Tank Moving

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a couple questions to make sure I do this right. I'm going to be taking my work tank home this weekend, its to much up keep to have to haul 5-10 gallons of water to work every week for water changes and ATO fill up. I have a 20 gallon AIO cube and about 5 5 gallon buckets buckets to transport everything. I think I should Be able to get all my rock/coral into 2 of the buckets and the fish/inverts in the other 2.

I did buy a new bag of sand, I have about a 2-3" sand bed, can I leave the sand in while moving the tank? I dont want to mess around with having to clean it and would like to keep the bactia in the existing sand if possible.

I guess my questions are:
1. New sand needed?
2. Move tank with sand still in it?
3. Do I need to re-cycle?
4. Do I need to get battery powered aerators for maybe an hour in the bucket?

Thanks

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. New sand needed?
1. Yes on the new sand.
2. move them separated.
3. No, make sure you run some carbon to stop an ammonia spike if you have some die off.
4. Yes, you are going to need to have water movement and I would suggest also getting a battery power air pump with an air stone to add the optimal amount of oxygen.

I always used a cooler to move life stock in, the cooler keeps the temperature steady.

I have move to many times :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a couple questions to make sure I do this right. I'm going to be taking my work tank home this weekend, its to much up keep to have to haul 5-10 gallons of water to work every week for water changes and ATO fill up. I have a 20 gallon AIO cube and about 5 5 gallon buckets buckets to transport everything. I think I should Be able to get all my rock/coral into 2 of the buckets and the fish/inverts in the other 2.

I did buy a new bag of sand, I have about a 2-3" sand bed, can I leave the sand in while moving the tank? I dont want to mess around with having to clean it and would like to keep the bactia in the existing sand if possible.

1. New sand needed?

Thanks
Hi Thomas - I've come close to this and here's what worked for me. I was migrating things from my smaller tanks downstairs to a brand new large tank upstairs.

Because it was a new tank, i went with new sand and did a whole cycle, also helped to not be in a rush too!

I would say in your case, think of it like a huge water change. From what i read, all you're doing is taking stuff out to move the tank home, then putting the items back in. I would probably just take the sand with you (siphon the detritus out), as far as leaving it in the tank and moving the tank, it will just make it heavier, but do what works for you. Ya i would say keep the buckets circulating some how and the temperature stable. Good luck!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna keep your current sand you can.. but! You gotta rinse it very well with a hose and keep flushing the bucket till it’s crystal clear water.. it will kill off bacteria good and bad but your rocks are what count.. sand beds are almost just for looks unless it’s deep..

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna keep your current sand you can.. but! You gotta rinse it very well with a hose and keep flushing the bucket till it’s crystal clear water.. it will kill off bacteria good and bad but your rocks are what count.. sand beds are almost just for looks unless it’s deep..
I was just hoping to keep it for my nassarius snails, I have a couple of the big ones and about 50 of the small ones. I'll just feed the tank before I tear it down and scoop up as much as I can. I'll just use my spare bag of sand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back