Tank ordered, gear help

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, I have finally ordered my tank. Went with the Redsea XXL 625 G2 as its the perfect fit for where my tank will be going. Probably will take a while to get here, so looking at the rest of what I will need (and want). This is my retirement gift to myself, so I'm going a little spendy. Sump will be placed one floor down. Please let me know if any of this is a bad fit:

3 x A360x LED
RSK 900 Internal Skimmer
Reefmat 1200 fleece roller
Apex control System w/ATO and leak detection
COR-20 Pump
2 x Reefwave 45

My real question is if the COR-20 will be able to handle the 15 feet (probably a little less, just being safe) of head from the sump to the tank. If not, what would be a good alternative?

Also, thoughts on the Reefwaves?

I just put my RO/DI system together today, so far so good.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The graph for the apex core 20 pump says it will pump 2000 gallons per hr at 20 ft on full constant power then as the height drops because it’s a dc smart motor you should be able to adjust accordingly at 15 ft so as to not blow the fish against the glass or into the next room .i think if it does this it’s more than adequate and incredible . I’ve been using the ecotech pumps for years and have always wanted to get one of these to hook up to my apex system . Go to BRS supply and look up this pump . It shows the graph . What are you using for a heater ? And kudos on the new build :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have FINALLY come to the realization that "Live Rock" of some kind should ABSOLUTLY used, as much as you can.
A fleece roller makes a skimmer sizing more important. Believe it or not it should be a size under a tank without one.
Put the sump on a bench, you will be happy you did, & your knees will thank you.
It makes everything easier to do so it gets done, & it will reduce the head on the pump.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have FINALLY come to the realization that "Live Rock" of some kind should ABSOLUTLY used, as much as you can.
A fleece roller makes a skimmer sizing more important. Believe it or not it should be a size under a tank without one.
Put the sump on a bench, you will be happy you did, & your knees will thank you.
It makes everything easier to do so it gets done, & it will reduce the head on the pump.
Sump is definitely going on a large bench. Already all set up and waiting :) That will also reduce my head for the pump.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, I have finally ordered my tank. Went with the Redsea XXL 625 G2 as its the perfect fit for where my tank will be going. Probably will take a while to get here, so looking at the rest of what I will need (and want). This is my retirement gift to myself, so I'm going a little spendy. Sump will be placed one floor down. Please let me know if any of this is a bad fit:

3 x A360x LED
RSK 900 Internal Skimmer
Reefmat 1200 fleece roller
Apex control System w/ATO and leak detection
COR-20 Pump
2 x Reefwave 45

My real question is if the COR-20 will be able to handle the 15 feet (probably a little less, just being safe) of head from the sump to the tank. If not, what would be a good alternative?

Also, thoughts on the Reefwaves?

I just put my RO/DI system together today, so far so good.

My first question was "What are the tank dimensions?". I looked it up and at 60" the 3x A360's will be just fine. I have 2 over my 55 and I feel that they will sufficiently cover about 24 x 24 x 20. I also only run mine at 80% for the peak period so again, you should be fine. I have mine set at 6.5" above the water surface so that could be a starting point for you.

I don't have any experience with sumps on a different floor, so I will defer to those who know on that.

As for the wavemakers... I personally don't see any real reason to drop high dollars on something that is really just a small water pump. What do the Reefwaves offer that others do not?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what equipment you already purchased but I have a red sea tank also. I want with all ecotech components because everything is on one app with complete pre sets and flexibility. I can change, lights, pump or flow on one app with my phone. Makes everything so easy but perhaps that is what apex does for you also.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main things I looked for with wavemakers is this:

A: Must have magnet mounting. Suction cups in SW are worthless.

B: Must be aimable to as much of a degree as possible.

C: Presets are nice. Controllability of output is good to have. It is great to have the ability to adjust it just right, but it is also one of those things where once you set it, you usually never mess with it again.

D: How easy/difficult is it to clean? (Pro tip here) before you get it wet, figure out how to take it apart for cleaning.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what equipment you already purchased but I have a red sea tank also. I want with all ecotech components because everything is on one app with complete pre sets and flexibility. I can change, lights, pump or flow on one app with my phone. Makes everything so easy but perhaps that is what apex does for you also.
It's the same with the apex. Everything is controllable with multiple redundancies. Pricey? Sure. But you only retire from 20 years of miserable military life once I guess... so might as well.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the wavemakers... I personally don't see any real reason to drop high dollars on something that is really just a small water pump. What do the Reefwaves offer that others do not?
First build for me, so I am going off of what others have said. Seems to be the same price as a nice powerhead. But again, I might be wrong. Open to any and all suggestions.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same with the apex. Everything is controllable with multiple redundancies. Pricey? Sure. But you only retire from 20 years of miserable military life once I guess... so might as well.
Not the same as apex which does a lot more !!!!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!! I just looked up the Reefwave 45 on Amazon.

OK, Your build, your budget, and you are the one who has to live with it. MY opinion... for $330 a pop (you said x2?) You could buy 10 of these:

I have 2 of these on my 55 and love them. They fit all of the requirements I listed above. At $65 each, Well worth the cost and not any more invasive looking if you place them right than what you are currently looking at.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!! I just looked up the Reefwave 45 on Amazon.

OK, Your build, your budget, and you are the one who has to live with it. MY opinion... for $330 a pop (you said x2?) You could buy 10 of these:

I have 2 of these on my 55 and love them. They fit all of the requirements I listed above. At $65 each, Well worth the cost and not any more invasive looking if you place them right than what you are currently looking at.

Hmmm, you have my attention. Back down the review hole I go.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, you have my attention. Back down the review hole I go.
Since you mentioned reviews.... Here is one on the Reefwave I saw while looking it up...

Patrick

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as maxspect gyre
Reviewed in the United States on April 6, 2022
Verified Purchase
It's been a year and I am disappointed in this pump. I got it because it was a bit cheaper and I do like red sea chemicals and salt. Thought give it a chance. It does not hold up as long as my maxspect. The red sea last 1 year and the one side had the bearing in the motor wear out or start to wobble. This is causing the blade to bump the cage so it creates a clicking sound which I can't have. It also will eventually wear out the blade. I also for some reason had to clean this pumps blades more often then the maxspect not sure why. I will be Goin back to maxspect gyre. I didn't give it a zero because it still operates just not like it should. I also wasn't a fan of programmability it didn't seem to have enough options.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 2 of these and maybe 2 jebao in the back to kick up detritus in any dead spots, but i like a lot of flow. I use 1 for an 80 gallon tank and it mostly stays below 60% unless im really lazy between cleaning and have to turn it up more

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim jager will forever be my favorite heater, I think 3 kessils will work but you may want to do 4 for more coverage or if doing an sps tank, alternatively you can add 1 or 2 led bars (orphek, quanta reef, reefbrite, etc) and the 3 kessils

Back