Tank birthday, 47+ years

U

User1

View Badges
Never mind, I probably can't put that here. :cool:
(no, it was nothing bad)

Oh, you can. It just may get censored ;)

Hope you and yours are doing well. My better and wiser half received her c19 vaccine yesterday (PICU nurse).

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a video of friend of mine who owns the best restaurant in New York City, rated #1 in Zagat. But it comes on a page of the Post with all sorts of other things on there. I didn't read it all but I am sure there is something on there that I can't put here.
He doesn't like the Mayors closing all city restaurants due to the virus so he took a table and set it up outside on the sidewalk in the snow and had dinner with his staff.

I will PM it to you

U

User1

View Badges
It is a video of friend of mine who owns the best restaurant in New York City, rated #1 in Zagat. But it comes on a page of the Post with all sorts of other things on there. I didn't read it all but I am sure there is something on there that I can't put here.
He doesn't like the Mayors closing all city restaurants due to the virus so he took a table and set it up outside on the sidewalk in the snow and had dinner with his staff.

I will PM it to you

It was a good article actually. Thanks for sharing it.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I will PM it to you
My oldest daughter works in the restaurant industry in Brooklyn. It's been a pretty rough time for her with all the uncertainty this year. By the time things get back to "normal ", alot of the places are going to be out of business. Sad times.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test picture
thumbnail.jpg
I think you can click and drag a corner of a picture after it uploads in order to resize it. This is one of the nice additional perks of R2R hosting our images rather than requiring us to post to an image hosting site and cross-link the image here to share.

...and since I have not commented on this thread yet, I will add that I love the natural, full look of your reef! I only hope that some day 47+ years from now, I can have a reef that is 47+ years old!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be going on my morning walk today as it is still snowing but no where near the foot we were supposed to get.
Now it is just a slushy mix of slop and the 6" we did get is just a mess. It is supposed to get cold and freeze again so it will just be beautiful.
This is a condo so they shoveled my stairs and deck at about 4:30am but they will have to do it through out the day.
I miss the days when I had a snow plowing business, and the energy to do it. :cool:

This is me with my favorite Christmas/Birthday present. I can't remember when this was taken so it was probably in another time zone. :oops:

Merry Christmas to you both Paul!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Merry Christmas Paul to you and your supermodel! Maybe someday I'll make it to long Island to see that reef of yours in person!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doctorgori, that picture was probably 10 or 20 years ago. :p

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us get cool stuff for Christmas and our birthdays but I am lucky as my birthday is actually on Christmas day.

Years ago I used to get a lot of presents because of that, but in those days everyone used to get more presents than now and that happens as we get older. We already have everything that we need so we get things like gift certificates for restaurants, Home depot, Rogain, liposuction etc.

One big problem I, and I assume many older people have is we get a lot of electronics for gifts. Electronics don't work for old people and I honestly feel that feature is built into the device.

For instance this year I received from my wife a pedometer. I have been walking every day and I don't know if I am walking a mile or 20 miles so she got me this thing.

It is tiny and you wear it on your wrist. The "instructions" came on a piece of paper the size of those strips they put in fortune cookies and it is written in 5 languages none of which is English.

I just want the thing to tell me how many miles I walked and maybe the time, but that is an option I don't really need as I am retired and I don't care what time it is. I also don't need it to tell me what day it is because I am retired and every day is the same.

The device only has two buttons in it. One is marked "R" and one is marked "M".

I fooled around with it for most of Christmas day and it seems the "R" turns on a small light so you can read it after you fall in a storm drain because it is so tiny and you have to stare at it for a while and don't pay attention to where you are walking.

I think the "M" tells you how much weight Marie Osmond lost on Jenny Craig.
Fit Bit.jpg

I am not yet sure how you can get it to tell you anything else but on the box it has all sorts of functions like your latitude, temperature, Blood pressure, footsteps, battery life, age of some rock singers, recipies etc.

So I wore it on my morning walk and all I can get it to do is tell me what time it is, in military time, but it is five and a half hours off. (I haven't yet used the function about Marie Osmond's weight) I was in the military and even then the time confused me so the thing is a great conversation piece and it will be relegated to my electronics drawer where I keep all my electronic gifts from years past because I have no idea how to use them.

Another gift that will go into that drawer is a lens set for my cell phone so I can take better pictures. There wasn't even a fortune cookie piece of paper to explain how to use these things but I figured out most of them through trial and error. The only part of it I can't figure out is the little remote push button that is supposed to tell the camera on your phone to take the picture. It says on it that it has a blue tooth. I swear I looked very hard and can't even find it's mouth so that will never work.
Lens.jpg

Also, what is this obsession with passwords? Why do I need a password for everything? I am running out of passwords and had to start using Greek Characters. Why do I care if someone steals my password for my electric bill? If you want to pay it for me, go ahead. Or my cell phone. If someone steals my phone and they don’t have my password, how would they call me to tell me where it is. I don’t keep any banking information on my phone because I don’t know how to.

Speaking of cell phones, I have an I Phone 4. I think they are now up to 42 or so. My wife keeps telling me I need to get with the times and get a new phone. But I think mine is much better than hers. . When she wants to make a call or ask the thing something, I hear:

Siri, call,,,,,,Siri,,,,Si,,,,Siri cal,,,,"Who do you want to call?"

Siri, Call Bob,,,,,,,,,,"Who do you want to call?" Siri, call Bobby Str......

