Tank paramaters ok?

Saltwater-Newfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a few issues with my corals and Annomes, here is the most resent tests results.

Alk 116
Ph 7.8
Phos 3.7
Ca 373
Mg 1299
Amo 0
Nitrite .1
Nitrate 3
Salinity 1.025

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a few issues with my corals and Annomes, here is the most resent tests results.

Alk 116
Ph 7.8
Phos 3.7
Ca 373
Mg 1299
Amo 0
Nitrite .1
Nitrate 3
Salinity 1.025
Provided your phosphate is in ppm, then it is way; way too high. I aim for 0.03-0.06 ppm.

What unit is your alkalinity?

What kind of issues are you experiencing?

OP
OP
S

Saltwater-Newfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say that the alk unit is ppm. My local store did it for me. My main issues are a few corals are either dying off or shrinking, they were big and beautiful but now you can see right though them. My annonmes were nice big bubble tipped but within the last month or so they have shriveled up and always on the move now.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say that the alk unit is ppm. My local store did it for me. My main issues are a few corals are either dying off or shrinking, they were big and beautiful but now you can see right though them. My annonmes were nice big bubble tipped but within the last month or so they have shriveled up and always on the move now.
If that is the case, your alkalinity is rather low.

I aim for 8 dKH (143 ppm) so you might want to slowly raise this up.

Your pH is rather low as well, although not at a dangerous level. I aim for 8.2.

Calcium and magnesium is fine.

Your phosphate is, as I said way- way to high and will impede growth. Bring that down; slowly!

Q: Do you have proper circulation of water? Return pump, power heads etc? - or do you have too much flow?
Q: Describe your mechanical, biological and chemical filtration
Q: Do you have test kits available at home to do regular testing?
Q: Can you share some pictures of the corals?

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS-AquariumParameter-HP-Hero-2400-v2.jpg

OP
OP
S

Saltwater-Newfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the case, your alkalinity is rather low.

I aim for 8 dKH (143 ppm) so you might want to slowly raise this up.

Your pH is rather low as well, although not at a dangerous level. I aim for 8.2.

Calcium and magnesium is fine.

Your phosphate is, as I said way- way to high and will impede growth. Bring that down; slowly!

Q: Do you have proper circulation of water? Return pump, power heads etc? - or do you have too much flow?
Q: Describe your mechanical, biological and chemical filtration
Q: Do you have test kits available at home to do regular testing?
Q: Can you share some pictures of the corals?
The answers to your questions are as following.

I would say I have proper circulation, I have a power head ( its getting old so it does need to be replaced) I also have a AquaClear filter system and a skimmer.

The filter system we have is just a AquaClear that runs the three items that they recommend, the sponge carbon and white filter inserts.

I dont have test kits besides a Hanna ULR Phosphorus and Nitrite and Nitrate kits from Salfli. I am planning on getting more its just money issues popped up so i had to rely on my LFS to do the testing for me.

When I get home I can get some photos.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answers to your questions are as following.

I would say I have proper circulation, I have a power head ( its getting old so it does need to be replaced) I also have a AquaClear filter system and a skimmer.

The filter system we have is just a AquaClear that runs the three items that they recommend, the sponge carbon and white filter inserts.

I dont have test kits besides a Hanna ULR Phosphorus and Nitrite and Nitrate kits from Salfli. I am planning on getting more its just money issues popped up so i had to rely on my LFS to do the testing for me.

When I get home I can get some photos.

Its that 3.7 the readout on the ULR phosphorus ? Or is that converted to ppm. If that is the raw reading on the ULR phosphorus, then you have wayyyy too little phosphate. Its the opposite if that's the ppm in phosphate. You also have very little nitrate which could be an issue too.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this tank? Perfect parameters in a young tank don't mean much.

OP
OP
S

Saltwater-Newfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its that 3.7 the readout on the ULR phosphorus ? Or is that converted to ppm. If that is the raw reading on the ULR phosphorus, then you have wayyyy too little phosphate. Its the opposite if that's the ppm in phosphate. You also have very little nitrate which could be an issue too.
This reading came from my LFS I havent used my Hanna yet.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reading came from my LFS I havent used my Hanna yet.
Aye its from the fish store all right, we still need to know which unit you’re testing weather its ppm phosphorous- or ppm phosphate. It makes a massive difference :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is about 15 years old. I am taking this tank over from my dad who has no time to take care of it so I am helping. Its gone a bit without any TLC
How long has everything been stable? What lighting is being used?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alk 116
Ph 7.8
Phos 3.7
Ca 373
Mg 1299
Amo 0
Nitrite .1
Nitrate 3
Salinity 1.025

Your water parameters could improve.

- Is ALK really 116? If so, that is extremely high.
- pH should be at least 8.0.
- Phosphates are high.
- Calcium should be around 420.
- Nitrite should be zero.

Do you have pictures of your Nems?

If your parameters posted here are accurate, they definitely are contributing to your Nem woes.

OP
OP
S

Saltwater-Newfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main coral we are concerned about. It used to be big and brown, but you could never see through it or have holes throughout the top of it.

Attachments

• 20221003_175308.jpg
    20221003_175308.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221003_175400.jpg
    20221003_175400.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
S

Saltwater-Newfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo of three of our nems. We have 7 or 8 in total.

Two of them did get sucked up into the filter tube but we caught them in time before anything major happened. That happened a few months ago and they were fine after that happened.

Attachments

• 20221003_175320.jpg
    20221003_175320.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 24

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is from a spin test then your alk is approximately 6.4 which is low and as far as phosphates I’ve yet to get a accurate reading . mine doesn’t even pic up phosphates within proper parameters.it keeps reading zero and the company’s margin for accuracy + or - is not, in my opinion , favorable for a phosphate reading . I would suggest using a Hanna ulr . I now use Hanna for alk and phosphates. Your mag and calcium is low and nitrites should read zero . I keep my nitrates between 15 -10 ppm , my phosphates around 0.07 - 1. Good luck !!!

OP
OP
S

Saltwater-Newfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is from a spin test then your alk is approximately 6.4 which is low and as far as phosphates I’ve yet to get a accurate reading . mine doesn’t even pic up phosphates within proper parameters.it keeps reading zero and the company’s margin for accuracy + or - is not, in my opinion , favorable for a phosphate reading . I would suggest using a Hanna ulr . I now use Hanna for alk and phosphates. Your mag and calcium is low and nitrites should read zero . I keep my nitrates between 15 -10 ppm , my phosphates around 0.07 - 1. Good luck !!!
I do have a Hanna Phosphorus ULR I just haven't had a chance to take it out yet. How is the Hanna reader for Alk?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen Nems that looked that way. It almost always comes down to low ALK.

Water changes are important for nutrient export. But they are equally important for replenishing consumable elements such as calcium alkalinity and bicarbonate.

Do FAITHFUL, 20% weekly water changes over the next 8 weeks and watch things bounce back.

You must be willing to put in the work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back