Tank cracked:/

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i messaged glass cages as i saw they cut pieces to ask for the price of that cut and thickness, thank you for the advice
@Joe Glass Cages makes the most beautiful tanks. The studio is amazing! Each tank is handcrafted by serious artists! You will NOT be sorry. That isn't a huge tank size, it may be more affordable than you expect.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you add silicone over it? Clean that area super good beforehand. It’s good enough to hold the giant cracks on the sides and bottom I don’t see why it couldn’t hold here? But I’m no expert. I say try the silicone and once the silicone is cured put the tank where you don’t mind water leaking like a garage or outside and fill it with water any let it sit for a few weeks to see if it does well? Personally I’d replace it since I’d be paranoid the whole time but if you’re willing to take the risk I think silicone could help. I’ve done it on my turtle tank before and it held for years but it was also in a place I didn’t mind if it ever did leak.
The crack would have to have a hole drilled at the end to stop it from spreading. This basically has to have panel replaced, your lucky it was not tempered and shattered

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages makes the most beautiful tanks. The studio is amazing! Each tank is handcrafted by serious artists! You will NOT be sorry. That isn't a huge tank size, it may be more affordable than you expect.
I was told 156 for a new side of the glass ,
I’ll ask to see how much a new tank would be, but I heard many good reviews about glass cages

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told 156 for a new side of the glass ,
I’ll ask to see how much a new tank would be, but I heard many good reviews about glass cages
I would not suggest "repair". For it to be done correctly, the entire tank would need to be dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt. The reason being that the fresh silicone used to replace the bottom will not adhere to the existing silicone at the side seams and will more than likely leak at those points.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not suggest "repair". For it to be done correctly, the entire tank would need to be dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt. The reason being that the fresh silicone used to replace the bottom will not adhere to the existing silicone at the side seams and will more than likely leak at those points.
i know, i understand that i will have to tear it all apart if i repair it, theres a lot of posts here that have done it correctly and will follow those steps.
but will see when i get a quote on the new tank

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know, i understand that i will have to tear it all apart if i repair it, theres a lot of posts here that have done it correctly and will follow those steps.
but will see when i get a quote on the new tank
i was told 850 for a new tank, not plumbed but i dont mind paying the extra if there is, i think its a good price, if i sell the broken tank as is, i dont know if i can get some of it back to get a new one, its alot of money for me still and thinking about just replacing and resealing

anyone have any posts about resealing stories or general advice? ill keep looking around and hopefully post a thread for help if i need it, im still bummed out about it cracking still.. but i hopefully will have a story for it over the years

edit, if it takes alot of tries, ill be frustrated but i want to be cost efficient and learn along the way

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a tank is not "hard"; it is tedious and more about practice, planning, timing, a steady hand and a "feel" for what is "right". It all must be done at once, as all of the silicone must be wet and not skinned over, etc. on all of the panels and joints.

I am decent at it, but would not remotely consider putting together a display tank of more than 50 or so gallons.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks so much @Katrina71

really appreciate the support!

Yes, this is sad. I have a hard time seeing things like this. Yes cant beat yourself up on it. Accidents happen. Good that no one was hurt!

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a tank is not "hard"; it is tedious and more about practice, planning, timing, a steady hand and a "feel" for what is "right". It all must be done at once, as all of the silicone must be wet and not skinned over, etc. on all of the panels and joints.

I am decent at it, but would not remotely consider putting together a display tank of more than 50 or so gallons.
Thank you, I will try to apply that when I do, but I will to extensive research before starting anything, I don’t want to keep messing up like I did now.

I just hope everything goes well

Txoutlaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will try to apply that when I do, but I will to extensive research before starting anything, I don’t want to keep messing up like I did now.

Hey man,I've resealed a few tanks before but I've never taken one completely apart and put it back together. I have watched a lot of vids and read up on the process though and it don't seem all that hard.im mechanically inclined and can pretty much build or repair anything. I've also drilled tanks before too.if you want to give it a shot just let me and I'll help you out.that or there is a 92g cube on market place for $150.the girl wanted $125 for it but when I message her about it she changed the price up to $150 but it's still a good deal.it will probably need to be resealed too so just throwing that out there.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man,I've resealed a few tanks before but I've never taken one completely apart and put it back together. I have watched a lot of vids and read up on the process though and it don't seem all that hard.im mechanically inclined and can pretty much build or repair anything. I've also drilled tanks before too.if you want to give it a shot just let me and I'll help you out.that or there is a 92g cube on market place for $150.the girl wanted $125 for it but when I message her about it she changed the price up to $150 but it's still a good deal.it will probably need to be resealed too so just throwing that out there.
Thank you, what part of Texas by the way? And I do think it’s a good deal, but I think resealing it would cost more. I messaged Donna glass and they said they can replace the glass and reseal it surprisingly,I haven’t gotten a price yet for the resealment but the glass replacement is 120. I’m still looking into what size hole I need to tell them to drill, I’m planning to call reef valley soon tomorrow for advice.

But when I get a total price I’ll come back on the total quote, but I’m really glad you messaged, there’s not a lot of people in the rgv that would reseal aquariums lol

Txoutlaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you, what part of Texas by the way? And I do think it’s a good deal, but I think resealing it would cost more. I messaged Donna glass and they said they can replace the glass and reseal it surprisingly,I haven’t gotten a price yet for the resealment but the glass replacement is 120. I’m still looking into what size hole I need to tell them to drill, I’m planning to call reef valley soon tomorrow for advice.

But when I get a total price I’ll come back on the total quote, but I’m really glad you messaged, there’s not a lot of people in the rgv that would reseal aquariums lol
I live in Harlingen. Remember we talked the other day when you was looking for lights?anyways,if I was you I would go with a overflow box on the back glass.the one you have just takes up too much room and it's bulky.plus you can do the bean animal style return.so look at Fiji cube,eshopps, synergy reef for overflow boxes.once you order it and get to the house .take it up there and they'll know what size to drill the hole and where to place it.thats the most simplest way of doing it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back