Tank mate with a Puffer.

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up a new tank. I have always really wanted a puffer but I know tank mates can be difficult for them. Please advice what puffer is more chill and what other types if angles and such can be added with them. It is a 150gallon.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcupine Puffers are one of the most relaxed and personable puffers in my opinion. They will mix well with most angels if introduced at the same time as both puffers and angels can be territorial. Dwarf Angels seem to be the most territorial like the flame angels, they are cute but grow up to be jerks! Lol

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the dogface puffer, I've had one in a few of my tanks and they are a crack up. I've never met a porcupine that wasn't a nipper, especially in your size tank, that's likely why you will see many recommendations for larger tanks, I see them returned to the lfs all the time because of aggression. Any of the other puffers with the exception of the small Canthigaster puffers will get too large for your tank. I have my current yellow belly dogface with angels and even a lion with no problems, I;ve never had a problem with nipping or aggression with any of them.

Robert Welcome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the dogface puffer, I've had one in a few of my tanks and they are a crack up. I've never met a porcupine that wasn't a nipper, especially in your size tank, that's likely why you will see many recommendations for larger tanks, I see them returned to the lfs all the time because of aggression. Any of the other puffers with the exception of the small Canthigaster puffers will get too large for your tank. I have my current yellow belly dogface with angels and even a lion with no problems, I;ve never had a problem with nipping or aggression with any of them.
I have a 5" dog face and a 16" show puffer in with triggers and angles,all large and never had a issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back