Tank crash

clowntank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I would love some advice. Around a week ago I started to notice what I thought was diatoms, really starting to take over. This was around the same time two of my snails got very lethargic and one of them died. Soon after, my corals all shrank completely and have not opened since. I tested my nitrates and phosphates with salifert, confirming around 5-10ppm nitrates and 0 ppm phosphates. I had a feeling that my “diatoms” were actually Dino’s, so I went into my lab and looked at a sample under the microscope, and sure enough, it was. However it wasn’t the highly toxic variant, so that confused me, as everything in my tank besides my clownfish are taking a heavy beating. I haven’t been doing water changes in hopes of raising phosphates, and my salinity is around 1.025. Pictures are attached. I really want my coral to come back although I’ve kind of accepted that they’re goners, and I have neophos on the way. The second to last image is a “before”

DB739F2B-8FCC-4C14-A083-4C0738F2C851.jpeg B8362BE3-EFE5-4978-BDA6-F10AAD780488.jpeg B74C6F9F-6D37-4F88-B687-18BEAB1D4DA7.jpeg 5B42DCA9-4121-47D0-965C-1BEF908D48C1.jpeg 4E3911BB-C10F-459D-B935-0113EC495F30.jpeg

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just love some insight as to what might be going on- from what I’ve seen, it doesn’t seem like anything should be making them this upset
Probably having zero phosphate is the issue. No food for Corals so get some p04 into the tank and hang on for the ride.

I rode that roller coaster for a few months and still need to keep an eye on things as nutrients for me can shift without much warning. What are you using to test the phosphate?

OP
OP
C

clowntank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably having zero phosphate is the issue. No food for Corals so get some p04 into the tank and hang on for the ride.

I rode that roller coaster for a few months and still need to keep an eye on things as nutrients for me can shift without much warning. What are you using to test the phosphate?
That’s what I was thinking too- I’m using salifert which I know isn’t as great as Hanna but it’s very obvious it’s at 0. I’ll try to dose and keep it up. Thank you!

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking too- I’m using salifert which I know isn’t as great as Hanna but it’s very obvious it’s at 0. I’ll try to dose and keep it up. Thank you!
No worries, also dose for a few days and if it keeps bottoming out don't be afraid to up the dose.

Meh everyone likes what they know and use, so go for it. I personally like the ULR Hanna phosphorus checker as it's pretty darn good at reading ppb. There was a time I thought it wasn't reading properly so I dipped a needle into Neophos and just swirled it into the Hanna vial and poof insta blue color so now I know it worked lol.. gl and hope it solves your problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back