Tank hovering at 80.2-80.6 even after going topless

MDeVito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Recently went topless on my biocube because I love Kessil lights and was concerned about temp. Long story short, the tank heater is an Eheim Jager for 26-40 gallons that is set to 78F. The tank with the over on hovered at 80.2-80.6, recently removed the cover and placed a Kessil a160we for lighting and the temp on the tank didn't change. The room temp is usually anywhere from 71-73. Any ideas? Could it be the stock biocube return pump? That's my only guess.
Thanks for reading

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could just be the heater. They don't always run exactly what the thermostat says. If you want to run a lower temp turn the heater down a touch until you get where you want to be.

OP
OP
MDeVito

MDeVito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not calibrate the heater, I'll have to give lowering the desired temp. a shot. Will update.

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to check is your return pump. I had one that started getting warm and raising the temp on my 240. Switched to a DC return pump and tanks back to normal.

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to check is your return pump. I had one that started getting warm and raising the temp on my 240. Switched to a DC return pump and tanks back to normal.

+1 on the return pump. I also had this happen recently and switched to a DC pump.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experienced the exact issues you are going through when I had my 29 gallon BioCube. To clear up all the headaches, I just purchased a Apex controller. Believe me, that was one of the best investments I made.

With a controller, you have the capability to turn the heater off/on when your desired temperature is reached. You can also automatically turn your Kessil light off/on whenever you want.

Ever since I purchased my controller, I no longer have to worry if my temps will be too hot or too cold. Also, you can monitor all that info online.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not calibrate the heater, I'll have to give lowering the desired temp. a shot. Will update.

Simply calibrate the heater....that's your problem. It's easy to do.

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a Apex and yes it will shut the lights and heater off, but if is a faulty pump causing the problem. That will not help. I would double check all bases just to be safe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back