Small crack

Eradliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve just noticed a very small impact crack on my tank, it must be new and I don’t know where it came from, it’s on the outside. I’m just wondering do i have to replace my tank now? I’m worried ill be asleep and 20 gallons of water will just start pouring onto the floor.

I can’t get a photo since my camera can’t focus on it, but any suggestions would help,
It’s about 1/16” and in the middle of the tank
Thanks!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. A picture is going to be very helpful so see if you can at least post one and circle where on the tank the crack is located.
2. You said "impact crack"; what do you mean by this? If it's anything with radiating lines/cracks, that is not a good sign.
3. If this is on a panel of glass rather than on an edge, are you sure it's not a scratch?

OP
OP
E

Eradliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try attach a photo here, it’s extremely small, there is no radiating lines it just looks like something smacked the glass somehow, and it’s in the exact middle of the glass panel

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 50

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try attach a photo here, it’s extremely small, there is no radiating lines it just looks like something smacked the glass somehow, and it’s in the exact middle of the glass panel
R u sure its a crack and not a scratch

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it seem to be very deep? I'd not - based on the information you've supplied - I'd consider this more of a surface scratch and nothing to worry about.

Edit: see my post below

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can see into it if that makes sense and now that i’m really staring at it, it has a small radiating line very very small
I would be taking that tank down. That's a lot of pressure and the crack will get bigger.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can see into it if that makes sense and now that i’m really staring at it, it has a small radiating line very very small
Ok, ignore my last post then.
Radiating cracks/chips are bad news. It may not be something you need to deal with immediately, but keep watching it and if the lines/cracks get bigger, plan on replacing the tank.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could feel it with my finger I would go to Petco and grab a 20 and transfer over to it. Then order a 180g drilled with bean animal over flow. Perfect time for an upgrade.

If that doesn't suite you then if it was me I would still go grab a random 20g or big tote and transfer everything to it and order a new replacement of what ever brand it is. If it is a standard 20g then you're set.

OP
OP
E

Eradliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ignore my last post then.
Radiating cracks/chips are bad news. It may not be something you need to deal with immediately, but keep watching it and if the lines/cracks get bigger, plan on replacing the tank.
Do these help?

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2517.jpeg
    IMG_2517.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
E

Eradliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could feel it with my finger I would go to Petco and grab a 20 and transfer over to it. Then order a 180g drilled with bean animal over flow. Perfect time for an upgrade.

If that doesn't suite you then if it was me I would still go grab a random 20g or big tote and transfer everything to it and order a new replacement of what ever brand it is. If it is a standard 20g then you're set.
I’ve currently got a 20 gallon peninsula by tideline, will probably go to another AIO if you have any suggestions?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve currently got a 20 gallon peninsula by tideline, will probably go to another AIO if you have any suggestions?

Nope sorry I don't have much experience with those. But honestly I would transfer and drain that if it was me then order a new tank. I'm very paranoid about flooding though. Someone else maybe just fine waiting that out.

OP
OP
E

Eradliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope sorry I don't have much experience with those. But honestly I would transfer and drain that if it was me then order a new tank. I'm very paranoid about flooding though. Someone else maybe just fine waiting that out.
I’m also extremely nervous about flooding, that’s why i came here for advice this has never happened to me before, kinda freaking out

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back