Tank Dilemma

Yolofly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a small dilemma and was going to ask if you can help me out deciding what to do.

I have a 40 gallon tank in my room currently running with lice stock and was thinking about upgrading to a bigger gallon tank, but my space is limited. I was thinking about a 60g cube tank that is 24”x 24”x 24” or a bow front 54 g tank.

what do you guys think would be best?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a small dilemma and was going to ask if you can help me out deciding what to do.

I have a 40 gallon tank in my room currently running with lice stock and was thinking about upgrading to a bigger gallon tank, but my space is limited. I was thinking about a 60g cube tank that is 24”x 24”x 24” or a bow front 54 g tank.

what do you guys think would be best?
Fish typically do better with a wider tank so they have more swim room. Inverts are not as picky. So it depends on what type of tank you want to develop.

OP
OP
Yolofly

Yolofly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish typically do better with a wider tank so they have more swim room. Inverts are not as picky. So it depends on what type of tank you want to develop.
I want to have inverts and small fish (clowns)

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank a 40 breeder? If so , I’d stick with the 40.

40 breeder
Footprint 648 sq in
Longest run for a fish to swim: 36 in
Linear space (all sides added up): 108 in

24x24 cube
Footprint: 576 sq in
Longest run for a fish to swim: 24
Linear space (all sides added up): 96 in

The only thing you have more of in the 60 cube would be water volume and height. Vertical water space doesn’t really help fish though. You have more swimming space and more room for territories in the 40 breeder.

OP
OP
Yolofly

Yolofly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank a 40 breeder? If so , I’d stick with the 40.

40 breeder
Footprint 648 sq in
Longest run for a fish to swim: 36 in
Linear space (all sides added up): 108 in

24x24 cube
Footprint: 576 sq in
Longest run for a fish to swim: 24
Linear space (all sides added up): 96 in

The only thing you have more of in the 60 cube would be water volume and height. Vertical water space doesn’t really help fish though. You have more swimming space and more room for territories in the 40 breeder.
Hello fishbird,
my tank is not a breeder. I have a 75 g in the living room cycling. This one is just for my room, more like a private display for me. I thought about a breeder too but the only space I have is 36” W and 24 L something bigger than that would not fit ( beside that my wife would kill me lol).

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fishbird,
my tank is not a breeder. I have a 75 g in the living room cycling. This one is just for my room, more like a private display for me. I thought about a breeder too but the only space I have is 36” W and 24 L something bigger than that would not fit ( beside that my wife would kill me lol).
Go with the cube

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 112 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back