Tank drilling ?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled a number of tanks over the years and am pretty handy overall, with that said, roughly 2 years ago I dusted off my 130 gallon which sat for the better part of 25 plus years in my basement dry, now two years in the tank is going pretty well. I opted not to drill it because quite frankly I wasn't sure the tank would hold up after so many years in my basement.
Now my question is, being that the tank is up and running would you drill it without emptying it.
I am tired of the overflow box which heavily depends on a small pump to insure air doesn't build up in it and stops the siphon. I have actually caught the tank twice when the pump was clogged and about to fail and I want to preempt a minor disaster.
What are your guys feelings on drilling a tank with a Reef in it lol
Comments and experiences welcomed!!!

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of things to consider there, I can see where you could lower the water level of the tank duck tape the inside of the tank to keep glass shards out of the tank, but then how do you keep the glass cool and lubricated while you are drilling? I know where there is a will there is a way, but I am assuming that you have the tank set up in a location where it would be ideal not to get the floor wet, plus there is the consideration of having enough access to the area of the tank that you would like to drill.
I would also want a serious contingency plan ready to go in case the worst happen.
I am sure there are some peeps out there that have done this while the tank is holding water, however, I am just not sure risk is worth the reward.

I actually thought about abandoning my corner overflows because I hate them and drilling the tank with some ghost overflows, but for now I will leave it alone.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would drain the tank empty if you absolutely need it drilled . What Freddy said makes a lot of sense .

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of things to consider there, I can see where you could lower the water level of the tank duck tape the inside of the tank to keep glass shards out of the tank, but then how do you keep the glass cool and lubricated while you are drilling? I know where there is a will there is a way, but I am assuming that you have the tank set up in a location where it would be ideal not to get the floor wet, plus there is the consideration of having enough access to the area of the tank that you would like to drill.
I would also want a serious contingency plan ready to go in case the worst happen.
I am sure there are some peeps out there that have done this while the tank is holding water, however, I am just not sure risk is worth the reward.

I actually thought about abandoning my corner overflows because I hate them and drilling the tank with some ghost overflows, but for now I will leave it alone.
Regarding the accessibility and the floor, those are no problems, the tank is in my basement and I have several feet behind the tank. Cooling wouldn't be a problem either, I would run a small pump to flow water down onto the drill continuously. I would make a wooden jig and use clamps to hold it and a wet vac to pull most of the shards of cut glass.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back