Tank cycling

reefrookie379

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I started my new tank, MarineX 100.4, on Sunday April 24th. I added in 16 oz of Turbo start 900 along with feeding the bacteria with Algae Barn NitroCycle ammonia. The tank was cycled according to testing on May 2nd. I added my first fish, a pair of clowns, on May 3. I have tested this morning and there was 0 nitrites but 20-40 nitrates reading with API dip test .. API ammonia test is reading 0.25-0.5 it seems. Is it time to add a clean up crew or do my first water change? Tank has no show of any algae bloom or diatoms to this point. Thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,

I started my new tank, MarineX 100.4, on Sunday April 24th. I added in 16 oz of Turbo start 900 along with feeding the bacteria with Algae Barn NitroCycle ammonia. The tank was cycled according to testing on May 2nd. I added my first fish, a pair of clowns, on May 3. I have tested this morning and there was 0 nitrites but 20-40 nitrates reading with API dip test .. API ammonia test is reading 0.25-0.5 it seems. Is it time to add a clean up crew or do my first water change? Tank has no show of any algae bloom or diatoms to this point. Thank you.
API strips are geared for freshwater use also and quite inaccurate
Tank a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours
Nitrite has no significance in saltwater tank unless SKY HIGH

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Pretty quick cycling hard to believe. Mine took 45 days

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycled don’t add anymore ammonia you’ll just end up with more nitrates. I would however get better testing supplies. Salifert Hannah Red Sea nyos would be good choices. You’ll need nitrate phosphate to start and mag cal and alk before adding corals

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t add a clean up crew until there’s something in there for them to eat. But as above, DONT add extra ammonia with fish in there.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t add a clean up crew until there’s something in there for them to eat. But as above, DONT add extra ammonia with fish in there.
Your cycled don’t add anymore ammonia you’ll just end up with more nitrates. I would however get better testing supplies. Salifert Hannah Red Sea nyos would be good choices. You’ll need nitrate phosphate to start and mag cal and alk before adding corals
Sorry I did not notice fish present I am wrong

OP
OP
R

reefrookie379

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty quick cycling hard to believe. Mine took 45
You have to keep adding Pure ammonia until at least 4ppm is transformed in one day
To my understanding it was safe to add fish when it was transforming 1-2 ppm in 24 hours wish it was. That’s when I added my clowns.

OP
OP
R

reefrookie379

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will look into those test kits. So I should start on my water change schedule or do I continue to hold off until I reach certain parameters?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! It's not too late to request a new username, though. If you're still doing this 5 years down the road people will think you're still a newbie. LOL

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my understanding it was safe to add fish when it was transforming 1-2 ppm in 24 hours wish it was. That’s when I added my clowns.
Yes, that’s more than enough. Total ammonia can approach 1.5ppm at normal pH ranges before the free ammonia seems problematic. Clowns are apparently hardy so you should be fine. I would just monitor and do regular water changes as part of your maintenance schedule.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back