Tank Cycle

laynframe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to cycle a tank and not use LR,LW,orLS. I've had a tank crash in the past and also was givin the gift of several bad hitch hikers, so I'm setting up a new tank with dead rock,sand, and water, and I dont want to use anybodies stuff in fear of the bad hitch hikers. Just curious on your opinions.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just put the sand in and get the water in line. then put the rock in and let it go it will have a lot of die off on it that will help start your cycle. or you can boil the rock to make sure and eliminate any little bugs and aptasia that might be hanging on, then put the rock in and throw a peice or 2 of feeder shrimp/krill, or a silver side and let it decompose and that will start the cycle.. it will take longer to cycle with no live rock to help it start but you will have a fresh cycle.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to cycle a tank and not use LR,LW,orLS. I've had a tank crash in the past and also was givin the gift of several bad hitch hikers, so I'm setting up a new tank with dead rock,sand, and water, and I dont want to use anybodies stuff in fear of the bad hitch hikers. Just curious on your opinions.

Macro algaes.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeovit method is pretty clean. I did this using Marcorocks (dry rock). I did add a few pounds of his live rock. Worked quite well.

OP
OP
L

laynframe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Marco rock as well, and really like it! I think Ill go with the M7 and shrimp and let it do its thing. I also have a Eco pellet system, and I'm not sure to start that with my cycle or not?!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
set-up your tank with "dead" sand, rock, and new water. Then add a standard cocktail shrimp and allow it to begin decomposing, this will cycle your tank.

Personally, if it were me, I would set up my tank, then add a small cupfull of sand and a small piece of LR from another aquarium that you trust. The sand and rock will add the desired bacteria and desirable microorganisms such as coralline algae. Then add the cocktail shrimp.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
set-up your tank with "dead" sand, rock, and new water. Then add a standard cocktail shrimp and allow it to begin decomposing, this will cycle your tank.

Personally, if it were me, I would set up my tank, then add a small cupfull of sand and a small piece of LR from another aquarium that you trust. The sand and rock will add the desired bacteria and desirable microorganisms such as coralline algae. Then add the cocktail shrimp.

+1 This is what I do, you could just start with the dry sand and rock too, eventually you will have bacteria in there.

ImageX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a old setup tank or a buddies tank you can take the skimmer poop and dump it into your tank... it's pure funk (similar to mb7 or the cycle fast products) and will contain alot of bacteria and the old goodies into your new tank... it's better then taking out old tank water... more concentrated... also i played around with dosing vodka when cycling to give it more carbon to boost bacteria growth and it helped had barely a cycle and cycled in 2 weeks...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back