Tank crew help

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all have had my tank for over a year now and recently have had a bubble algae explosion. I do have a light clean up crew off a bristle starfish sand sifting starfish and 3 turbo snails and 1 peanut snail. I have a 30 gallon tank and am curious what steps I can take or what creatures I can add to rid of the bubble algae?

D39EB1E9-B717-405A-9AC6-87E76D1A63C7.jpeg 40E201B5-EF01-49A1-B5AD-320FB851E53C.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubble Algae, Valonia

bubblealgae 300x225

Usually a member of the Valonia genus, this fast spreading algae can go from just a few "plants" to covering the tank in a short amount of time. Because of this you will want to treat it quickly, before the algae has the opportunity to send spores throughout your system.

Manual Removal: Like most algae, this species can spread from fragments. When you pluck them from the rock, try to remove it all from the rock and that may require scraping or it could grow back. Also try to catch any dislodged pieces. It is usually easiest if you get them small, cover them with a baster, scrape the baster along the rock, and when the Valonia comes off release the plunger and suck it up. Discard and repeat. Be aggressive with your manual removal, removing it every time you see it and you should win out.

Clean Up Crew: Mithrax crabs (Such as Emerald and Ruby Crabs) and Pitho Crabs will eat it, as well as certain Rabbitfish.

It is fairly easy to keep this species out of the aquarium by inspecting rock and frags added to your tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back