Tank Parameters - Hair Algae Issue

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to take the time to due a full battery (all that I had on hand) of tests this morning. I have been fighting hair algae in my tank and when I think I have a solution well it just returns. So I know I am not addressing the real issue.

I have come to believe that it might be a result of new tank syndrome. When I started the tank in March(ish) I used 100% dry rock but treated it as I had previously treated live rock. I know now this was a mistake.

Currently I am doing by weekly water changes of 15 gallons on a total volume of 60-70 gallons. I have been running GFO for the last month and a half to control phosphates.

Additionally I dose Vibrant weekly - Very minimal glass cleaning, but hair algae just keeps coming.

Parameters this morning:

ALK - 8.5 dkh (Hannah Checker)
CAL - 495 PPM (Hannah Checker)
Phos - 0.06 PPM (Hannah Checker) - Has maintained an average of 0.06 for the last month.
Nitrate - 48.9 PPM (Hannah Checker) - Attribute very high number in part to a loss of two fish over the last week and potentially not cleaning the vial prior to testing. I would have retested but honestly the process is a little long.

Feeding wise I alter froze (1 cube) to pellet each day.

Light cycle is 8 hours a day at 35% on a Radion G4 Pro roughly 12 inches above the tank.

Besides water changes and doing the test correctly any recommendations to lower Nitrates and also any Hair Algae advice or just keep cleaning the rock and doing what I am doing.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock always takes soooooo much longer to mature.

I would triple check those Nitrate values when things settle down before moving forward.. Dead fish will actually reduce nitrate downstream because they arent producing ammonia. Vibrant cant work with nitrate at 50.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock always takes soooooo much longer to mature.

I would triple check those Nitrate values when things settle down before moving forward.. Dead fish will actually reduce nitrate downstream because they arent producing ammonia. Vibrant cant work with nitrate at 50.
Good thing I am at 48.9 :)

Just trying to find the small silver linings.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back