Tank lighting suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maximizer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Maximizer

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2015
Messages
865
Reaction score
396
What state or country do you live in
Wyoming
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some suggestions on budget friendly lighting choices for a 36x18x20 tank. I plan of keeping mostly LPS with some softies. SPS is a necessity yet. Any help is appreciated
 
Any lighting with enough intensity will work. From a dollar standpoint the chinese black boxes will get the job done and offer more features than t-5's or mh. As with any type of lighting you're going to find the majority of people are successful and yet there will always be some who totally fail with any lighting. As important as lighting is it's no more important than good water quality and stability. Choose your lighting by which features are most important to you.
 
I have been very happy with the Mars Aqua I purchased off Ebay for $78. I just looked it up HERE, and it appears the price has gone up a couple bucks, but still a steal at $83.....with free shipping.
 
I don't have a preference between LED or T5. This will be my first reef tank. Its currently a FOWLR but slowly being converted over. With this being my first reef i don't want to ultimately spend a ton of money on lighting until i have some experience. If what i need to properly light this tank is on the more expensive side then i will save and get what i need but if i can light this tank and grow LPS/softies at a reasonable price, I would rather go that route. For my size of tank i would probably need atleast 2 of the Mars Aqua lights right?
 
You could probably get away with the 165w with softies and LPS....but to be on the safe side, pick up the 300W model and now you could grow everything....with it most likely turned down a bit. HERE's the 300w model.
 
What about a Galaxyhydro Led 55x3w Dimmable 165w Full Spectrum LED Aquarium or an aquatic life t5ho 36" 4 bulb.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new