Tank brace crack

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, should I be worried? That’s the one disadvantage to having a canopy. It makes cracks on my cross braces difficult if not impossible to see. Doing work on my tank today and took my canopy off only to discover this. No idea how long it has been cracked like this. Both cross braces on my 180 are cracked like this on both the front and back. Looks like a new tank is in my future. I would love be to go bigger, but I don’t really have enough room for a tank much longer than 6 foot. it is an All Glass aquarium that I bought at the beginning of 2002.
C4E6CD04-71DB-4CFE-89BE-3DE5CDC86C6E.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2002 huh? Id say a new tank isn't a horrible idea. But would it be possible to remove that brace and silicone in a new glass brace?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a new tank. I'm sure it will be fine for a long amount of time pending some factors, but there is no guarantee.

If there are WaveMakers in the tank, then I would reduce any sloshing affects to not contribute any added stresses to the bracing if the system can afford that kind of change (if applicable to your system).

If anything sits on the brace with any weight to it then I would relocate those items.

Make some marks to identify the crack's termination points to aid in monitoring. This will help in finding out if the cracks get worst or not.

I imagine any plastics sitting in the sun for the long term would experience some degree of either fading or cracking from UV (A, B, and/or C) exposure, but in a lot less of a intensity with our reef lights. Not sure if our lights even put out any UV B or C spectrums, so it may not even factor in. Just a minor thought.

Who knows, you may have no issues for years, but if it were me I would plan and budget for that replacement or upgrade. Wishing you the best. Happy reefing.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some of this and fill in the cracks. It is some pretty strong stuff and will give you some insurance/time to decide on another tank.
Replace it with glass if you plan on keeping it. You would have to drain 6" or so to do it.
20210123_115637.jpg

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some of this and fill in the cracks. It is some pretty strong stuff and will give you some insurance/time to decide on another tank.
Replace it with glass if you plan on keeping it. You would have to drain 6" or so to do it.
20210123_115637.jpg
Good idea. I’ll definitely get some of that. Cheap enough insurance, for sure.

it’s looking like a new 240 tall. Same 72” x 24” footprint as my 180, but 32 inches tall instead of 24” tall. Hopefully my stand can support another 60 gallons!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a lot worse. Cracks appear to be thermal stress/age rather than torque. If the latter the cracks would be displaced. It’s the plastic parts on these tanks that seem to fail first. Agree that a new tank is the best way to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this can’t make it worse. Got the JB Weld for plastics and filled it in. Should have been thin enough initially to work its way into the crack. I didn’t attempt to defy gravity and get the underside. Don’t want this crap dripping into tre water....

3B255309-ECD4-4F59-87F9-F5CD3CFD9430.jpeg

It is definitely “sun bleached”. This has been sitting under metal halides its whole life. I’m sure it has been hit by plenty of UV. I can see where my canopy standoffs are, the plastic is 10 shades darker. Brown, not tan.

I don’t feel like building a new canopy and stand, so I’ll either get a 210 or a 240. The 210 is 29” tall and the 240 is 32inches tall, same footprint as my 180. Although, I just bought brand new 250 watt halides, which is why I took the canopy off in the first place. Might have to go with 400’s if I get the 240. But I’ll cross that bridge later....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back