Tank cracked:/

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been posting about this tank for a bit, I was planning on many things and today I was finally able to water test it, I took it town on the floor, as I was fixing the stand I heard a glass crack and found a crack split on the glass floor of the tank:/ im very sad to find out it happened but it was my fault entirely for letting it stand on the ground plumbed, I thought it was able to hold it. But it was my fault and feel very sad about it as of now,

What do I do now?

IMG_8781.jpeg IMG_8779.jpeg

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been posting about this tank for a bit, I was planning on many things and today I was finally able to water test it, I took it town on the floor, as I was fixing the stand I heard a glass crack and found a crack split on the glass floor of the tank:/ im very sad to find out it happened but it was my fault entirely for letting it stand on the ground plumbed, I thought it was able to hold it. But it was my fault and feel very sad about it as of now,

What do I do now?

IMG_8781.jpeg IMG_8779.jpeg
Could you add silicone over it? Clean that area super good beforehand. It’s good enough to hold the giant cracks on the sides and bottom I don’t see why it couldn’t hold here? But I’m no expert. I say try the silicone and once the silicone is cured put the tank where you don’t mind water leaking like a garage or outside and fill it with water any let it sit for a few weeks to see if it does well? Personally I’d replace it since I’d be paranoid the whole time but if you’re willing to take the risk I think silicone could help. I’ve done it on my turtle tank before and it held for years but it was also in a place I didn’t mind if it ever did leak.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you add silicone over it? Clean that area super good beforehand. It’s good enough to hold the giant cracks on the sides and bottom I don’t see why it couldn’t hold here? But I’m no expert. I say try the silicone and once the silicone is cured put the tank where you don’t mind water leaking like a garage or outside and fill it with water any let it sit for a few weeks to see if it does well? Personally I’d replace it since I’d be paranoid the whole time but if you’re willing to take the risk I think silicone could help. I’ve done it on my turtle tank before and it held for years but it was also in a place I didn’t mind if it ever did leak.
Sorry, NO.

It's on the bottom of the tank.

It's done.

Sorry bud.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh..... No....

Don't do this, it ain't gonna end well!

You can either experiment with replacing the panel or time for a new tank.

Sucks.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, NO.

It's on the bottom of the tank.

It's done.

Sorry bud.
i know, i was thinking about it but i looked online about it and i saw it was comparatively like a bandaid on an open wound, i think i would have to replace it, the guy i got it from told me to take care of it, so i think that will be my only option, but i appreciate the idea for it

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree, sorry no go, crack will run, tank will empty eventually , is glass correct ?

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know, i was thinking about it but i looked online about it and i saw it was comparatively like a bandaid on an open wound, i think i would have to replace it, the guy i got it from told me to take care of it, so i think that will be my only option, but i appreciate the idea for it
That why I said test it outside first, but that I probably wouldn’t. I’m sorry for your loss!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is glass, I heard it was “low grade” due to the slight green tint on the panes, but i don’t really mind it
First, the green tint just means it has more iron in it; it has nothing to do with the "grade" or quality.

Second, your experience is why I always recommend that people use threaded bulkheads along with unions - then if/when you need to move the tank off the stand, you can completely remove/detach the bulkhead before setting it down.

Sorry this happened to you; wishing you good luck as you move forward :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will try to look out for new tank options or find how much a panel and glue for resealing would cost
What part of the world do you hail from? There might be a decent market for used tanks in your area... Just use due diligence when buying used.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of the world do you hail from? There might be a decent market for used tanks in your area... Just use due diligence when buying used.
yes, i will, im in the southern region of texas, there isnt really a huge market of reef tanks near me. however i did see a glass manufacturer near me and might go in contact with them if i cant find any info on buying glass panels that fit my size

First, the green tint just means it has more iron in it; it has nothing to do with the "grade" or quality.

Second, your experience is why I always recommend that people use threaded bulkheads along with unions - then if/when you need to move the tank off the stand, you can completely remove/detach the bulkhead before setting it down.

Sorry this happened to you; wishing you good luck as you move forward :)
i will also keep this in mind when replacing the panel if i do, I didnt really know anything other than. that they were used for the plumbing, ive never kept a plumed reef, this was going to be a first but i will keep that in mind for next time i either set a tank up or replace the glass bottom, thank you i appreciate your input

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i understand, and info on the tank, its a 36"x20"x20"

if it too much, i will consider looking for a new tank to fit the old one, i have everything set up except the tank now sadly
Dang it!

Depending on how far you want to go.

Source some 1/2" 36"x20" glass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back