Tank cycle and transfer

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am need of some advice and expertise! I currently have a bio cube 14 that has been running for about a year. I am looking to transfer my bio cube stock to my 55g. Last night I added sand, life rock, tap water, conditioner, and salt, and I started the filter, heater, and wake maker. (RODI water will be used for water changes in the future) I plan to add biospira and I would like to cycle with ammonia. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks.

9304DF52-A6EC-477B-BBDE-7CAFD5332D73.jpeg

D574F5EF-A650-4426-B334-D2D7447107D3.jpeg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why tap water?
IMO you will cycle the tank with no problem.
Had you tank setup with newly mixed saltwater and added a few pieces of your exiting liverock would had given you a much better cycle.
Turn lights of when cycle as you don't want that extra algae growth.
Test daily on ammonia and nitrite till you read 0.0 do a test with bringing up the ammonia level and see how tank will cycle back within 24hrs.
After that you're cycled and slowly can add some livestock to cycle the tank even further.

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water because it was the easiest way for me to get water. When do you think I can add rock from the old tank to the new?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be sure, do you know what's in the tap water? Most water is treated with chlorine or chloramine. Unless you know for a fact that your tap water is amazingly clean, use RODI.

Looks like you used live rock correct? Purchased locally, transferred wet, and put right into the tank? If so, then you will probably have little to no cycle. you will, of course, have all the fun that comes with a new tank like algae and diatoms. A good test is to dose pure ammonia, no scents or additives, to 0.2ppm(I think, double check me on the concentration.) I good test is to have a seachem alert badge. You should see the badge turn a light blue and then go back to beige within 24 hours. Do this, of course, with no living creatures large enough to see in the tank.

So, good opportunity here. I just did a transfer myself. Did you properly QT your fish in the biocube? If not, since they've lasted this long, they likely don't have velvet but could very well still have flukes, ich, or bacterial infections. This is a great opportunity to confirm and remediate all of those conditions. Unless the new live rock came from a fishes system I'd let the new DT sit fallow for 76 days. On day 64 start the TTM method for your existing fish. Start with a FW dip between the biocube and the first TTM tank for 3-5 minutes and check for evidence of flukes. If you find evidence you can treat with prazipro in tanks 1 and 3. Check for white, stringy poop from any fish as well while they're undergoing the TTM. If you see any, you can treat in tanks 2 and 4. The TTM itself takes care of ich. You can read up on all of this in the fish disease section. There's some great information from people with significant experience.

Good luck!

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs was confident that the tap water would be okay for set up and cycle. I have treated it with conditioner. Water changes will be with RODI. I have a ammonia badge ready to go. I thought someone said 2 ppm on the ammonia. I will double check this. And freshwater dip sounds like a good idea. Thank you

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be sure, do you know what's in the tap water? Most water is treated with chlorine or chloramine. Unless you know for a fact that your tap water is amazingly clean, use RODI.

Looks like you used live rock correct? Purchased locally, transferred wet, and put right into the tank? If so, then you will probably have little to no cycle. you will, of course, have all the fun that comes with a new tank like algae and diatoms. A good test is to dose pure ammonia, no scents or additives, to 0.2ppm(I think, double check me on the concentration.) I good test is to have a seachem alert badge. You should see the badge turn a light blue and then go back to beige within 24 hours. Do this, of course, with no living creatures large enough to see in the tank.

So, good opportunity here. I just did a transfer myself. Did you properly QT your fish in the biocube? If not, since they've lasted this long, they likely don't have velvet but could very well still have flukes, ich, or bacterial infections. This is a great opportunity to confirm and remediate all of those conditions. Unless the new live rock came from a fishes system I'd let the new DT sit fallow for 76 days. On day 64 start the TTM method for your existing fish. Start with a FW dip between the biocube and the first TTM tank for 3-5 minutes and check for evidence of flukes. If you find evidence you can treat with prazipro in tanks 1 and 3. Check for white, stringy poop from any fish as well while they're undergoing the TTM. If you see any, you can treat in tanks 2 and 4. The TTM itself takes care of ich. You can read up on all of this in the fish disease section. There's some great information from people with significant experience.

Good luck!

I used life rock, which is dry rock with the purple coating. Do I still need to use ammonia? And I only have 2 tanks, I’m confused by what you’re saying. Also what is ttm? Sorry for the late questions.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Wasn't sure if life rock was a typo for live rock. Yes, you'll need to dose ammonia or provide some other ammonia source to kick start the cycle. Using one of the various bacteria in a bottle products helps the process as well.

TTM is tank transfer method. I suggest reading up on the stickies in the fish disease forum. A lot of good info on different QT protocols.

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using the store bought ammonia this time..which I have never used before. When should I add it? And also for starting qt tank, how do I do that? I plan on making a small one for future uses. I did not have room before to have one but now I do with the under storage on my new tank stand. Do I have to cycle a qt tank too if I just use water and nothing else in it.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using the store bought ammonia this time..which I have never used before. When should I add it? And also for starting qt tank, how do I do that? I plan on making a small one for future uses. I did not have room before to have one but now I do with the under storage on my new tank stand. Do I have to cycle a qt tank too if I just use water and nothing else in it.

Add the ammonia to start the cycle. For tracking the ammonia, I still prefer the Seachem alert badge, but I'm slightly lazy too.

For QT, please read the following threads as well as doing searches on the site. These two should get you started though. The people that created and monitor those threads will be your best source of information.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-dos-and-don’ts-of-quarantine.203898/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back