Tank Hole!!!

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up getting an OM Squirt for my tank. I talked to Paul at OM on how I could combine 2 of the returns on the OM for my tank. However, as I normally do I was thinking its not too late to add a hole yet. However the way I have my tank drilled I don't know if it would be feasible or not. I have one hole on each side of the tank towards the top and the one hole half way down in the middle. Anyone think of where I could add just one more that would make any sense? Here is a pic of the way it is setup now.

Picturesjuly2009082.jpg

Eric

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking I could just add one more hole on each side and make the top two and the bottom two corners run off of the OM and the one in the middle just always on via the return. Or would that be counter productive?

Eric

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My theory when I drilled an figured out mine was the more random the better. If you make 2 more holes and use the lock line then you can direct it where needed to the effect you desire. Another thought it two more towards the center more.

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just have the last return come "over the top"? Or maybe the sump return line (s).

I wouldn't be too anxious to have the sump return pump go to the bottom of the tank. You'd need some way of creating a siphon break much higher up or the entire tank would drain back to the sump if the power goes off or the pump fails.

If you were to add just 1 more hole, I'd put it middle in the center. You could have it directed left and change the bottom return to direct only right.

Allen

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random flow is good but it's better if you can direct your flow in a pattern to let it do some work for you. Random flow gets detritus and waste suspended but that's about it. Unless you have a major flow rate to your sump/filtration the waste will just follow the random flow around the tank (eventually finding a crevice in the rockwork or a small area that gets little flow). Directing flow so that it suspends waste material then flushes it towards the overflow is much more effective at actually getting the garbage out of the tank to be filtered out. It's a misconception that "random flow" is ideal. Random flow is simply flow in any direction without a purpose. Most corals respond best to high "indirect" flow. Most confuse random flow with indirect flow. Indirect flow can be achieved with high velocity and also allows you to direct a flow pattern to get detritus flowing towards your overflow. Indirect flow is high water movement without pointing the flow directly at the corals.

Just my thoughts after the many hours of discussion with Paul from oceans motions.

Jeremy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back