OP
Thomas Jedlicka

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that not very low ?

I work in ppt and the conversion would be around 26-27ppt as opposed to a normal target of 35 or 1.0264 sg

I would try bringing the salinity up slowly and see if that helps them out.
I have it lower because it is harder for parasites to survive. my hydrometer says 1.020 is about 20 ppt I'm pretty sure

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it lower because it is harder for parasites to survive. my hydrometer says 1.020 is about 20 ppt I'm pretty sure
It’s also harder for fish to survive as your finding, so I would slowly raise the salinity.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a expert on Fish Problems, but I am certain that when I get fish from my LFS they also run their tank at low salinity to keep Parasites down. I've tested the water fish came home in, and it was around 1.019 so I think these fish are fine if they were aclimated to lower Salinity Treament (Hyposalinity)

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php#:~:text=Treatment Option 4 - Hyposalinity:,reported to kill the parasite.

Raising salinity quickly would be worse at this point. Maybe gradually if really needed.

No idea what's going on. Wish I could help. Hope they get better.

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s also harder for fish to survive as your finding, so I would slowly raise the salinity.

1.020 isn't going to harm fish. A lot of fish stores keep it lower than that. But it's probably a combination of that, the small crammed tank, the high temperature. Its all equalling what we're seeing. The fish are stressed. Sick. Not doing well as a result of everything combined.

OP
OP
Thomas Jedlicka

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.020 isn't going to harm fish. A lot of fish stores keep it lower than that. But it's probably a combination of that, the small crammed tank, the high temperature. Its all equalling what we're seeing. The fish are stressed. Sick. Not doing well as a result of everything combined.
Would you say parasites? Because I don’t know what to do

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say parasites? Because I don’t know what to do
Till you get better advice, get as much extra oxygen into the Tank as you can, aeration and breaking the water surface with agitation with a Powerhead. If they are breathing hard, that is one clue. If they can't breathe for disease reasons that's a toally seprate issue that can't be treated till you have a diagnosis of what to treat.

Maybe Lower the temp slowly since bit low is better than too high.

And keep checking first that Ammonia is not toxic Level. Nitrite next.
Make sure your test kits are good, and you are using correctly.
If either is too high, water changes needed to bring down to safe levels. Fish will recover fairly quickly if you fix things (in time). *** I THINK that In the Case of High Ammonia then the Aeration isn't a good thing ***

A guy that does QT professionally told me that when Amonia levels get bad, and you add CO2 or Oxygen it turn to a super toxic Amonia Somthing (I think Amonia Hydroxide) that can kill fish fast.

Nitrates I don't think matter AT ALL. I have tank with Healthy Fish with Nitrate at 50++

Last edited:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you confirmed ammonia reading with another test? What are the copper levels in QT? What test?
I disagree that temperature or salinity would be doing this unless is was a very quick change. I would suggest an illness or hidden ammonia.

Edit: do you calibrate your salinity checker with a tested calibration fluid?

OP
OP
Thomas Jedlicka

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you confirmed ammonia reading with another test? What are the copper levels in QT? What test?
I disagree that temperature or salinity would be doing this unless is was a very quick change. I would suggest an illness or hidden ammonia.

Edit: do you calibrate your salinity checker with a tested calibration fluid?
I do not have a multi meter and am currently doing an ammonia test. I suspect illness but I have no idea which one. I don’t want to treat for the wrong one and hurt the fish even more.

Edit: I use the plastic hydrometer with the needle I though you didn’t need calibration fluid.

OP
OP
Thomas Jedlicka

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a multi meter and am currently doing an ammonia test. I suspect illness but I have no idea which one. I don’t want to treat for the wrong one and hurt the fish even more.

Edit: I use the plastic hydrometer with the needle I though you didn’t need calibration fluid.

Edit 2: ammonia read .25 which was kind of out of nowhere. This morning my black spot tang died :( I still suspect parasite I just don’t know what to treat. Should I run prazi or copper?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those plastic hydrometers are very inaccurate. Get a refractometer, they're better.

Aerate that tank as much as possible. Copper is a good all-rounder, but you need to look up if any of your fish species are particularly sensitive to it- some are, and I don't know which ones, so I can't advise you on that.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO non expert at all You might've caused an ammonia spike by increasing that bioload so quick, that literally might've been your only mistake...

Otherwise there was a parasite living in your DT you weren't aware of.

I'd get the fish abck into QT since they were happy there, and start medicating.

OP
OP
Thomas Jedlicka

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO non expert at all You might've caused an ammonia spike by increasing that bioload so quick, that literally might've been your only mistake...

Otherwise there was a parasite living in your DT you weren't aware of.

I'd get the fish abck into QT since they were happy there, and start medicating.
I freshwater dipped the more expensive fish and put them in my fowlr. Did a large water change temp seems to be better

OP
OP
Thomas Jedlicka

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those plastic hydrometers are very inaccurate. Get a refractometer, they're better.

Aerate that tank as much as possible. Copper is a good all-rounder, but you need to look up if any of your fish species are particularly sensitive to it- some are, and I don't know which ones, so I can't advise you on that.
I pulled all of my wrasses out and put them in their own tank I have a second QT. I put them together because I know they are very sensitive

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back