Tank disaster recovered - back to Gyres

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mishap about a year ago, where I never made the time to mount my second eb832, xr30pro power supplies and a few other things, which were lost when the pressure switch on the Avast Davey Jones skimmate locker didn’t work when my skimmer went crazy, flooding the bottom of my stand (so glad I followed the LFS recommendation of using pond liner in the bottom of the stand!).

I have replaced the Radion power supplies and also had purchased two Neptune WAV power heads, since the Gyre controller was dead and for some reason I wanted the WAVs (I’m an IT guy and possibly the Apex integration was calling my name). I’ve been running the WAVs about two or three months now and have experiencing problems with cyano and the like growing on the mega overflows (220 gal Aqueon). I rearranged the aquascape and have been eyeing nutrients, etc. and finally decided to replace the damaged controller for the two XF350 Gyres. WOW! I truly forgot how good they are and I’m only running one of them (troubleshooting the other, as it is vibrating but not rotating). The detritus a d other matter that was collecting within and behind the rock work, between the mega overflows and in the tanks corners is now being lifted into the water column and I’m so glad I have Gyres again. I won’t make the mistake of letting the sit again, even if I keep using the WAVs. BTW, the Gyres are dead silent, but I can’t say the same about the WAVs.

I think having this tank downtime (even though it was still running with fish only at the time ) was the best thing that could’ve happened to my reefing experience. I’ve come back stronger than before, much more knowledgeable, much less lazy about upkeep and am learning about and understanding water chemistry and other aspects of reefing better and better each day. Corals are being added and now that the tank is almost two years old, things are going nicely. Another positive things I recently upgraded was lighting. I added a Aquatic Life 60” T5 hybrid with the three XR30 Pro G4 Radions.

I got married November 22 and now have a 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter and a wife who are all animal lovers, to share things with. Life is good and God has truly blessed me. Thanks for listening!
Joe

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go Joe! Congratulations on the new wife and kids. I also have just gone fish only for extended time and kind of just let the tank run, and kept it and the fish alive. Great idea on the pond liner.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back