Tank gallon size

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sorry if this is a numb question, but when you are doing the math for dosing, do you count the sump size as part of the overall tank size? I would assume so, but don’t know. Also, how do you determine the gallons in the sump if you don’t have the information available.
thank you

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water volume is what i go with. so if i have a 55 gal tank and a 20 gal sump that is 75 gal, but rock, sand, and not a full sump lower that number.

OP
OP
T

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water volume is what i go with. so if i have a 55 gal tank and a 20 gal sump that is 75 gal, but rock, sand, and not a full sump lower that number.
Ahh! I got it. There is really no way to determine the water volume displaced by the sand and rocks, if I had a 350 gal tank and a 100 gal sump I would guess with about 50 percent rock etc, net the rocks we are best to dose aminos etc at the 350 gal figure?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a way to calculate this, and it requires you to add RODI water to your system to dilute the salinity. Basically you measure your starting salinity, say 35ppt, then add RODI to change that number to obtain the end result. You plug those into this calculator and it calculates your overall system volume. The last line is important: "keep in mind that too large of a drop in salinity will have a detrimental effect on your tank inhabitants"

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 4.55.21 PM.png

OP
OP
T

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a way to calculate this, and it requires you to add RODI water to your system to dilute the salinity. Basically you measure your starting salinity, say 35ppt, then add RODI to change that number to obtain the end result. You plug those into this calculator and it calculates your overall system volume. The last line is important: "keep in mind that too large of a drop in salinity will have a detrimental effect on your tank inhabitants"

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 4.55.21 PM.png
Wow, that’s so helpful. Thank you. Do you want to lower it by a certain amount? In the example starting point, lowering from 35 to say 33 is enough?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR answer: In your example, dose your additive to a level below what you suspect the volume is to be safe. Raise dosage over time if you can measure the additive based on testing (ICP or other).

Longer answer: If it were me, I would do my best to protect the health of my system and avoid as much of a change as possible. If you have a digital salinity pen, this would likely be the best method. Take a base measurement, then add enough RODI to decrease salinity that can be measured. So if the salinity pen measures starting salinity at 35ppt, add enough RODI until the pen reads 34.5ppt. Plug those values into the calculator and the approximate volume is shown. I entered this example below, 35ppt starting, 34.5ppt after adding RODI, 2 gallons of RODI, pen measures in 0.1 units of measure. The calculation is that this is a 138 gallon system.

As the tool states in the fine print, a larger water sample is better to ensure an accurate calculation. But who is going to add that much RODI and risk the health of their system? Not me!

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 6.33.49 PM.png

OP
OP
T

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR answer: In your example, dose your additive to a level below what you suspect the volume is to be safe. Raise dosage over time if you can measure the additive based on testing (ICP or other).

Longer answer: If it were me, I would do my best to protect the health of my system and avoid as much of a change as possible. If you have a digital salinity pen, this would likely be the best method. Take a base measurement, then add enough RODI to decrease salinity that can be measured. So if the salinity pen measures starting salinity at 35ppt, add enough RODI until the pen reads 34.5ppt. Plug those values into the calculator and the approximate volume is shown. I entered this example below, 35ppt starting, 34.5ppt after adding RODI, 2 gallons of RODI, pen measures in 0.1 units of measure. The calculation is that this is a 138 gallon system.

As the tool states in the fine print, a larger water sample is better to ensure an accurate calculation. But who is going to add that much RODI and risk the health of their system? Not me!

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 6.33.49 PM.png
Agree. Thanks for the input. Extremely helpful. I am trying to figure values for supplement dosing, so don’t need to be perfect, just closer than estimating.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back