Tank Parameters and Flameback Coral Shrimp

Computom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow Reef nuts!
Ive been lingering in the background for some time. My system has been running for about 1 year in its present form, and another 18 months in its previous incarnation. a year ago I upsized my system from a 20gal dt, a 10 gal sump, and a tiny refugium. my current setup is as follows:

50gal display tank
20ish gal sump
5 gal refuge with Cheato
Tunze 9001 skimmer
Lots of live rock, honestly not sure of weight, but the dt is full.
2 inch sandbed in dt and fuge.
lotsa pods, worms and little starfish and tiny snails and whatnot.
10-15 hermits
10 or so various snails.
mushroom corals
orange Ricoria
kenya tree
zoos of several colours
zenia like corals (not sure exact name)
4 bubble tip anemone (started with one!)
Parameters....
salinity .25
phosphate 0
ammonia 0
Ph 7.8
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 15ppm
magnesium 1400ppm
alkalinity 5.9 dKH/2.1 meq
calcium 305ppm

The best i can tell from sifting through the various opinions of you all is that i am in a decent range for everything except alk and calcium.
I havent been adding anything or dosing anything. Mainly ive been patiently waiting for things to get stabilized before adding any fish or harder to keep corals and inverts.
That being said, I was out at one of the LFS (in ottawa, Ontario) where they had a 'blue striped coral shrimp'
I brought him home.
Tried to look up info, and only found a blue banded coral shrimp, which is NOT at all what this dude is. After much searching, ive come to the conclusion that he is a 'flameback coral shrimp' or Stenopus pyronotus.

So, im just curious to hear if anyone has any input on my parameters, and also if anyone has ever had one of these cute little shrimps? very little info have I been able to find.
He has molted 1x and seems to be doing well, eating bristleworms and bits of algae and frozen food. I would post a pic if I could get one. he seems to hide all day for the most part, on the prowl at night.
Thanks for any input!

OP
OP
C

Computom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow Reef nuts!
Ive been lingering in the background for some time. My system has been running for about 1 year in its present form, and another 18 months in its previous incarnation. a year ago I upsized my system from a 20gal dt, a 10 gal sump, and a tiny refugium. my current setup is as follows:

50gal display tank
20ish gal sump
5 gal refuge with Cheato
Tunze 9001 skimmer
Lots of live rock, honestly not sure of weight, but the dt is full.
2 inch sandbed in dt and fuge.
lotsa pods, worms and little starfish and tiny snails and whatnot.
10-15 hermits
10 or so various snails.
mushroom corals
orange Ricoria
kenya tree
zoos of several colours
zenia like corals (not sure exact name)
4 bubble tip anemone (started with one!)
Parameters....
salinity .25
phosphate 0
ammonia 0
Ph 7.8
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 15ppm
magnesium 1400ppm
alkalinity 5.9 dKH/2.1 meq
calcium 305ppm

The best i can tell from sifting through the various opinions of you all is that i am in a decent range for everything except alk and calcium.
I havent been adding anything or dosing anything. Mainly ive been patiently waiting for things to get stabilized before adding any fish or harder to keep corals and inverts.
That being said, I was out at one of the LFS (in ottawa, Ontario) where they had a 'blue striped coral shrimp'
I brought him home.
Tried to look up info, and only found a blue banded coral shrimp, which is NOT at all what this dude is. After much searching, ive come to the conclusion that he is a 'flameback coral shrimp' or Stenopus pyronotus.

So, im just curious to hear if anyone has any input on my parameters, and also if anyone has ever had one of these cute little shrimps? very little info have I been able to find.
He has molted 1x and seems to be doing well, eating bristleworms and bits of algae and frozen food. I would post a pic if I could get one. he seems to hide all day for the most part, on the prowl at night.
Thanks for any input!
I could post a link to my shrimp, but not sure the etiquette of posting links to other sites.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back