Tank lid light penetration + oily surface

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hellos fellow reefers,

I have 6 week old rimmed tank 20 G topped with 16 G water. I would like to know if covering the tank using an acrylic lid to protect from aerosol chemicals and oils. I’d like to cut out space for the hang on filter and light. does full spectrum light penetrate acrylic or glass? . I prefer not cutting out a space for the light but will if light won’t penetrate acrylic (or glass if I decide to use). The light I purchased is the Fluval Nano marine. I have corals on my tank and 2 clownfish.

I’m also getting an oily buildup at the surface of the water I’m assuming it’s from the tank being in the kitchen area. Also, when I top off with RO the splash that enters the tank creates a wavy oily motion which disappears in under 5 seconds. Not sure if RO is like this or if it’s the oily substance at the surface of the water breaking. Thus, I’d like to seal the top as much as I can. Also, how many holes or space should I leave for air.

Your feedback is appreciated!

6FF1F597-7AAB-46B7-AB26-9D65EC6A1143.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oily surface is normal. My HoB filter has a surface skimmer to take care of it. Anyone with a sump won't have that issue either.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oily surface is normal. My HoB filter has a surface skimmer to take care of it. Anyone with a sump won't have that issue either.
Thanks for the swift reply! Thought it might be kitchen oil in the air from all the heavy Mediterranean cooking.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the kind of HOB filter you have, you may be able to get something like this to handle surface film
That’s actually very neat! Fits my Fluval perfect! Thank you! Would I keep this on consistently? What about lower tank water needed to be filtered?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back