Tank overhanging stand (rimmed 40 breeder)

Bigshrimpin6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm working on setting up a 40 breeder on a red sea stand that I had around

Setting the 40b on it I noticed there's a slight overhang (<1/4inch on 2 sides)

on the sides that have the overhang most of the rim is on the stand

Should I put plywood underneath so there is no overhang, or is this not a big deal

thanks

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm working on setting up a 40 breeder on a red sea stand that I had around

Setting the 40b on it I noticed there's a slight overhang (<1/4inch on 2 sides)

on the sides that have the overhang most of the rim is on the stand

Should I put plywood underneath so there is no overhang, or is this not a big deal

thanks
I think this overhang is by design, at least on the larger tanks from this company. Your brand of aquarium fixes the front panel to the bottom panel(s) from the front. That is, the bottom edge of the front panel rests on the stand, not on the bottom panel. The reason the front/side edges are not supported by the stand is because of the stresses on the bottom edges of the front/side panels (also the back panel). Very often glass tanks fail because a stress on the bottom edge of one of these panels will crack it. This is also why glass tanks need leveling mats and acrylic tanks do not. A good analogy is why you should never pack your dinner plates on their edges when moving.

EDIT: I noticed your tank was a rimmed model, not a rimless. The above would not apply to that. Your idea of supporting the entire bottom would be the best course.

Last edited:

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe than sorry is the way to go, If most of the rim is on the stand it is probably ok, but I would not chance it.

OP
OP
B

Bigshrimpin6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this overhang is by design, at least on the larger tanks from this company. Your brand of aquarium fixes the front panel to the bottom panel(s) from the front. That is, the bottom edge of the front panel rests on the stand, not on the bottom panel. The reason the front/side edges are not supported by the stand is because of the stresses on the bottom edges of the front/side panels (also the back panel). Very often glass tanks fail because a stress on the bottom edge of one of these panels will crack it. This is also why glass tanks need leveling mats and acrylic tanks do not. A good analogy is why you should never pack your dinner plates on their edges when moving.

EDIT: I noticed your tank was a rimmed model, not a rimless. The above would not apply to that. Your idea of supporting the entire bottom would be the best course.
Yup!

At time of the original post my tank had been cycling for about a month. I decided to drain it and take the rocks out in order to refit the stand with a 2 pieces of 3/4in plywood (sealed and painted)
I basically had to restart the cycle, but it was the correct choice.

Tank is cycled and running pretty well now!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back