Tank damaged during shipping - please advise

Huckleberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR; After waiting 12 weeks for my brand new 60" x 24" x 24" reef tank, someone at the shipping company skewered the crate with a fork lift and I am not sure if the remedy that the supplier is proposing is enough to allow me to sleep at night.

When I sent pictures of the damage to the supplier (they contracted the shipping) and notified them of my refusal to accept delivery, I asked that their claim with the shipping company include the following 2 things:

1. They secure enough compensation from the shipping company to take the time to break down the entire tank and reseal ALL of the glass panes.
2. That the shipping company provide, at their expense, white glove service for the second attempt at delivery.

After paying 4 friends (plus buying them dinner) to sit around and watch Netflix for 4 hours while we waited the crate to arrive, my delivery budget is now gone.

The tank supplier's initial reaction is that they doubt they will be able get this from the shipper but that they will replace the damaged panels and repair only the affected seals leaving original seals for the rest of the tank. To the supplier's credit, they claim they will stand by their original life time warranty, but... "this warranty does not cover the loss of fish, personal injury, property loss, or other damage arising out of the use of the aquarium". AND I must also pay for any shipping expenses to get the leaky aquarium back to them.

So I ask all of you experts out there (preferably experts that have had to deal with a leaky aquarium or 2):

Would you pay multiple thousands of dollars for a "repaired" tank?
Would you be able to sleep at night, knowing that the only thing keeping your fish and corals alive is a set of seals that were not cured all at the same time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Huckleberry

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would want a new tank for sure not refurbished.

My 20G first came with a few scratches that I couldn’t live with. So I contacted BRS and they sent a complete new tank right when I gave the scratched tank to ups. They paid for it all including return and express shipping on the new tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be okay with paying for a new tank that had to be repaired because of something that wasn't your fault. If the tank were to fail, as you mentioned, the cost of the tank is insignificant compared to everything else.

Also, if you had to pay your "friends" to help you move a tank you need to find better friends.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A solid nope. If a forklift hit it hard enough to go through the crate and bust glass and seams, I’d consider all the seams to be suspect. I’d never feel safe to fill it with water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Before making any demands or stopping any payments (as they likely did not ship a broken tank) - Contact the manufacturer/shipper and provide clear pictures and ask for the boss/supervisior and see how they plan to proceed.
Many work this type of situation out amicably and there may be a delay.
If you are ignored, then consider a chargeback or dispute

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope nope nope. I would not pay full price for a ding and dent floor model.

can you provide pictures?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not. No chance, no way would I want a repaired tank. You paid for a new tank, and the risk outweighs the benefit.
From my experience with American, I do not endorse being a "Karen". Be polite but stick by your truth. If they are unable or unwilling to provide to you a new tank, then you are within your rights to cancel and get your money back.
Keep in mind that the shipping agent is responsible for reimbursing the manufacturer for the damaged product. Do you think they are just filing a claim for two panels of glass? Heck no, they are charging back that whole tank.... so should you.
Best wishes and good luck! Following...

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank or take your business somewhere else. You paid premium for a brand new tank, not some rigged aquarium.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Nope....it was their job and the shipping companies responsibility to get your tank here new. Them rebuilding the tank is unacceptable.
New tank or dispute the charges and drag them through the mud here.
Not a rebuild- NEW REPLACEMENT

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just re-read and my apologies to everyone- This is the worse resolution ive heard of regarding a tank and Replacement or Refund and you can let them know you can do it the Easy way or the Hard way for a refund and they can Pay to have it picked up and returned also.

Game On !!!

1619975104671.png

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow just wow. I'm not the type of person to complain about service but this is crazy. I would say I'm fine with it being completely resealed but not some half done resealing job.

OP
OP
Huckleberry

Huckleberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the support...

I knew I wasn't crazy for asking for a brand newly sealed up tank. I'll let you know how it all plays out.

I wouldn't be okay with paying for a new tank that had to be repaired because of something that wasn't your fault. If the tank were to fail, as you mentioned, the cost of the tank is insignificant compared to everything else.

Also, if you had to pay your "friends" to help you move a tank you need to find better friends.
I offered and paid my friends because I had budgeted the money and as my friends I respected them enough to do so.

Charity is a wonderful thing but I am too proud to ask others for their time for free.

/shrug

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends are paid in pizza and beer. Regarding the tank, you paid for a brand new tank and that’s what you should get. Let the manufacturer try to make it right with a brand new tank or give you your money back. I would forever be worried if I had a refurbished tank in my house.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would demand a new tank and a full refund. Especially if it’s a thousand dollar tank! Their workers should be more carful, and they should be the one that pays for your new tank, not you.

OP
OP
Huckleberry

Huckleberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After nearly a week of back and forth with the tank supplier, they are holding onto the idea that their "repaired" seals solution should be considered "as new".

Since I still have serious doubts of the viability of new silicone seals adhering to older silicone seals (much less that of silicone seals that have taken the impact of a forklift tine), I am currently researching the odds of successfully getting settlement for a tank with brand new seals via small claims court.

Although the thought of travelling across continent to argue my case in court is unappealing, the thought of owning a tank with thousands of dollars in fish and corals being held up by damaged silicone seals is untennable.

If anyone here has any experience they would like to share in dealing with small claims court claims, I would be appreciative.

Huckleberry

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a custom tank? Or something like an SCA 150?

Are they suggesting the tank being shipped back to the supplier for repair? or being repaired "On-Site"?
Where is the tank now?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back