Tank dying off

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
268840CF-78E5-443E-A741-4BC44D9B1FD9.jpeg

Does anyone know what these white spots are on this crab? This is the second crab that has them. The other one was covered and is now missing (presumed dead as I see another crab now living in his shell). I only had one fish (watchman gobie) in the tank and he died suddenly a few days ago. My levels had been fine until this all started and now I have low levels of ammonia (<0.15) and nitrites (0.1). I’ve been doing water changes to try to get it down but it’s not really moving. I guess my questions are 1. Is this a parasite killing my crabs? And 2. Why are my levels suddenly up when they’ve been stable?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
268840CF-78E5-443E-A741-4BC44D9B1FD9.jpeg

Does anyone know what these white spots are on this crab? This is the second crab that has them. The other one was covered and is now missing (presumed dead as I see another crab now living in his shell). I only had one fish (watchman gobie) in the tank and he died suddenly a few days ago. My levels had been fine until this all started and now I have low levels of ammonia (<0.15) and nitrites (0.1). I’ve been doing water changes to try to get it down but it’s not really moving. I guess my questions are 1. Is this a parasite killing my crabs? And 2. Why are my levels suddenly up when they’ve been stable?
sounds like the tank wasn't fully cycled.

Tank age? do you use RODI or tapwater? do you have an ATO? Do you have proper aquarium lighting?

OP
OP
K

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank since December. I cycled without fish and did see the levels spike and drop and I was pretty confident had cycled then but am now second guessing everything so who knows. I use nutrisea water and top off with distilled. I don’t know what ATO means and I don’t have any lighting yet because I haven’t gotten to the point where I feel my tank is stable enough for corals.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank since December. I cycled without fish and did see the levels spike and drop and I was pretty confident had cycled then but am now second guessing everything so who knows. I use nutrisea water and top off with distilled. I don’t know what ATO means and I don’t have any lighting yet because I haven’t gotten to the point where I feel my tank is stable enough for corals.
an ATO is an auto top off. It keeps salinity from changing by automatically distilled/RODI adding water as it evaporates.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is auto top off - for adding water to system. I have been adding water by hand for years.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mix your salt with? tap water?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about them. WHen your crab molts they'll stay witht he old molt and won't transfer to the new exoskeleton. To reiterate @SlugSnorter comment your tank still looks pretty new. You definitely need to add lighting to establish the ecosystem beneficial for corals and I'd add sonme easy corals also like ushrooms or zoas. Here's an article on establishing healthy micribiomes and a couple links explaining the roles of microbiomes in coral health or disease and a couple additional links you may find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about them. WHen your crab molts they'll stay witht he old molt and won't transfer to the new exoskeleton. To reiterate @SlugSnorter your tank still looks pretty new. You definitely need to add lighting to establish the ecosystem beneficial for corals and I'd add sonme easy corals also like ushrooms or zoas. Here's an article on establishing healthy micribiomes and a couple links explaining the roles of microbiomes in coral health or disease and a couple additional links you may find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

BActeria and Sponges

I'd wait on the corals. Uglies with a dry rock tank will prob really mess with them

OP
OP
K

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about them. WHen your crab molts they'll stay witht he old molt and won't transfer to the new exoskeleton. To reiterate @SlugSnorter comment your tank still looks pretty new. You definitely need to add lighting to establish the ecosystem beneficial for corals and I'd add sonme easy corals also like ushrooms or zoas. Here's an article on establishing healthy micribiomes and a couple links explaining the roles of microbiomes in coral health or disease and a couple additional links you may find informative:

BActeria and Sponges

Thanks. I will def look at all of this. Now that I have no fish should I try to re-cycle my tank or something? Is that something I can do? I really want fish and coral but I don’t want to add more just for them to die

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait on the corals. Uglies with a dry rock tank will prob really mess with them

There are certainly a host of corals I wouldn't add to a new tank but corals are influencing the microbiomes (aurabiomes) in the water around them. Corals are needed to help establish beneficial microbiomes.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are certainly a host of corals I wouldn't add to a new tank but corals are influencing the microbiomes (aurabiomes) in the water around them. Corals are needed to help establish beneficial microbiomes.
yes, but I would still say to wait till the worst of the uglies are over.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will def look at all of this. Now that I have no fish should I try to re-cycle my tank or something? Is that something I can do? I really want fish and coral but I don’t want to add more just for them to die

If you haven't set one up I would encourage you to set up a quarantine tank, personally I just use UV sterilizors and some established rock in my quarantine tanks.

You've esatblished the basicc nitrogen cycle so there's no need to try to cycle your system again. I would add some quality maricultured live rocj as outlined in the article by Aquabiomics. Add some fish, clowns are a good choice, to provide nitrogen and phosphorus for corals and add some easy corals to help promote the microbial stuff they prefer. And be patient.

OP
OP
K

kryan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't set one up I would encourage you to set up a quarantine tank, personally I just use UV sterilizors and some established rock in my quarantine tanks.

You've esatblished the basicc nitrogen cycle so there's no need to try to cycle your system again. I would add some quality maricultured live rocj as outlined in the article by Aquabiomics. Add some fish, clowns are a good choice, to provide nitrogen and phosphorus for corals and add some easy corals to help promote the microbial stuff they prefer. And be patient.
Thank you so much. I would love start with a clown and some easy corals

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back