylon.
I am not sure if any of the people living in Long Island can trace any of their fish heritage to the ancient city of Babalonia. But it would be an interesting thing to research. :p

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ! An old-school setup with an UG filter ! I pulled out my UG filter in my first setup back in 1992..... Because the detritus was always building up beneath it. Congratulations on your long success, may you continue to be as successful !

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be going on my morning walk today as it is still snowing but no where near the foot we were supposed to get.
Now it is just a slushy mix of slop and the 6" we did get is just a mess. It is supposed to get cold and freeze again so it will just be beautiful.
This is a condo so they shoveled my stairs and deck at about 4:30am but they will have to do it through out the day.
I miss the days when I had a snow plowing business, and the energy to do it. :cool:

This is me with my favorite Christmas/Birthday present. I can't remember when this was taken so it was probably in another time zone. :oops:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind, I probably can't put that here. :cool:
(no, it was nothing bad)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back