Tank from Glass-Cages plus Vortech?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ddr_phish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ddr_phish

Coral Collector
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
498
Reaction score
7
Location
Splendora, Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm in the process of deciding where exactly I want to take my next upgrade thatll be happening within the next two months. I'm looking at the tanks on Glass Cages around 70-90 gallons that are 48" long and pretty wide. I'd like to use a single Vortech MP40w to create the flow for this tank, however I've read iffy things about the silicone job on GC tanks and do not want the inhabitants of my tank to end up all over the floor of my new house. I've also done a bit of research on RC and saw many people speaking highly of GC while others have a distaste for them. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion of me using a MP40 with a 48" long tank from Glass Cages? Thanks much yall.
 
You wouldn't be concerned about the surge from the Vortech versus silicone on a long tank?

I'm wondering if I should go ahead with a brace ontop of the tank just in case...
 
I have a single MP40w in my 90 and it works great! However as the colonies have gotten larger, I am thinking I may add another one.
 
I have a eurobraced GC 115g tank. Of all the issues I've read about for GC tanks, too little silicone is not one of them ;) My vortech AND hammerhead closed loop work just fine on my tank. :D
 
Awesome, I figured that depending on how I do my rockwork and place my MP40 that I might need a second unit. Did your tank come from Glass Cages? Thats the main thing I'm worried about, people saying that their tank from them busted, or has a leak, while others haven't had the slightest problem from them. I'm really in love with their prices :tongue:
 
I have a eurobraced GC 115g tank. Of all the issues I've read about for GC tanks, too little silicone is not one of them ;) My vortech AND hammerhead closed loop work just fine on my tank. :D

LoL thanks man, I think I may go ahead with some sort of brace on the top, JUST IN CASE. :bigsmile:
 
I have had a GC 280 gallon tank (72"x36"x24") for almost 2 years now. I'll admit that their silicone work is not the prettiest you will see but I have had no problems (knock on wood:)) with the tank. I also have a GC 50 gallon (48"x18"x12")tank for SPS corals and just recently purchased a GC rimless 48"x24"x8" frag tank as well. So far . . . so good:)

Robin
 
I am likely going GC unless a crazy deal comes up otherwise. I have seen quite a bit of good about them for me to want to get them after all my research.
 
I really have not heard about Glass Cages tanks breaking from poor silicone jobs ... what you typically hear is they just make a mess on the tank edges with the silicone. You will need to spend some time cleaning up stray globs of silicone and making nice edges of it is all I hear about.
 
Oh ok, maybe I misinterpreted what I read about them :squigglemouth: lol


Here's another question, I'd like to go with either the 700gph or 1500gph overflow from Glass-Holes, is there a minimum or maximum size for the return bulkhead size? I see that the bulkheads for the overflows are 1.5" but on the returns they sell the bulkheads are 3/4inch or smaller, is that a problem?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new