Tank on wood floors (75 Gallon)

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I just got brand new wood floors and the Mrs. would have my head if they somehow got damaged with the new reef tank I'm setting up. It's a 75 gallon, anyone has something they use underneath it to help protect the wood from any potential water/salt damage that still looks nice? (I'll be moving that subwoofer, don't worry!)

Attachments

• IMG_20150618_1308387_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20150618_1308387_rewind.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 267

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gray Solid Surface Shower Pan Liner inside the stand to keep the water from reaching the floor under the stand, use 3m spray on adhesive to hold it on place. That works well inside stand but won't help if water spills on the floor and runs under the stand.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gray Solid Surface Shower Pan Liner inside the stand to keep the water from reaching the floor under the stand, use 3m spray on adhesive to hold it on place. That works well inside stand but won't help if water spills on the floor and runs under the stand.

OK, I looked this up and that is definitely doable! (Maybe a must for most of us out there?)

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. We have new hardwoods, but luckily we went with Mohawk's prefinished. I put a 200 gallon in the living room. We plan on selling in 5 years, so we will replace underneath the stand with the extra boards we have. I also spilled coral glue on them and had to either A. replace them or b. use acetone to clean it. I chose B and it did zero damage to the finish.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold by the foot a lowes and is about 30-40 mils thick and feels like rubber.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. We have new hardwoods, but luckily we went with Mohawk's prefinished. I put a 200 gallon in the living room. We plan on selling in 5 years, so we will replace underneath the stand with the extra boards we have. I also spilled coral glue on them and had to either A. replace them or b. use acetone to clean it. I chose B and it did zero damage to the finish.

I do have a box left over in the garage as well and I can definitely go down that route. I was hoping there might be some sort of tray as well that doesn't detract from the look of the tank.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a rem of lino down first I just loose laid it and bought some rubber trim for the cut edges. It stuck out about 18in,on three sides. just enough for standing on while cleaning the tank. And to set a 5gal. bucket on it for water changes.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a rem of lino down first I just loose laid it and bought some rubber trim for the cut edges. It stuck out about 18in,on three sides. just enough for standing on while cleaning the tank. And to set a 5gal. bucket on it for water changes.
OK, that is interesting... just so I'm clear that is something that went under your tank and was permanent as apposed to something that you laid out just while cleaning?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes semi perm.I cut a piece of vinyl flooring to loose lay over the hard wood floor then put the stand on that. You can pick a pattern that looks good with the hardwood. I used it for 5 years in my apartment and it did not hurt the hardwood underneath.

Last edited:

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drymate is what I used to have underneath my tank. Very absorbent with waterproof backing.

ReeferMark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pvc board to line my stand. This should help keep my wood floors dry.

Please excuse the poor caulking job...

Attachments

• 1434756434869.jpg
    1434756434869.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 177

fishboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely add some kind of fabric or towel or absorbing water towels to suck up the water so it doesn't spread throughout further

klondike4001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option a lot of people don't think about is take your stand to a bed liner shop for trucks and off road vehicles, a coat of Line-X will seal the stand and not only protect it from spills but humidity buildup and damage over time as well. I highly recommend it for steel stands as well, it's the only thing that will stand up to salt water over time where powder coating generally falls short.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back