"To make a call, you can say things like Siry, call so and so" .
And it goes on like that.

Also her phone sometimes talks to her when she is not even asking it anything. Once we were in Church for a funeral mass. It was dead quiet as it is for most funeral masses. The priest was in a part of the ceremony that called for total quiet and no one was making a sound.

All of a sudden, from seemingly nowhere everyone in the church hears this blasting from my wife's pocketbook:

"I didn't get that. You can ask me things like When is George Washington’s birthday, How much does it cost to ride the subway, What is Bono's middle name, who was Julius Caesars accountant". Would you like to ask me a question?"

I have a really nice, simple phone and it is also nice looking. I am not sure what type of wood it is made out of but it always works no matter what.

When I want to make a call I just look up the number in my phonebook, which I keep in my back pocket. Then I put a dime in the slot and dial the person I want to call. It always works. (Only in my area code of course)

These electronic things also come in such small boxes that it doesn't seem like there is anything under the tree. I liked the old days when there were such big presents you couldn't see the tree. Like for instance one year I got a set of tires for my 1962 Pontiac Bonneville and once I got outdrives for my boat. Now those were some cool boxes.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us get cool stuff for Christmas and our birthdays but I am lucky as my birthday is actually on Christmas day.

Years ago I used to get a lot of presents because of that, but in those days everyone used to get more presents than now and that happens as we get older. We already have everything that we need so we get things like gift certificates for restaurants, Home depot, Regain, liposuction etc.

One big problem I, and I assume many older people have is we get a lot of electronics for gifts. Electronics don't work for old people and I honestly feel that feature is built into the device.

For instance this year I received from my wife a pedometer. I have been walking every day and I don't know if I am walking a mile or 20 miles so she got me this thing.

It is tiny and you wear it on your wrist. The "instructions" came on a piece of paper the size of those strips they put in fortune cookies and it is written in 5 languages none of which is English.

I just want the thing to tell me how many miles I walked and maybe the time, but that is an option I don't really need as I am retired and I don't care what time it is. I also don't need it to tell me what day it is because I am retired and every day is the same.

The device only has two buttons in it. One is marked "R" and one is marked "M".

I fooled around with it for most of Christmas day and it seems the "R" turns on a small light so you can read it after you fall in a storm drain because it is so tiny and you have to stare at it for a while and don't pay attention to where you are walking.

I think the "M" tells you how much weight Marie Osmond lost on Jenny Craig.
Fit Bit.jpg

I am not yet sure how you can get it to tell you anything else but on the box it has all sorts of functions like your latitude, temperature, Blood pressure, footsteps, battery life, age of some rock singers, recipies etc.

So I wore it on my morning walk and all I can get it to do is tell me what time it is, in military time, but it is five and a half hours off. (I haven't yet used the function about Marie Osmond's weight) I was in the military and even then the time confused me so the thing is a great conversation piece and it will be relegated to my electronics drawer where I keep all my electronic gifts from years past because I have no idea how to use them.

Another gift that will go into that drawer is a lens set for my cell phone so I can take better pictures. There wasn't even a fortune cookie piece of paper to explain how to use these things but I figured out most of them through trial and error. The only part of it I can't figure out is the little remote push button that is supposed to tell the camera on your phone to take the picture. It says on it that it has a blue tooth. I swear I looked very hard and can't even find it's mouth so that will never work.
Lens.jpg

Also, what is this obsession with passwords? Why do I need a password for everything? I am running out of passwords and had to start using Greek Characters. Why do I care if someone steals my password for my electric bill? If you want to pay it for me, go ahead. Or my cell phone. If someone steals my phone and they don’t have my password, how would they call me to tell me where it is. I don’t keep any banking information on my phone because I don’t know how to.

Speaking of cell phones, I have an I Phone 4. I think they are now up to 42 or so. My wife keeps telling me I need to get with the times and get a new phone. But I think mine is much better than hers. . When she wants to make a call or ask the thing something, I hear:

Siri, call,,,,,,Siri,,,,Si,,,,Siri cal,,,,"Who do you want to call?"

Siri, Call Bob,,,,,,,,,,"Who do you want to call?" Siri, call Bobby Str......

"To make a call, you can say things like Siry, call so and so" .
And it goes on like that.

Also her phone sometimes talks to her when she is not even asking it anything. Once we were in Church for a funeral mass. It was dead quiet as it is for most funeral masses. The priest was in a part of the ceremony that called for total quiet and no one was making a sound.

All of a sudden, from seemingly nowhere everyone in the church hears this blasting from my wife's pocketbook:

"I didn't get that. You can ask me things like When is George Washington’s birthday, How much does it cost to ride the subway, What is Bono's middle name, who was Julius Caesars accountant". Would you like to ask me a question?"

I have a really nice, simple phone and it is also nice looking. I am not sure what type of wood it is made out of but it always works no matter what.

When I want to make a call I just look up the number in my phonebook, which I keep in my back pocket. Then I put a dime in the slot and dial the person I want to call. It always works. (Only in my area code of course)

These electronic things also come in such small boxes that it doesn't seem like there is anything under the tree. I liked the old days when there were such big presents you couldn't see the tree. Like for instance one year I got a set of tires for my 1962 Pontiac Bonneville and once I got outdrives for my boat. Now those were some cool boxes.

Please tell me you are working on your book on how men should be living!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back