Tank Cycling & Alk/Calcium Stability

SRQreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers:

Although I've been in the hobby for over a decade, I am now, for the first time, starting a new tank from scratch (check my build thread!). All of my previous tanks (and tank upgrades) were "up and running" beforehand.

I am about three weeks into the cycling process, which I accelerated early on with Dr. Tim's. While everything seems to be going great with the ammonia/nitrate cycle, I am having real trouble maintaining consistent alkalinity and calcium levels. I've been buffering to around 8.5 - 9.0, only to see it drop 2.0 points over the following 48 hours. (For example, on Sunday at 12:37, I had alk at 8.54; now its at 6.7, where it seems to stabilize). During the drop periods, I am dosing about 55 ml of Foundation B daily and using Seachem Reef Buffer for the "big moves". I've watched this alk drop cycle happen several times over the past couple of weeks.

Although my calcium is, relatively speaking, a lot more stable, there is nothing in the tank except a ton of dry rock structure and live sand, and I'm having a heck of a time keeping the calcium level above the 350s, even with daily Foundation A dosing in the 40 ml range.

Is this normal? I've read plenty of threads that say I should not be chasing numbers at this stage, but I'm not sure if I should continue trying to push up alk at the same frequency, or if I should just let it roll for a bit?

My PH moves between 8.4 and 8.5, my temp is consistently 78 - 79, and my magnesium is a pretty consistent 1319. I am using an Apex and Trident (recently calibrated and accurate) for measurements. I haven't done a water change yet.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ride it out, no need to adjust anything for a bit, let it level out by itself once the rock and or sand gets settled. Do the usual water changes and it will be fine.

Gossy379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post here,

I think I am running into a similar issue now on my new 150G tank, I've been running a 38G tank for a few years and dose to keep it stable at ~9 so I figured I would get a head start on the new tank. I did a Frtiz Turbo-Start fishless cycle and the tank has been up for ~3w at this point. I did full dry rock and dry sand, but moved some bio-media over from the existing tank. I've left the lights off and the tank is empty aside from a few clowns.

What was weird was that I was dosing 320mL of BRS two-part a day to try to keep the new tank at that level. Tonight I was cleaning some silt off the side of the tank and noticed the top of the sand bed was crusty so I think I have had a bit of precipitation occurring. How long-ish should I let the tank try to settle before I start dosing? I am hoping to transfer over the rest of the old tank in the next few week or so (a firefish, blenny, and some LPS corals).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back