OP
OP
Alabamareef

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see or missed if you have macro algae in the system.

I would add some in a refugium or possibly even start an algae turf scrubber.

I would then do a black out with no feeding until the HA dies off.

And resume with less duration lighting and feeding and adjust to where corals thrive and the HA doesn't come back.

my .02

Yes I have macro in my fuge now

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing he fails to mention is, that in order for the fuge to totally help out, you gotta have a huge amount. It does work, but you gotta think, how much is in there, and how much water do I have. A small fuge isn't going to cut it.
Now an algae turf scrubber on the other hand, those things rock.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is based on my 110(the op clearly stated he has a 180) and my fuge space. My logic would be that his is larger. I have had an associate with a 55 and a 20 gallon sump use the same technique with also a massive macro growth increase, while at the same time nutrient decrease and all of his algea concentrated in the fuge. The nuisances that is, because of spectrum..

You don't need a massive space, you just need to stay on top of the growth. If you basically bombard the space with a light that is confusing to growth and there are even small amounts of elements, it's gonna grow! High intensity horticultural lighting 101!

Lol,I have been doing this for decades.. Just not with aquariums. But it works great nonetheless..

Note2 on Tap Pro

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I've used and built a scrubber also. The concept is basically the same. The only thing is your not adding additional plumbing and pumps, along with an additional piece of lighting. Add to that, it's a different type of algea..

Really, it's surprising to me that neither anyone else has tried it with any success(I can't be the only person alive that has done hydroponics and aquariums) or has shared this info previously.

Personally, if I had a remote fuge/sump/water change, I'd simply light it with a 400 sodium. That will grow anything, and your only confinement it's going back and forth one you realize how often you need to pull it. But on the flip side, someone is "always, always" looking for good, dense cheato. I produced enough to supply a fish shop, but I grew tired of dealing with it. All from my little 110 and 30 gallon(actual water volume) sump.

Note2 on Tap Pro

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damon I'll let you know how the 125 does. I think it comes in Tuesday

Lol! I look forward to it. .

Do yourself a favor and be sure to do before, progress and after pictures. I wish I had done this through the process.

Sent from Note 2

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine after 2.5 weeks, and I'm running a basic led unit that is dominant in blue. A redder spectrum like the pc grows even faster. . I'm having issues with some new mangrove seedlings I just received, so ignore them. And the indenting in the front is where I pull excess and allow for a viewing Window.

I am posting this simply to show that your not in need of a massive area whatsoever. The limiting factor normally is light. The lights we typically use on our fuges are far too weak to realistically perform any significant nutrient reduction capability through plant growth.

Speed is the key with this. The faster you can get the stuff growing, the more it's going to pull quickly. And over time, the plants (honestly, I just think of them as saltwater weeds) become stronger and stronger.
e5uvu6em.jpg
za4u9eme.jpg

And btw, all of the growth from my mangroves has been since January of this year. They were barely above water when I got them. Also, pod, worm and mini star population is enormous!

Sent from Note 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alabamareef

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the three day black out the tank actually looked better than I thought. This am I did a 10 gallon water change and cleaning and the tank almost looks great. Also got my new light for the fuge in and installed. I'll wait to see how it grows macro.

Man that thing is bright, photo is with the camera flash only. Just hope the UV light does not harm my sump. I know acrylic and UV don't mix well......

Last edited:

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice fit! And yeah they are bright! Lol! They pack a lot of punch for little size and also tiny cost. I have mine also, but have yet to open the box..

And your using an aqueon sump correct? I had mine, with a 200 bulb over my aqueon with no problem.

Sent from Note 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alabamareef

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's an aqueous proflex model 4. And it fit nicley over the fuge. Gonna have to figure out something about the light spillage from the back of the aquarium. This thing light up the room.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! I actually solved that on my first stand by simply closing in the back. I added a few pc tower fans for ventilation. I hadn't done this one as of yet, but I believe that may be my next move also since I'm staying with this tank size (if I keep telling myself long enough, I'm hoping the larger tank thought will loose).

But I think I am going to throw my fixture on tomorrow.

But how is it looking? I know it's very soon, and it took a couple weeks for my algea to begin growing fast. But how is your system and macro looking? One of the first signs is that the macro will begin to darken in color.

Sent from Note 2

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damon, do you use cheato or caulerpa? The pic you posted is feather caulerpa.

Alabama, I suggest you get a different type of macroalgae if you want it to have any chance of outcompeting the hair algae via fuge. That kind you have is caulerpa prolifera, one of the slowest growing caulerpa out there. If you don't mind the possible downfalls of caulerpa (invasive, potential to go sexual), I would get one of the faster growing ones like grape or feather caulerpa. Or switch it out for chaeto, similar fast growth but noninvasive and doesn't go sexual.

Having a fuge filled with macro will help, but I think in the long run with a fuge that small it will not be enough to get rid of the hair algae on its own.

OP
OP
Alabamareef

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are both kinds but that is the one that grows the fasted. So what's up if it goes "sexual"?

And I've got the hair algae knocked down. Good husbandry has done the job. Macro is just a bonus

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been sick and in the hospital(I still am honestly).

My algea is multi(cheato,caluerpa,halemeda, and even some Dragon in there). I haven't had a sexual insurance once in the year and a half this system has been up. As I advised, lighting reverse of dt takes care of that.

I'm sorry but, until you use this level of lighting, you really don't know. The stuff grows fast. Since I'm sick,I will try and check in, in a few more days or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back