Tank on cement basement floor?

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to build my stand for the basement tank. Should I put something waterproof down beneath it, like linoleum? The sump and ATO, etc will be on the floor below the tank.

I installed a sink and have been working with cycling my rock, etc so there's been a little water hitting the floor from time to time and it doesn't seem to pose a problem. Just wondering if it is a long-term consideration.

Also, once the stand is built, I understand that some folks put down a rubber mat of sorts between the stand and tank. Yes, no? If so, what kind?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup
Concrete sealer will help keep the cement from soaking up water and avoid a stink,
Clean it first, let dry, then a coat or two. It won’t completely seal the cement, it will still be able to breathe, which is a good thing

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t think of the name of the Tile Sealer, it’s 511. Lowe’s has it, also there is an anti-slip Formula, for if your Basement Floor is Glass smooth. It will work fine on Concrete Floors. I wouldn’t wet the floor before putting it on, the concrete may take weeks, to dry, as it will be colder than the air. Just Vacuum and go.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t think of the name of the Tile Sealer, it’s 511. Lowe’s has it, also there is an anti-slip Formula, for if your Basement Floor is Glass smooth. It will work fine on Concrete Floors. I wouldn’t wet the floor before putting it on, the concrete may take weeks, to dry, as it will be colder than the air. Just Vacuum and go.
Not looking to disagree and without question any sealer is way better than no sealer. 511 is more suited for grout. If radon is an issue would go probably with radon seal brand. For salty conditions siloxa trek 8 would be my top pick.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put down one thin coat of Thompson's Clear Multi-Surface Water Proofer which is rated for cement. Nine days later and I still have three fans on it... it's still tacky. What a mistake.

At this point I think the tackiness will only go away by walking on it for a few years.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put down one thin coat of Thompson's Clear Multi-Surface Water Proofer which is rated for cement. Nine days later and I still have three fans on it... it's still tacky. What a mistake.

At this point I think the tackiness will only go away by walking on it for a few years.
Sorry to hear that. Yeah, that sealer better suited for wood. Wish you would have asked about it before using it…
If you didn’t wipe it dry within a few minutes of applying, yeah it will probably stay tacky until enough dirt and dust sticks to it

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to build my stand for the basement tank. Should I put something waterproof down beneath it, like linoleum? The sump and ATO, etc will be on the floor below the tank.

I installed a sink and have been working with cycling my rock, etc so there's been a little water hitting the floor from time to time and it doesn't seem to pose a problem. Just wondering if it is a long-term consideration.

Also, once the stand is built, I understand that some folks put down a rubber mat of sorts between the stand and tank. Yes, no? If so, what kind?
You don't have to go with BRS, but something is recommended.

Foam Tank Mat - Mr. Aqua - Bulk Reef Supply

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your sump/ATO acylic/plastic or glass? With glass I would put some type of barrier between the tank (even rimmed) and the concrete.

Even with an acylic or plastic sump/ATO I'd still lay something down so they weren't directly on the concrete. Foam pads are cheap and provide some level of insulation depending on how thick you go.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Yeah, that sealer better suited for wood. Wish you would have asked about it before using it…
If you didn’t wipe it dry within a few minutes of applying, yeah it will probably stay tacky until enough dirt and dust sticks to it
It was a thin coat laid down with a sprayer, with an unsprayed area between my stripes. Then I took a paint roller to spread it around. There was literally nothing to mop up, per se. I would not have guessed this would be the result.

Hopefully it won't take too long to right itself.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your sump/ATO acylic/plastic or glass? With glass I would put some type of barrier between the tank (even rimmed) and the concrete.

Even with an acylic or plastic sump/ATO I'd still lay something down so they weren't directly on the concrete. Foam pads are cheap and provide some level of insulation depending on how thick you go.
For the sump I'm putting down Dri-Dek tiles so spills can evaporate.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would try to raise the sump, ato, etc up off the floor as high as it is practical to. Working on something that is on the floor is less and less fun as more and more years go by.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a thin coat laid down with a sprayer, with an unsprayed area between my stripes. Then I took a paint roller to spread it around. There was literally nothing to mop up, per se. I would not have guessed this would be the result.

Hopefully it won't take too long to right itself.
Ugh. If you’re in penn state as your sig suggests I’m surprised you didn’t get radonseal recommended to you by salesperson, as I did above.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so after more than three weeks, here I am. I left fans (regular and carpet drying) on it for the first two, hoping it would completely dry the Thompsons. After it didn't, I purchased a fan specifically built to face down, an inch above the surface, that blows at very high speed. Nothing.

Then a friend suggested I try sanding it off. Palm sander was too small but seemed like it helped a bit, so I bumped up to my belt sander. But since it is not perfectly flat, it was really only polishing the upper edges, as minor as they are.

So I went chemical. I was afraid it would make the situation worse... but it is working very well. I poured mineral spirits over sections of the floor and scrubbed it in. Over that I poured Simple Green, a heavy duty degreaser, and scrubbed that in. Then to help lift it all away, I poured water (oh, the irony) over that and used my wet/dry vac to take it all up.

No more tackiness. &^%$ing finally.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm late here, but I think you guys are overthinking this.

I would have just put the stand right on the concrete.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back