Tank lids

  • Thread starter Thread starter Striike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Striike

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
260
Reaction score
131
Location
Chattanooga
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More questions:bigsmile:

For those that didn't see my introduction, I am building my stand that houses my aquarium. I'm going to have a canopy with the back open for all my pipes, wires to go, plus prevent heat build up from the lights. My tank and top have no 'sealed' lid. This, of course, is severely evaporating my water. I'm probably adding ~1 gallon per day. Which, as you all know, is a pain to keep filled. Its not a big deal now, but I have some worry about keeping my salinity stable once I start putting livestock in. I am using an overflow box which moves 800g per hour through it, creating a massive surge of bubbles in my sump.

Now that I've told you guys about my tank, my thought was putting glass or acrylic lids on both my tank and my sump to alleviate some of the evaporation. I talked with a lfs, and they said the overflow box would introduce enough oxygen mixture into the tank, so doing this would be fine, but I wanted to get a second opinion, or three. My lights are fluorescent, so I'm not worried about heat. Will the overflow box introduce enough oxygen in my tank so I can keep lids on both my tank and sump?
 
Another thought. Where do you guys get acrylic? I'm looking for about 3/8" or so. Home Depot wants $45 for a small sheet, I'd need 2-3 of those, that's a little more than I want to spend.
 
1) you better be ready to clean the lids very often or it will affect the lighting
2) Fluorescent lamps heat the tank also. Heat will be an issue IMO

Just set up an ATO to replace the water.. :bigsmile:
 
Hm, interesting concept. The reason I wanted a lid on the sump was because of the 'sea spray' (can't think of a better term) that results from all the bubbles rising to the surface after the water drains into the sump. I can literally scrape a layer of salt off the inside of my cabinet. Wood (even finished) + salt = bad. However, since I'm re-designing my sump anyway, maybe I can just lower the water level in the sump. Sure I'd lose some volume, but only 5 or so gallons. Watcha guys think?
 
Hm, interesting concept. The reason I wanted a lid on the sump was because of the 'sea spray' (can't think of a better term) that results from all the bubbles rising to the surface after the water drains into the sump. I can literally scrape a layer of salt off the inside of my cabinet. Wood (even finished) + salt = bad. However, since I'm re-designing my sump anyway, maybe I can just lower the water level in the sump. Sure I'd lose some volume, but only 5 or so gallons. Watcha guys think?


I know what you mean and I have the same issue in my cabinet but just down the side of the sump where the overflow enters. I don't get any on the inside of the cabinet. That is why many of the custom made acrylic sumps have a lip on them. The lower level might do the trick. In the summer I put a little fan inside blowing across the water for evaporative cooling. You could also paint the inside of the cabinet with some marine paint.
 
You can put a cover over the sump just put legs on it to let it sit off the sump alittle to vent. To get acrylic local try technology sales out by amnicola hwy and 153. they will cut whatever you want to your demintions. I just got a piece of 3/8 cut last week. 30x18 for $35. it isnt cheap but they cut it for you and they have it instock.
Dont use acrylic to cover the tank as it will melt under halides or hot lighting. and I wouldnt cover the tank anyway, you need the oxygen exchange.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new