Tank drilling question

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at ditching my 60 cube for a 120, 48X24X24.

I’m undecided if I want to mount it flush with the wall and have a relatively small fish room or if I turn it into a pinsula and have a small sitting area in the space I’d be using.

If I go the pensiula route, how much space is required in between holes?

Would I be able to use the 18 synergy overflow and still have room to drill another two holes for return lines?

I’m thinking as long as I have the returns dropped a tad below the overflow I’d be OK but since this would be my first time drilling a tank I was looking for insight.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum space between glass edges is 1 hole diameter, preferably 1.5 diameters, so if your hole is 2 inches in diameter, the edge of the hole should be at least 2-3” from the top or corner edge of the tank, or from the edge of the closest hole. You could probably fit a hole on either side of your 18” overflow, depending on what size it is, but it would be tight.

One thing to consider with a peninsula tank is that having the weir at the end decreases your surface skimming and also means it’s more difficult to circulate the water from the far end back to the overflow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back