Tank cycle question amm

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I been cycling tank for 4weeks. These levels have remained the same for 5days. Want to do a 50% water change on friday to add fish Saturday. Was told by someone that my nitrates could starve due to no amm thought. Someone had also said to dose 1.0 amm and if after 24hrs there was zero amm and zero nitrites, then my tank was cycled. Could I dose amm to see? Or will that delay the cycle? Thx
IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0099.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I been cycling tank for 4weeks. These levels have remained the same for 5days. Want to do a 50% water change on friday to add fish Saturday. Was told by someone that my nitrates could starve due to no amm thought. Someone had also said to dose 1.0 amm and if after 24hrs there was zero amm and zero nitrites, then my tank was cycled. Could I dose amm to see? Or will that delay the cycle? Thx
IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0099.jpeg
How much ammonia have you added upto now?

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add ammonia. You've already cycled past that by the fact of your nitrite and nitrate readings. I would do a water change and add a fish. Also would add some hermits.

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are really close I was in a very similar situation when cycling my tank. Since you still have some Nitrites I would wait till they are processing down to zero in about 8-12 hours after your Ammonia is processed. I wanted to be cautious so I did what your friend suggested I did a partial dose to make sure it was processed out and not stalling in the nitrite to Nitrate conversion. You should be fine, but if it were me I would wait just to make sure.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zero, I only added 2.0ppm amm when I started cycle 4weeks ago
If you can get it to process 1ppm ammonia in 24hrs, you should be good, as long as you're not silly with the amount of fish you add. So far you've processed a fraction of that (presumably in the last week or so). Time for a little more ammonia, methinks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back