So I'm going to set up my 40g breeder zoa dominant tank soon I bought:
T5s w/ 156w
Carbon reactor
I have an established refug
Hydro protein skimmer
4 jebao RW-4s
ATO system
RO/DI Unit

I have some dry rock from key largo coming in that I'm probably going to break up and do some cool aquascaping with. Live sand for the bottom.
My question is if I want to have maybe some monti's and some clams should I buy another light or would that be too much?

Also if you have anything else I should get for the tank let me know!!

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each system is different, I would start with the zoas. Check your water quality after the tank is cycled and maturing and see where you're at, correct accordingly. Wait until you have success with zoas and then introduce more complicated corals. You may need to introduce GFO or Carbon Dosing, again it all depends on the system. I think you're fine with the lamp you have. I run a similar lamp, 36 inch 156W HO T5 and I have all types of corals: sps, lps, and softies. Also, I have no reference on the skimmer you have, but thats a critical component in any system, if it under performs you may need to upgrade. With zoas you shouldn't need to dose, as long as you're doing frequent water changes, but with more complex corals you may need to. So, you might want to introduce a doser or just think about doing your dosing manually if you don't want to invest in a dosing system.

OP
OP
Shiggs

Shiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice!!!
I definatly thing that the established Refug I have for it will help it cycle alot faster and im saving one of the soxs to dip it in the tank once i get it started to put even more bacteria in the water. I ordered some Stability so that should help also.

http://www.hydor.com/eng/prodotti-tecnici/skimmers/slim-skim-skimmers.php

That is the skimmer I have.

http://aquatop.com/aquatop-media-reactor-mr-20.html

Thats the reactor i bought. I never really ran a reactor so i got bio pellets for it but you think i should run carbon?

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) That hydor slim skimmer is practically useless for a tank that size. Since you don't have a sump, I would get a good HOB (hang-on-back) skimmer for it. For your setup I think PSK-75H or the PSK-100H would be a great option. For a healthy tank, a good skimmer gives you the best ROI.

2) If you haven't run biopellets before, I would suggest skip it. Biopellets are for people who want to run ultra-low nutrient tanks. That's mainly good for SPS. Zoas don't like ULN, so biopellets will not be a good idea. Keep the aquatop reactor as a backup, in case later you want to run GFO. IMO I don't think you need that to begin with, especially if you get a good skimmer.

3) Carbon dosing is when you add vodka or vinegar (carbon source) to your tank daily. Its a way to keep your nitrates and phosphates down. I do it, and it works well for me. But again, I don't think you need to start with it. Start your tank and if you start seeing nutrient issues or algae issues, carbon dosing may be a good thing for you (instead of biopellets or GFO).

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I think you got a good selection of equipments to begin with. T5s are a great choice for lighting (you may need to adjust the height away from water since your tank is not too deep and you are keeping mostly zoas). The Jebao RW-4 is a great wavemaker. And i love the dimensions of the 40 breeder. Get a good skimmer and I think you should be golden.

OP
OP
Shiggs

Shiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will order a better skimmer. Do you think the PSK is better than Reef Octopus classic 100?
I will also order a dosing unit too.

OP
OP
Shiggs

Shiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also I have temporary 5-1/2 G tank for dips and quarantine.

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the PSK has a sicce pump. The Reef Octopus in-sump skimmers are great. But for an HOB i think the eshopps psk is better. You can get the PSK-100H for around $130 on amazon now. You can also look for used ones on R2R or in your local forums.

OP
OP
Shiggs

Shiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Hats what I'm working with you don't think it could fit next to my return pump?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both HOB and in sump Reef Octopus skimmers work excellent, no hate on eshopps though. I have a monster zoa/paly garden while running pellets so to say they won't do well is a folly, not saying you'll need pellets either. Each system is different, but as I stated before... correct accordingly. I added more equipment as my system became more complex over time due to me wanting more out of the system itself. Most decent skimmers will provide you with a footprint measurement, look for that and see what in sump skimmer will fit next to your return pump, my guess is not many. You might be better off getting a HOB skimmer that's big enough for your system versus getting a small enough in sump skimmer to fit in that space. You can always modify a HOB to hang in the sump. I say this because sometimes the HOB plumbing is too short for the water level in a sump, so if you "modify," basically extend the plumbing. You may be able to put the HOB skimmer in the sump, it's really going to depend on what skimmer you go with. Don't forget to look for the operating water level for your in sump skimmer, again if you go that route.

OP
OP
Shiggs

Shiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the suggestions I ordered that PSK HOB.

How fast do you think I could get it to cycle btw.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back