Tank crash

pratt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost power for four days due to hurricane Irma. Everything in my tank has died. I am restarting and not in a hurry to restore my tank. However, my sand has turned black. My question is will I be able to get my current cleaned enough to use it with water changes, carbon and skimming?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the sand, I would ditch it too, no telling what sorts of bacterial residues and nutrient buildup has been absorbed into it.

OP
OP
P

pratt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 125 sand bed about 1-2in. The amount of death is a lot. I don't really know how to explain the bio load. I was dosing 95mil a day of b-ionic to maintain levels. I don't know if that will help.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 125 sand bed about 1-2in. The amount of death is a lot. I don't really know how to explain the bio load. I was dosing 95mil a day of b-ionic to maintain levels. I don't know if that will help.

Personally, I would ditch the sand and even bleach the rocks. Replacement dry sand is cheap. Clean everything else out using vinegar and do a complete reboot. This is what I had to do following Katrina.

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If costs aren't an issue. Absolutely ditch the sand. And just like @Humblefish said, absolutely clean everything with vinegar!(tank and equipment).

I would scrub then toss the rock in clean saltwater with a lid(complete darkness), and a powerhead. Let them cure while your getting ready and setting up the reboot.

If you must wash the sand. Lookup sand cleaning methods. I have personally cleaned and re used sand from a tank crash. Cleaned it well. And it thrived.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you intend on keeping the sand and you've ever had any bristleworms or urchins, don't stir it up with your hands! Learned that lesson the hard way... Use a paint mixing stick or something similar.

*K&AreeFers*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you lost your tank. We lost power for over 3 days and the house got to 93 degrees but using ice in bags to cool the tank it made it. The tank looks real ugly with a lot of red algie but all fish made it and most corals as well. I feel for you. I was thinking the same was going to happen to my tank. Good luck getting your new one up and running.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back