Tank Cycle

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I just finished setting up my first tank (Marineland 5 Gallon Portrait), and now I am getting ready to begin the cycle. However, I have a few questions regarding the cycling process. I am planning on using Fishless Fuel and TurboStart 900 both from Fritz Aquatics.

1. Does the order in which I put my ammonia and nitrifying bacteria matter?
2. Once I am done cycling my tank, how long can the bacteria population survive without livestock?
3. If I start out with just 1 or 2 soft corals, will there be enough ammonia to sustain the bacteria population?

To anyone that responds, thank you for taking the time to do so and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents, I would't waste my time or money on ammonia or bacteria. Read Aquabiomics article on establishing healthy microbiomes (less than 2 percent of the microbial stuff can be cultured and stuck in a bottle).

FWIW corals favorite foods are ammonia and urea from fish. Get some live sand (wild or maricultured) a small piece or two of live rock, easy corals like soft corals you mentioned or easy zoas or mushrooms or purple stylo, some hermits and just add small pinches of pellet food. Check ammonia every few days or so and add your fish when ready.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents, I would't waste my time or money on ammonia or bacteria. Read Aquabiomics article on establishing healthy microbiomes (less than 2 percent of the microbial stuff can be cultured and stuck in a bottle).

FWIW corals favorite foods are ammonia and urea from fish. Get some live sand (wild or maricultured) a small piece or two of live rock, easy corals like soft corals you mentioned or easy zoas or mushrooms or purple stylo, some hermits and just add small pinches of pellet food. Check ammonia every few days or so and add your fish when ready.
After the cycle is finished, how long can the bacteria survive in the tank without livestock if there is live sand? Also, will just one or two corals be enough fuel for the bacteria population to thrive? I wasn't planning on adding any inverts or fish because of my small tank size, but if that would benefit the tank, then I could look into purchasing some.

Upvote 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long, long time. As ammonia and urea are essential sources on nitrogen for corals often the nitrifying bacteria typically attributed to being necessary for cycleing aren't found in systems. You can do your ssytem fishless but you do need something eating and pooping to provide ammonia and urea for the corals. Hermits and/or maybe a cleaner shrimp, something you can feed a few pellets to daily. Maybe a couple small nasarious snails also.

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back